Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #1

Pentax RAW software

I have a Pentax K10D and have recently started shooting in RAW+ format. I didn't understand what RAW was before so I never messed with it. I have lost the cd that came with the camera that has Photo Lab on it. I tried downloading the update and then through the command prompt using "/s" to get the entire verison of it. This did not work. It asked me to put in the cd that I don't have. So my question is, if I can't use the Photo Lab software that came with the camera, what software do you recommend?

10-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You should be able to find many similar threads in this forum about that same question, but in short, you can very easily (and free) try a number of quickly downloadable raw converters/viewers such as Picassa (most basic), raw therapee - Download page revised - , Gimp/urfraw, photoscape, or some free trails such as Lightroom, Adobe camera raw, or DXO mark.

If I were you and just starting raw, try raw therapee and when you feel you enjoy the results from raw shooting, try Lightroom or Dxo, etc for something a bit more robust. Picassa is a nice little viewer though and the price is right (free).

Use the search function or loo through the digital-processing-software-printing section here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/

Jason
10-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My recommendation is that you get a copy of a Photo Lab CD from some Pentaxian near you. Then istall the update that you have downloaded. My reason for this - but this is just based upon my own K200D experiences - is that all the free/low-cost stand-alone software that I have tried do not interpret earlier Pentax RAW formats (be it PEF or DNG) satisfactory.

If your budget is not an issue, you could turn to the more expensive products (Lightroom) from Adobe. I believe you may download a trial version and thus, test wheteher that is sómething for you.

As said, that is based upon my K200D experiences. Others may have another say to that?

Best Regards / Stone G.
10-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I never was a fan of what is included with the Pentax bodies over the last few years (silkypix) hence my suggestions below...others may feel the same/different, but how silkypix "interprets" Pentax pef/dng isnt necessarily better by default.

Jason

10-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I use a combination of faststone ($10 for license) and ufraw/gimp. I didn't use the pentax software for my k200d very often, so I can't really compare.

Paul
10-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Check this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/miscellaneous-articles/36984-how-install-...ml?src=subsct2

The last page tells you how to use a SD card in a card reader to help installe the Pentax software, or you can also burn a CD with the name as: S-SW90

The CD can have the PPL install software burned to it, or it can be a blank disc named S-SW90. Either way works, I did this on Monday with PPL 4.11

I have to agree that I perfer RAW Therapee over PPL, but both work and well, they're free.

Stone: I use Lightroom3 at work and while it IS expensive, it has all of the tools you'll ever need to edit pictures. If I could personally afford it, I would, but i'm saving for a K-5 and have severe LBA

Last edited by chalion; 10-27-2010 at 03:25 PM.