Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

20d

anyone have 20D with any problems?? I read a article recently on how Broadway cameras was selling black market cameras. Unfortunatally I bought my before I read the article. . How can you tell if you have a black market camera??

10-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your titles were more descriptive you might get a lot more eyes on your questions.

What is a black market camera?
10-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sunnybrooke Quote
anyone have 20D with any problems?? I read a article recently on how Broadway cameras was selling black market cameras. Unfortunatally I bought my before I read the article. . How can you tell if you have a black market camera??
Do you mean Gray Market? Black Market implies something illegal. Such as selling food outside of government permission in a time of rationing (just as an example). If anything, I'd bet you bought a Refurbished camera. Usually nothing wrong with them and unless you're led to believe you bought a NEW camera carrying a Full Manufacturer warranty, you should be fine. The K20d is now 2 generations old and I would actually be surprised if they were still available New, Never used, Never owned, etc.

11-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If your k20d is anything like mine, it will put up with a lot, regardless of who it's daddy was . I would not worry about it.

11-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is still good after well over 10k shots

Only problem I've ever had was when I dropped it with a flash attached and broke off the flash mount. Obviously not a manufacturing fault.

NaCl(well built they are)H2O
11-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #6

I reckon you will have lots of fun with your 20d. Although it is not now in production, it is still an excellent machine and known for its reliability. I bought a refurbished one last December and 27,000 + shots later it is working very well indeed.

Have fun and post lots of pics.
11-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
I reckon you will have lots of fun with your 20d. Although it is not now in production, it is still an excellent machine and known for its reliability. I bought a refurbished one last December and 27,000 + shots later it is working very well indeed.

Have fun and post lots of pics.
Hello Richard Spencer, Almost fell out of my chair when I saw your name. My son shares your name, his first and middle. I named him after one of my heroes, Winston Spencer Churchill. I have the K-x, 18-55 and 55-300 DA L package. Added two M50's, a f2.0 and 1.7. Have fun with your shooting.

11-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunnybrooke Quote
My niece has a 20D. It's a Canon. I have a K20D, it's a Pentax.

I doubt if it's Black Market, because black markets are illegal. It's probably "Grey Market". Grey market usually means that the product didn't come from the country's official distributor. Grey market products may have no warranty, or a warranty with unusual conditions. The authorized distributor may refuse to service the gear or honour a grey market warranty. What kind of warranty did you get?
11-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K20 has been around for more than 2.5 years. Lots of folks use and shoot the K20. There has not been any reported systemic problems with the K20 during this time. So far it appears to be a very reliable, consistent and stable performing model.

I acquired mine a bit over 18 months ago just as the K7 was announced and the K20 pretty much hit its price low (for a new unit). I have been extremely happy with mine. That said, its back at CRIS for a second warranty repair. I shoot after work - late afternoon, dusk and evening - basically, its dark. I also shoot bracketed, usually 5 frames, so I have at least 2 frames that are usually very long exposures (even on a tripod, mirror up etc.), such that DFS (Dark Frame Subtraction) kicks in. My problem is on the over exposed - they are very noisy. They use to be VERY clean. I made a post about this when I received the camera back. No one else has posted about any problem, let alone anything similar to mine.

Also, there are lots of folks shooting dusk and evening images that are bracketed, so there is more than a sufficient population that this would have affected if there were a fundamental problem. And I only have about 8,000 shots on the body.

Pentax warranty replaced the main circuit board and the sensor, updated the firmware, aligned etc. It appeared fixed until I went night shooting (for the first time after the repair) and the noise is back. Now - I am the ONLY one that I know of that has this problem, so I believe that its pretty much isolated to me (don't I feel special).

If there were similar problems with the K20 you would have had 20 posts about it by now. So, I consider myself the lucky winner of the random draw for a somewhat isolated/unique problem.

This board I think was the first with the mirror slap issue on the Kx and the green line issue on the early k7. Then the early SDM problems with the 16-50 lenses. So, if there was an issue to be found, it would have been posted here - already.

So, the moral of the story is to - Do NOT worry about it. You have a great camera with an excellent model history. Go shoot pictures and enjoy yourself!!

PS - So am I looking to upgrade. No - I am looking forward to getting my K20 back so that I can go shoot the images again, this time after looking at my prior set and seeing some things that I did wrong.

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-01-2010 at 07:23 PM.