Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First shot with the new K-7

I have been a Nikon shooter for the entirety of my dSLR life, and am a professional portrait shooter. I just bought the K-7 as a back-up and recreational fun camera. Haven't had too much time to explore the controls yet, but I brought it to a family/child session today, and once I knew I had good shots in the bag from my regular gear, I broke out the K-7 for a few. Light was harsh and kid was a bit bored by that point, and uncooperative, but I managed to grab a decent shot or two. This one was taken with the DA 35/2.8 Macro:

I think I am going to love the IQ of this camera, the wonderful ease of portability, and certainly the access to a new range of awesome lenses (the 77/1.8 is on the way next week). I'm glad I got it.

Ergonomically, it really falls on its face compared to my D3, but that's what I would expect for a body this size, and in this price range. The small size actually feels good in my hand, but it means controls are cramped, and it's hard to hit the right button with my thumb when I don't want to remove my eye from the VF. Am I touching the green button? The AF? The Live View? Hehe. I assume I will develop a bit of a feel for it over time. I hope. My biggest complaint is moving the focus point around while I am looking though the VF. I don't like having to hit the center button first...I keep hitting a different button when doing this. Somehow I managed to randomly reverse my front and rear control dials. I haven't gotten through the manual yet, but if there's an easier way to change the focus point, somebody let me know!!

10-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Center focus, recompose, works for me. Lot faster than messing around with different points.
Then again, I just shoot for fun.
10-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Center focus, recompose, works for me. Lot faster than messing around with different points.
Then again, I just shoot for fun.
That's the same thing I do, but like you, I do it for fun.

It's a nice shot, eyes are nice and sharp, but color of the face seems off / slightly over exposed.
10-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Like he said, harsh light. Still, little surprised by the exposure. K7 does a great job in preserving high-lights, might have to blame this on the lens?

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-29-2010 at 05:45 PM.
10-29-2010, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Ergonomically, it really falls on its face compared to my D3, but that's what I would expect for a body this size, and in this price range. The small size actually feels good in my hand, but it means controls are cramped, and it's hard to hit the right button with my thumb when I don't want to remove my eye from the VF. Am I touching the green button? The AF? The Live View? Hehe. I assume I will develop a bit of a feel for it over time. I hope.
Ergonomics is something that will vary from person to person, e.g. people have different sized hands, prefer different feelings, etc, but I personally like the ergonomics of the K-7 very much; you can change the three main factors of ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed, all with just subtle movements of your right hand. I find that there is effectively no need for me to move the VF away from my face to change any of those, or to move my left hand from supporting under the lens when I'm shooting. I also found the position of the LV button and issue initially, but once I started to develop a feel of the camera, as I'm sure you will, everything falls into place quite well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
My biggest complaint is moving the focus point around while I am looking though the VF. I don't like having to hit the center button first...I keep hitting a different button when doing this... I haven't gotten through the manual yet, but if there's an easier way to change the focus point, somebody let me know!!
Update your camera to the latest firmware, and then you will be able to change the focus points with the 4-way buttons. Hope that helps.
10-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Like Pop4 indicated, you need to update the firmware and then change on the MENU on how to move AF point; this way, you don't need to hit OK first and move the AF points.
10-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like he said, harsh light. Still, little surprised by the exposure. K7 does a great job in preserving high-lights, might have to blame this on the lens?
I agree the WB is funky due to tough light, but the camera and lens didn't have any exposure problems, I was happy to see. The skin tones are actually a bit under exposed. The only blown highlights are the red channel in the shirt. I think I need to bump the face a bit and balance away from magenta, but I just didn't feel up to the masking, etc. tonight. Long day.
10-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Ergonomics is something that will vary from person to person, e.g. people have different sized hands, prefer different feelings, etc, but I personally like the ergonomics of the K-7 very much; you can change the three main factors of ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed, all with just subtle movements of your right hand. I find that there is effectively no need for me to move the VF away from my face to change any of those, or to move my left hand from supporting under the lens when I'm shooting. I also found the position of the LV button and issue initially, but once I started to develop a feel of the camera, as I'm sure you will, everything falls into place quite well.

Update your camera to the latest firmware, and then you will be able to change the focus points with the 4-way buttons. Hope that helps.
Awesome. Thanks!

10-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Yes, red on the right shoulder is little hot. I don`t know about bumping the face. Could be just my monitor but I would do the opposite.
Nice image all in all.
10-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi Todd,

Hope the new K7 works out for you.

I'd be curious, when you have more experience with the camera, what you think of the output of your Pentax vs your Nikon gear. This will all be subjective of course but I've always preferred the look of Pentax to Nikon or Canon. The colours just appear more vibrant to me.

Tom G
10-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Tom, the colors are definitely more vibrant. Reminiscent of my old S2. Not saying I necessarily like that better than Nikon yet. Stuff from my D3 using the Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar has sort of redefined vibrant for me lately.

But I really like the IQ from the K-7, and I'm sure I'll have more to say about it after I've had it for a while. Here's a few shots I took this morning with the DA 35/2.8. At ISO1000, because I was shooting in the dark last night. Haven't made THAT mistake for a long time!

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Hi Todd,

Hope the new K7 works out for you.

I'd be curious, when you have more experience with the camera, what you think of the output of your Pentax vs your Nikon gear. This will all be subjective of course but I've always preferred the look of Pentax to Nikon or Canon. The colours just appear more vibrant to me.

Tom G
10-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, red on the right shoulder is little hot. I don`t know about bumping the face. Could be just my monitor but I would do the opposite.
Nice image all in all.
Might be your monitor, might be personal preference, who knows? Personally, I like to push skin tones to around 240 for print, and maybe even clip them a tiny bit for web use. In this case, the brightest spot I can find on his face is 223, 213, 211.

I really think it's just a white balance issue, and it was essentially mixed lighting, since the sun was shining brightly from behind him, and I was towering over him, no doubt reflecting some of the color from my shirt onto his face.
10-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey Todd, glad to see you're enjoying your new camera. It should be a nice compliment to the D3. I feel like the good points of the pro Nikon stuff blend very well with Pentax's strengths.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you are able to do with the FA77 and your portraits.
10-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

And I just looked up and noticed you're also from Iowa! Welcome! haha
10-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
And I just looked up and noticed you're also from Iowa! Welcome! haha
Heya, thanks! Iowa City, here.