Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dust

Hi, I think I have some dust problems.
When I look trough the viewfinder, I see a speck of dust. I also see it on my photos (not the viewfinder if I see it in photos), but the K-x dust alert does not see it (Sensor?). It stays when I change lens (It can't be the lens). What can it be?

I also did the dust removal option in the k-x, but it did not change anything...

Thanks for helping!

10-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please post a pic with exif if possible. I am having a hard time with this since view screen dust shows up on the view finder but not on photos. Sensor dust shows on photos but not the view finder. Lens dust generally never shows. Maybe a high aperture shot of the sky as a sample will help.
10-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Increased the blacks to see the dust speck.
It appears in the photos exactly at the same place as in the viewfinder.
Attached Images

10-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

You do have dust on your sensor but it is not the dust you see in your viewfinder. Point your camera the sky, set your aperture to f22 or so, and take a shot. It doesn't matter if the photo itself is blurred, the dust specs will not move (so use as long of a shutter speed as needed).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-se...ml#post1128045

10-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very strange, as theoretically and practically the only thing which is in front of the sensor and the view-finder is the lens...

On the image it looks like sensor dust. Perhaps a strange coincidence of dust on the sensor and on the mirror/viewfinder...???

Try mirror lockup and look at the sensor under bright light (bottom of sensor as image is inverted...I think) Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
10-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Very strange, as theoretically and practically the only thing which is in front of the sensor and the view-finder is the lens...

On the image it looks like sensor dust. Perhaps a strange coincidence of dust on the sensor and on the mirror/viewfinder...???

Try mirror lockup and look at the sensor under bright light (bottom of sensor as image is inverted...I think) Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
It's on the sensor. Neither the prism or the mirrors or the focus screen are part of the optical path for the actual photo. Dust on the lens is so close that short of a 50x macro at f96 (just pulling some ridiculous numbers), that you would not see it. Most lenses have dust within them. The only thing left in the photo optical path, is the sensor.

10-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's on the sensor. Neither the prism or the mirrors or the focus screen are part of the optical path for the actual photo. Dust on the lens is so close that short of a 50x macro at f96 (just pulling some ridiculous numbers), that you would not see it. Most lenses have dust within them. The only thing left in the photo optical path, is the sensor.
Yes I know that if it appears on the photo it is for sure the sensor. But why do I see it in the viewfinder? It is exactly at the same place.

10-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem solved

Problem solved. Thanks everyone.
I don't know what it was but I blew some air from my rocket blower directly on the mirror and I did it for the sensor too. It's gone now. I don't see a speck of dust on the photos, nor in the viewfinder.

Thanks everyone for the help
10-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
Yes I know that if it appears on the photo it is for sure the sensor. But why do I see it in the viewfinder? It is exactly at the same place.
Coincidence. Nothing more, nothing less.

10-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Coincidence. Nothing more, nothing less.
Probably!
10-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It's an amazing coincidence, but I have a spot on my sensor that I absolutely can't scrub off (and I've really tried scrubbing), and a spot (one of many) in the viewfinder in exactly the same position. So, it can happen.

Paul
11-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #12

bonjour à tous,
Je suis peut être hors sujet avec mais question mais elle se rapproche.
J'ai également des problèmes de poussières (comme tous) cependant je vois apparaître des taches grasses sur le capteur (des petites traînées) J'ai fait divers recherche concernant le produit a utiliser .... en fonction des différents fabriquant il existe de l'éclipse universel ou eclipse E1 et E2. Ma question est simple quel produit utiliser ? merci d'avance