Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Reply to flickeroo:
I just finished highschool (yr12) and we were the last year to use the darkroom, the school said that film is irelevant to the new ciriculum, WTF. Almost every course I have looked at film is no where to be seen in the ciriculum.
I started off with a fuji digital camera but then my mum gave me her pentax sp with 2 zoom a wide angle and 2 standard lenses. There is somthing about film that makes it that bit more fun being able to experiment and having to wait to see the results.

This course it is compulsory to have a DSLR and macbook looks like my car will have to wait :S

10-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Kid Quote
Is it really worth spending double?
NO...it is not. Right now, you just need something that's good enough for your courses over the next 3 years. By the time you graduate, the K5 will most likely be considered near obsolete (not really...but it'll be viewed the same way we see the K20 now). That's just the nature of DSLRs. On the other hand, if you invest in a great lens or two, the chances are very good that they'll still be considered great after graduation. So, here's your choice as I see it...you can buy a great DSLR with a so-so lens now and in 3 years, you'll have a so-so lens and an old DSLR. Or, you can buy an old DSLR and a great lens now and in 3 years you'll still have an old DSLR and a great lens. In one scenario, you'll need to upgrade your camera and your lens. In the other, you'll only need to upgrade the camera.
10-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Reply to taomaas:
Looking around the K5 will only cost me about $400 more than the K7
And if I wait till early next year the price should drop futher veryyy relieved!
Thanks for your input I can see where your coming from.
10-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Don't count out a K-20. As TaoMaas pointed out, lenses are going to be the important part of the package. A K-20 will probably see you thru the next three years and leave more money for glass/computer.

10-31-2010, 06:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Reply to taomaas:
Looking around the K5 will only cost me about $400 more than the K7
And if I wait till early next year the price should drop futher veryyy relieved!
Thanks for your input I can see where your coming from.
Glass goes on forever...DSLRs die an early death. Just look around this forum. We're still talking about lenses from 20-30 years ago! Compare that to how many people long for an *st D? Eh....not too many. The *ist D was a great camera when it came out (and sold for as much as a K7 or K5), but has been surpassed. Seriously, my friend...stretch your money...buy glass.
10-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Digital cameras are wonderful. I really did not start shooting until digital really became viable. That said, for digital cameras are essentially very portable and special purpose computers. Computers have a half life of 6 months. They are always being replaced and given their quick turnover, when they fail, they usually are not worth repairing (unless they are VERY expensive).

Can you get around this - with digital bodies - not really. So, what I would do is go with a new Kx and for $30 get a 2 year extended warranty. For a 3 year span, if something goes wrong - they fix it. Will it have the two wheels, and all the controls, no - but through the menu you can do everything. The K7 has this, but at an increased price. As others have written, the K5 is nice but go with a k20 or K7, and put the rest into glass. I really doubt if you can find a K20 new available - so you would need to go with a used one (and the extended warranty would not be available).

What I have done, is when I need a new body, is to buy what is being replaced. When the K7 was announced - the K20 hit $650 - down from its introductory price of some $1300. Yes, it is nice to have the best with all the bells and whistles, but as a professional photographer you are going to need to survive and that means financially - so you need to watch your capital expenditures.

The K5 is around double the price of the K7 and looking at the comparison: Pentax K-5, K-7, and K20D Compared only real diffrence is 2 more mp 2 more frames per second and better iso.
Is it really worth spending double?
No - go with the K7 - it has everything you need with all the creature comforts - buy the extended warranty and start looking for glass. Craigslist is a good start along with the Marketplace here. Note - e.g., for a 50, get the A 50/1.7 as its fast enough for DoF control, but affordable. The 1.4 and 1.2 are nice but expensive - the 1.2 is VERY expensive.

Lenses - there are several type. The completely manual ones (M42, K and M), and then the semi intelligent A, FA, DA etc. Then the motorized SDM and CD ones. Or what I would classify them as - totally manual, screwdrive and then motorized. Pentax in the past has had some problems with the motorized (SDM) and the new CD are apparently suppose to fix this. The SDM are also the newer faster lenses (both in aperture and focusing speeds).

I have stayed with the fully manual and screwdrive ones, since they are simple. The screwdrive offer autofocusing and also automatic apertures. They are older, usually cheaper (then there are the FA31, FA43 and FA77 Limited lenses - screwdrive but pricey due to superior optics and magical qualities). They also they usually do not fail because of their reliance on very limited electronics.

Hope that helps (by the way - I have two sons in college, so juggling comes with the territory),

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-31-2010 at 10:12 AM.
10-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that your instructor has said pentax is OK. Get the best deal you can on a new body

I would suggest K7 and spend the extra on lenses. Lenses will far outlast a camera especially good ones. But this is only really true for pentax. Only tue top of the line nikon will meter with manual aperture lenses and there are two series of canon lenses that are just not useable at all on modern canon cameras.

The k7 is a very capable camera and by the time you are finished school you will be ready to replace it for whatever newer technology has to offer. You might want to look at the lens forum and the poll on what people think a kit should include