Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

When to use Shake Reduction?

Very very new to the K-7, and as yet still having some issues getting very sharp images. I'll concede I have not done much testing, and normally wouldn't be asking the question yet. But I'm reeally busy right now, and I'm hoping the responses will, if nothing else, help orient the real testing I hope to do this weekend.

I sent back a 70/2.4 to KEH. Images were soft, but it's possible the lens wasn't. The fact that it had some oil on the aperture blades and was rated EX+ made me decide to go ahead and do the return even though I wasn't convinced the optics were at issue.

Sooo...I got the DA 35/2.8 Macro today, and my first few portrait attempts were soft.

Just wondering if I should be turning SR off or on. I was shooting at f/2.8 shutter speeds around 1/60th, and SR was on. This was for a client, who I was shooting with my usual setup (Nikon D3 w/ Zeiss 100/2 MP at f/3.2), so I didn't take a lot of her time to test my new gear, and I can't post the samples. But I will be looking for someone else to shoot today and hope to have some examples.

But the main question here is: do you always want to use SR when shooting handheld? Or only below a certain shutter threshold? Normally, I almost always shoot from a tripod, but my RRS L-bracket for the K-7 has not arrived yet.

10-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have K-7 but with my K20D, I always leave SR on regardless of shutter speeds, and only turn SR off when using with tripod .
10-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure there are some varying opinions on this but my understanding is that SR should be off when shooting on a tripod - in general. That's because SR when on, on a tripod, will try to compensate for movement and this tends to blur images. It's not a lot but it's there. SR on most of the rest of the time is my rule.
10-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Its more fun to test it than talk or read about it. I have tried SR on/off for every conceivable shot I make and for my K20D have concluded the following:
- with a tripod it generally made no difference above 1/200 sec or so with big glass (400mm or more). between 1/20 and 1/125 sec I thought SR was better on than off with big glass. I never shoot slower than 1/20 with long FL but with long exposures like a couple seconds for a cityscape I found it better to be off with any lens.
- shooting handheld above 1/500 it seemed to make no visable difference on or off, even panning as with BIFs

Your own testing will tell what works best for your technique, camera, tripod and lenses.

10-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

And I wonder if the angle of the lens might be a factor.
You are perhaps right to suggest that less talk and more action might be good.
I just realized this morning that I probably habitually most often leave SR on when shooting the moon tripod mounted and don't see an obvious problem that limits sharpness. But is it because my camera and lens are at a great angle? Maybe there are two ways to find out but perhaps the best is to get out early innthe morning and actuate the shutter a few times and have fun.
10-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Are you using the timer? If so, it disables automatically. And in cases of a not so steady tripod, it can be a benefit.
10-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Are you using the timer? If so, it disables automatically. And in cases of a not so steady tripod, it can be a benefit.
This is correct.
Huh. See what happens when I read the manual more closely.
And apparently SR is automatically turned off for example when the camera is in a bulb or wireless remote mode as well. Guess they figure you mostly use a tripod when using a remote. Mostly.
10-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good advice.

Generally I leave on all the time the SR but:
- when the camera in on tripod, and
- when using a lens with optical stabilisation.

10-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may have been jumping the gun, because I've got some sharp images in the last 24 hours. But my L-bracket arrives Tuesday and I will do some tests. Thanks, guys!
11-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like Ken T above I leave it on all time time unless I'm using a tripod.
Keeps things simple.

Tom G