Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

How to pay for an item bought from Marketplace

Hi,

Would anyone please share their experiences with buying used items or equipment (cameras, lenses) from the Pentax Marketplace. I haven't done it before. What happens after I send a PM to the seller, and s/he accepts it? How do I use PayPal? How do I deposit money into my PayPal account? (wire, transfer?)

Thanks for your help.

10-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually, the seller will provide the information you need to pay via paypal, in a PM to you. Most people use a credit card to pay via paypal.

HTH
10-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dahlia Quote
Hi,

Would anyone please share their experiences with buying used items or equipment (cameras, lenses) from the Pentax Marketplace. I haven't done it before. What happens after I send a PM to the seller, and s/he accepts it? How do I use PayPal? How do I deposit money into my PayPal account? (wire, transfer?)

Thanks for your help.
I haven't purchased anything here on the Marketplace, but Paypal is easy.

You must first sign up with Paypal and link a credit card, debit card or checking account to your Paypal account. I have a seperate checking acct, that I use just for this. I have both the debit card for this account and the bank account itself tied to my Paypal account.

When you send money to someone, if there is sufficient money in your paypal account, they will simply use that. If there is not sufficient money in your paypal account, they will draw on the credit or debit card. So, you don't have to deposit anything in your paypal account. You just have to have it in your checking account or have enough credit left on your credit card.

If you receive money via paypal, it stays in your paypal account until you draw it out. You can have them send you a check, but that takes a while and they charge for it. I just have them transfer it to my checking account, which takes 3-5 business days, but its faster than a snail-mailed check, and its free.

Paul Noble
10-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, that has changed since I first got a paypal account, which I do not have now. But the people putting money in my paypal account didn't have to have a paypal account if they used a credit or debit card to upload the money.

Last edited by photolady95; 10-25-2010 at 10:59 PM.
10-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I haven't purchased anything here on the Marketplace, but Paypal is easy.

You must first sign up with Paypal and link a credit card, debit card or checking account to your Paypal account. I have a seperate checking acct, that I use just for this. I have both the debit card for this account and the bank account itself tied to my Paypal account.

When you send money to someone, if there is sufficient money in your paypal account, they will simply use that. If there is not sufficient money in your paypal account, they will draw on the credit or debit card. So, you don't have to deposit anything in your paypal account. You just have to have it in your checking account or have enough credit left on your credit card.

If you receive money via paypal, it stays in your paypal account until you draw it out. You can have them send you a check, but that takes a while and they charge for it. I just have them transfer it to my checking account, which takes 3-5 business days, but its faster than a snail-mailed check, and its free.

Paul Noble
It's also worth noting that you can choose to use either a credit card or the bank account as a Funding option. I've never tested it but if paypal tries to withdraw money from a bank account and the funds aren't there to cover it, there may be an overdraft fee. Either way though, it will use the balance that is in the paypal account and take the remainder from the CC or bank account.

10-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
please share for experience if i want to pay with bank transfer... is it difficult..?
10-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sentul kenyut Quote
please share for experience if i want to pay with bank transfer... is it difficult..?
International bank transfers usually are very expensive...

10-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, that has changed since I first got a paypal account, which I do not have now. But the people putting money in my paypal account didn't have to have a paypal account if they used a credit or debit card to upload the money.

Its been that way for the eight or so years that I've used PayPal. That's why I resisted for a long time. There was no way to simply go to Paypal, enter a credit card and make a one-time payment to, say an eBay seller. They insisted that I open a paypal account and leave my cc information on file with them.

I know it is possible to do it without opening an account, because the county I work for accepts cc payments for various services, such as property taxes and dog licenses via our website. We do not store cc info any longer than it takes to receive authorization from MC/Visa.

This bothers me a little, because in all my 38 years in IT, I've never heard of anyone stealing cc info by "listening in" while you make a cc purchase. They steal the info by hacking into a large site (like PayPal) that has stored the info and steal 500,000 cc numbers at once. Paypal insistes that their site is secure, but it would be more secure if the information weren't there in the first place.
10-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
International bank transfers usually are very expensive...
To the tune of $50 PLUS any currency Exchange fee the bank chooses to charge. I've done it once, at the buyers expense, I then closed the bank account when the transaction was complete.

10-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't know if this applies in other countries ?

Here we have a 'Gift card' backed/administered by Visa and available through postal outlets.

If I want to make a web purchase then I can buy a card (for a small administrative fee) and have it loaded with whatever amount I wish.

In effect it becomes a debit card, limited to the preloaded value.
It works and is accepted by merchants as if it were a normal Visa card.

I can use it for a one-off larger purchase or several smaller purchases with the security that no site will hold details of personal cc and the total amount exposed (should there ever be a problem) is limited to the preloaded value.

Once the amount on the card is spent the card is 'dead' and I get another.

I have used this method for several years though I note that Visa now have a 'reloadable' version that they promote each time I purchase, which I politely decline..

As Visa is a worldwide organisation this product is probably available elsewhere though not promoted. YMMV.
10-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Paypal will let you make one or two credit card purchases without having to open an account with them, but only one or 2.
10-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

seller would usually provide his/her email address registered to Paypal. Paypal would then automatically verify and see if the email is registered with Paypal showing the name and paypal account of the seller. Paypal accounts require credit card accounts inorder to register and able to use paypal. you can use your credit card account under paypal to make a purchase. this is done by sending money to the specified email address given by the seller and putting in the total amount that has been agreed upon by both parties. this includes the price of the item + shipping charges. the fastest, easiest and safest way IMO is to pay thru credit card on paypal transactions. I dont understand why other sellers prefer money order, other wire transfer methods and , e-checks (which takes longer to clear). I usually pay thru credit since I want it done and over with within a minute and save everyone's time.
11-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
Forum Member

I'm surprised the lengths people will go to to avoid using their credit card online. I don't know of any credit cards in Australia that will charge you for purchases made if your card is stolen. Which makes a lot of sense because they don't want you to be too afraid to use it.

Obviously you should still be intelligent about who you hand it over to but if you can't even trust it with PayPal you might as well not have one. (just my opinion)
11-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stiv Quote
I'm surprised the lengths people will go to to avoid using their credit card online. I don't know of any credit cards in Australia that will charge you for purchases made if your card is stolen. Which makes a lot of sense because they don't want you to be too afraid to use it.

Obviously you should still be intelligent about who you hand it over to but if you can't even trust it with PayPal you might as well not have one. (just my opinion)
I've yet to have a problem with using a credit card for online purchases. As long as you are smart about it. NEVER NEVER NEVER sign into your CC account through an Email Link, Worse thing you can do and it's one of the easiest ways for Hackers to get into your PayPal account. If at all possible, do not use a public computer (or internet connection) to log into your accounts. Keep an eye on the account and if you see something screwy, report it immediately.

11-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I've yet to have a problem with using a credit card for online purchases. As long as you are smart about it. NEVER NEVER NEVER sign into your CC account through an Email Link, Worse thing you can do and it's one of the easiest ways for Hackers to get into your PayPal account. If at all possible, do not use a public computer (or internet connection) to log into your accounts. Keep an eye on the account and if you see something screwy, report it immediately.

the danger on logging in your cc account thru email is that you may get diverted to a phishing site which are made to those unsuspecting people to login in their account but in fact they are giving away their info. it is a must that people should check and authenticate who the sender really is by checking the email add source if it's a spoof address made to appear something authentic, and to check the email website link if it's actually a real site and not a phishing site.
« So.. | Pentax i10 »