Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

KX and AF 360 results inconsistent

I have a KX and just purchased the AF360 flash. I have read the flash manual several times and tried many settings but am not able to get consistent results.

These were taken with the same settings: camera in P mode, flash set to PTTL and auto zoom. The first one is with the flash pointed directly at the subject and the other with 45 degree bounce, no other changes. Also I was using the 18-55.

Also the camera seems to select a slow shutter speed, 1/30 or 1/15 when using the flash in P, Av or M. If I switch to Tv and set to 1/100 for example, the camera is always set at f4. What am I doing wrong here?

I am looking for some assistance with camera and/or flash settings. The manual is not clear on this.

10-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my flash in manual mode mostly. Flash freezes the movements in the pictures, so don't worry about low speed. f-stop (and flash power) decides how bright you want, shooting speed decides how bright/dim your want for ambient/background. iso setting moves all other setting up/down. i use dedicated flash/p-ttl for some special like second curtain sync or high speed sync. you can also safely use manual flash with Av mode. lots of hints: Strobist
Best regards.
10-25-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Bob,

Do you have the AF point locked to AE in the Custom Menu. I've found that this seems to make P-TTL flash more consistent to what I want to expose correctly. It makes sense -- I almost always want the exposure to be correct on the thing that I focused on. . .

P-TTL is usually given a bad rap IMO. I've always found that it works well. It's not as sophisticated as Canon's or especially Nikon's, but it's really pretty good if you take the time to try to really understand it.

I always shoot in Av mode to control DOF unless I want a specific effect like "dragging the shutter" to get more ambient light in the shot. The short flash duration will usually prevent any motion blur as hoanpham stated, so the shutter speed is normally a lot less relevant in flash photography. There are a lot of exceptions for different circumstances, but for general flash shots, Av, Matrix or center weighted metering, and a fixed ISO should work fine. If you get consistent over or underexposures, then set the Flash Ev compensation accordingly.

Scott
10-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the above replies. I guess the slow shutter speed make sense, I am used to my SF1 film camera that always uses 1/125 for flash. It just seems like the flash would have enough power to use, say 1/100 and an f stop smaller than 4.

Scott, I will check my settings for the AE, and experiment some more.

Any ideas on why the difference on the two photos? The only setting that was changed was in the first the flash was pointed directly at the subject and the second was 45 degree bounce.

Last edited by Bob photo 4 life; 11-01-2010 at 02:40 PM.