Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need some help

Hey guys
I need some help :S
I am about to start a 3 year photography bachelor
I am sold on the k7 but is it worth spending the extra money going to the k5?
Thanks

10-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera is the solution. Start by defining your requirements in order to get the best solution.
10-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
The camera is the solution. Start by defining your requirements in order to get the best solution.
I think this is the best answer.

Define your needs and budget. Maybe a second hand one for your studies?
You need the WR? Otherwise, take a look at Kr or Kx. Better high ISO than K7.

I know I'll change my K7 for a K5 as soon as possible because it happens that I shoot a lot of concerts and other low-light events.

If you really need low light, choose something else than K7.
If you really need WR, go K7.
If you need both, go K5.
10-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
1,000,000th Poster!

Depends on your budget, as sad as that may sound.

If you're going into a bachelor's degree in photography, you probably have a good idea already of how you shoot, what you want to do with your photography, your style.
You will obviously need something that will permit you to experiment and make what you see in your mind appear in the picture.
Any camera from the K10D onward will let you do that, if you work within their parameters. Even then, people still managed to do stunning low-light photography if they knew how to get the most out of their gear.

I think being a student, you should really look into WR (K10D, K20D, K7, K5) because you want to be able to work efficiently in any environment without being slowed down by bad weather conditions.

Then again, if you wish to do fashion or food photography, you might not need WR.

What's your style?

10-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter

To paraphrase Clinton, it depends what "it" is. However, I say buy the most you can afford, and be prepared to pay more than that (there is always something)....
10-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Pentax kid!

I say, if you have the money and is thinking about the K-5, then go for it 'coz you will use it for sure for the 3 years you are studying..at least you won't be saying in those 3 years that you should have gone for the upgrade or would want an upgrade.

Go with whatever will make you happy and take that second thoughts out of your mind permanently!
10-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Any of the mentioned cameras will do. The later the model, and the more sophisticated the features, the more you can simply point and shoot to get good results, but what would you learn with that? I firmly believe the best way to learn photography is to put everything on manual.
On the other hand, I agree with GerryL. The more you learn about photography the more you're likely to want a K5, and you should be satisfied with that for at least a couple of years.
10-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't agree with most of the replies. You need to ask at your school and find out what is involved in the curriculum, whether you may have any access to equipment for which you would want to have a camera that's compatible, etc. There may be limited dslr photography involved, and if you are just starting, you may do minimal photography of any kind for the first year or two, so you might want to save your money for an improved model later on.

Paul

10-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
1,000,000th Poster!

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't agree with most of the replies. You need to ask at your school and find out what is involved in the curriculum, whether you may have any access to equipment for which you would want to have a camera that's compatible, etc. There may be limited dslr photography involved, and if you are just starting, you may do minimal photography of any kind for the first year or two, so you might want to save your money for an improved model later on.

Paul
Paul is right.

You might have to do traditional SLR photography.
The advantage of Pentax is the ability to mount the same lenses on both SLRs and the newer DSLRs, so you can possibly maximize your investment that way.
But you should check first what's involved.
10-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

K5 if you can afford it.
10-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Paul is 100% right

I have heard some course instructors insist on specific cameras, usually not pentax, for some reason no one can really explain.

What you should do is ask the instructor not just a recommended model or make, but the specific functions he wants you to have with the camera and I assume, other attachments as well (Flash specifically comes to mind)

you may also ask if there will be any film shooting, because idelally you might just want to have a film body that can use your DSLR lenses.

If he is OK with pentax you are in luck because there are some really good options.
10-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Paul is 100% right
What you should do is ask the instructor not just a recommended model or make, but the specific functions he wants you to have with the camera and I assume, other attachments as well (Flash specifically comes to mind)

you may also ask if there will be any film shooting, because idelally you might just want to have a film body that can use your DSLR lenses....
+1 with Paul and Lowell

If your instructor of Ok with Pentax, you will have the options to share the same lens(es) with both film camera and digital camera. An added bonus.... when your are on a limited budget.
10-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
for some reason no one can really explain
Because they are friends with/sponsored by the local Canon sales rep. True story.
10-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To be honest I am not really sure what field I want to go into yet and I dont have any particluar style :S
bit of landscape,sports,architectural not keen on heading into food or fashion.
The main reason for choosing pentax is that you can buy old lenses to experiment/learn and only cost $50-$300 very cheap compared to nikon or canon!
I have got into contact with my teacher and explained my reasons he said to do some research, he said pentax is fine!
K7-$1300 , K5 around $2800 both with
18-55mm AL WR kit lens.
The K5 is around double the price of the K7 and looking at the comparison: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/115455-pentax...-compared.html only real diffrence is 2 more mp 2 more frames per second and better iso.
Is it really worth spending double?

10-30-2010, 04:31 AM   #15
1,000,000th Poster!

I'm still learning to use my K-x so I might not be the best one to say if it's actually worth paying double.
I can't do a hands-on comparison.

What I did notice was that many people kept their K20D when the K-7 was the flagship DSLR.
It seems now that the K-5 is enough of a jump for many to switch.

I know that the added ISO of the K-x has permitted me to take shots that the others (K20D, K-7) would not have let me. Granted the well-lit shots they take are of higher IQ.

Just out of curiosity, will you be doing a lot of traditional film photography?