Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #1

Pentax Firmware updates

Hi every one, I did a search for firmware updates for my istD camera and found several, my questions are, what are the practical benefits of updating my camera`s firmware, if there are any out there??
I am reluctant to update my camera in case things go horribly wrong and I end up destroying my camera??
Please advice
Arfur

10-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I updated the firmware on my *istDS just a little while ago and it allowed me to use bigger SD cards (and allowed me to use microSD cards at all which I couldn't use before). It also now had an AUTO ISO setting you can choose. It only took about 30 min. total (and some of that time was dedicated to resetting my custom settings; its been recommended to write down all of your settings before the update so you can breeze through it afterwards). Other than that I'm not sure what it did but being able to use the bigger SD cards was awesome.
10-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In sports mode you also get continues auto focus.

DAZ
10-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
If you are looking for what's new with the update, you could check the release information.
There has to be a pdf somewhere saying what they changed in the new release

If you're speaking about firmware version 2.02, here's the documentation:
istDS FW2.02 Update .doc

Oh well, nothing else to do right now, so I put it here also

Changes to V2.02 --- Addition of compatible SDHC Memory card
Changes to V2.01 --- Support for SDHC Memory cards.
Caution : Only istDS users are permitted to download the firmware update.

Changes to V2.00 The following function were added in version 2.00
1. Continuous AF" mode has been added to the AF settings in the Record Mode menu and AF.S /AF.C can be selected in the Menu
2. Auto Sensitivity has been added in the sensitivity mode
3. AE-L button on M has been added in the Custom menu.
4. The effect of Digital soft filters can be selected from weak, middle or strong
5. Dutch and Swedish languages has been added to the language
6. The sample picture will be displayed in the LCD monitor when select picture modes
7. For prevent the confusion, the item that was not able to be set by the menu, made a gray character.
 How to operate the additional function, Click here

Change to V1.02: • Correspond to the SD memory card greater than 1GB, also Version 1.02 include the additional function which was released at Version 1.01.
Change to V1.01: • At the long time exposure situation such as astronomical photography, green noise might be generated partially on the image when the noise reduction is turned on.
This phenomenon only occurs rarely under special shooting condition such as starry sky, and will never occur at the general situation that we are assuming.
The version 1.01 will minimize this phenomenon as much as possible for the customer who use *istDS for this purpose.

Last edited by ezechiel; 10-29-2010 at 01:05 AM.
10-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The update to my k100 allowed me to use large SD cards and is a huge advantage. Since your camera has about the same storage requirements, I'd say it would be worth the very minimal risk to get the advantage of using larger cards.

Paul