Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

Pentax K-x -- toddler cam?

I'm looking at the K-x to take pictures of my kids (one toddler, one infant). I need great image quality, good indoor low-light performance w/o flash, and minimal shutter lag. I'm mainly going to take family pictures, of them playing, goofing around, etc. My budget is around $500. Is the K-x a good choice?

10-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Probalby 10,000 of the photos I've taken on my K-x were exactly that. So I'd have to say yes, it is a great choice for family photos.

Last edited by twitch; 10-26-2010 at 08:36 PM.
10-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Kx would make an excellent choice. I also have a toddler and an infant and the Kx is a great indoor, low-light camera. It's very quick and responsive and I would highly recommend it. If you can stretch your budget just a little I would recommend adding the DA35/2.4 as well.

10-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-X is a perfect choice. I have it and done a lot of familly photo

10-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

The K-x is my first non P&S camera and I've had it about 5 months, so I'm just learning about photography, but as a begginer who wanted the camera to get great family shots I have been delighted. Can't say the shots I'm taking are "great photos" but I am very happy with what even i can get from this camera. I would highly reccomend it for you.

I bought the K-x to take photos of my 2.5 year old. I love it for all the reasons you have stated, price image quality, low light performance, shutter lag - with my p&s I just missed so many shots. With the DSLR I can take so many shots so quickly that I get some wonderful shots of my son, I know i would have otherwise missed. i know thats not very skillfull but it works for me when I want to get his expressions captured. I have also picked up the 'fast 50' everyone recomends, I got a SMC Takumar 50 1.4 and. I have been able to shoot some beautiful dreamy movie like video with it, much nicer than what my video camera can do, but it is manual focus so takes some practice. For kids indoor I think a wider lens would be more suitable than a 50mm. dgaies sugestion is a good one I think. I also got a cheap $100 AU 55-200 which is great for getting 'up close' to a toddler without disturbing what they are doing.

Oh and one more thing, this forum has been an amazing source of learning and support for me as a new camera user. Maybe there are similar places for the other brands but all other things being equal, I'd buy Pentax again just so I can come in here for help
10-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There you have it

Brian, first of all welcome to the forums, and I gotta say that it looks like your K-x choice earns 5 stars all the way down the board. Good luck with it.

NaCl(and post some shots!)H2O
10-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely get the K-x. I just need to pick out a color. I've been researching this for a couple weeks -- I'm glad I took the time. It looks like a great camera.

That pic above is great, and is exactly what I'm hoping to get of my kids. Is that with a flash, or without? What lens?

I'll definitely add a couple more lenses in the future -- a longer zoom, and maybe the DA35/2.4 that was mentioned.

Thanks again. I'll post some pics when I get the camera.
10-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
Ananta Androscoggin

Looks like two of the 12 colors are no longer listed on the Pentax Webstore, so what's left of those missing two (the bright blue and the pink?) in the distribution channels may be all that there are going to be available.

10-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brian78 Quote
That pic above is great, and is exactly what I'm hoping to get of my kids. Is that with a flash, or without? What lens?
Thanks. That pics was taken with the 77/1.8 and no flash, ISO 1600.

Here's another with the same lens, also with no flash and ISO 1600.

10-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brian78 Quote
I'm looking at the K-x to take pictures of my kids (one toddler, one infant). I need great image quality, good indoor low-light performance w/o flash, and minimal shutter lag. I'm mainly going to take family pictures, of them playing, goofing around, etc. My budget is around $500. Is the K-x a good choice?
Given the tight budget, there is no better choice than the K-x. The K-x outperforms (by a wide margin) essentially every other camera in its price class in terms of high ISO/low light performance.

--DragonLord
10-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got an 18 mo. old grandson who goes full tilt when he's awake and I love the video on the K-X for catching him in action. Good clear video and good sound, too.
10-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently shot photos at an event and managed to capture dancers sharply in mid air with my K-x. I also have a very fast toddler and he's been a lot easier to capture as well. Big thumbs up from me