Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Need advice on move to digital.

Hey all,
I'm looking to pick up a digital slr, and have narrowed it down to two options.

Pentax k-x- black with 18-55 kit. new in box for $545
or
Pentax k20d body only, new in box $399.

I'm having trouble finding a good comparison of the two, while I like the video and hdr options on the k-x, i also like the top lcd on the K20d.

What are people's thoughts on the two at those prices?

10-31-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Video aside, the only other thing the K-x will provide is somewhat better usage in low light conditions. With that said, what will you be using your camera for? Portraits, sports, landscapes, etc?

The $545 will easily net you the K20d and the 18-55mm WR lens - essentially it is the same lens as what the K-x comes with, but the WR version is weather sealed, which will match the weather sealing of the K20d, giving you a brand new weather sealed (dust, rain, snow) kit. If that is something that might appeal to you, that is a big plus for the K20d.

Also, the k20d has much better ergonomics - much more of the camera's features are accessible via external button controls, which is another intangible plus to the K20d over the K-x. On the other hand, if you are new to dslrs (or photography in general) you might find the features over your head. If you are willing and want to learn though, the K20d is definitely the better choice.
10-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many reviews by forum members on both cameras in the Camera database. Also, the home page for pentaxforums.com has a comparison engine for you to match up any two Pentax cameras. Use the information already stored in the forum as it is volumes more than anybody can type for you as a response.
10-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Forget about the HDR options on any camera. That's my advice. After playing with Photomatrix for a little while, the in camera processing doesn't come close. It's something you almost always have to use a tripod for because it (the Kx) doesn't line up the images, or at least I don't think so). Beyond that, the only thing the Kx would have over the K20d is the video and high ISO capability.

The K20d on the other hand is one hell of a camera. Built like a tank and when coupled with a WR lens, is almost indestructible. If you can get a New one for $400, I'd say grab it.. But that's just me.

Decide exactly what you want in a camera and then pick the one that best suits you. Asking what camera is best is like asking which candy tastes better. We will all have different answers.

11-01-2010, 04:59 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
my 2cents, get the cheapest possible body you can- and spend the extra saved money on a lens or two. A 50mm prime for example. Camera bodies will come and go, lenses are the constant in my experience.
11-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecnal Quote
my 2cents, get the cheapest possible body you can- and spend the extra saved money on a lens or two. A 50mm prime for example. Camera bodies will come and go, lenses are the constant in my experience.
Very much true... BUT... the two bodies under consideration have quite different characters, which will impact future lens choices. The Kx is smaller, better at high ISO, and does video. The K20D is WR, better at low ISO, has better ergonomics (controls) and interface (wired remote, tethering, etc). A Kx will let you use that 50mm prime in lower light and for quicker action. A K20D will let you use it in more circumstances, and faster (less messing with controls).

I see the K20D as a better general-purpose box upon which to hang my 100+ lenses (of which 90+ are manual). A Kx with a pancake lens would slip easily into my pocket. The K20D with any lens lets me capture almost anything in sight, at whatever pace I want. Actually, the Kx would make a nice backup body...
11-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

take the K20!!!

11-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cellar-Door Quote
Hey all,
I'm looking to pick up a digital slr, and have narrowed it down to two options.

Pentax k-x- black with 18-55 kit. new in box for $545
or
Pentax k20d body only, new in box $399.

I'm having trouble finding a good comparison of the two, while I like the video and hdr options on the k-x, i also like the top lcd on the K20d.

What are people's thoughts on the two at those prices?
Is it really K20D new in box for $399 out there ? If it is, then that's one hell of a deal .
11-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Very much true... BUT... the two bodies under consideration have quite different characters, which will impact future lens choices. The Kx is smaller, better at high ISO, and does video. The K20D is WR, better at low ISO, has better ergonomics (controls) and interface (wired remote, tethering, etc). A Kx will let you use that 50mm prime in lower light and for quicker action. A K20D will let you use it in more circumstances, and faster (less messing with controls).

I see the K20D as a better general-purpose box upon which to hang my 100+ lenses (of which 90+ are manual). A Kx with a pancake lens would slip easily into my pocket. The K20D with any lens lets me capture almost anything in sight, at whatever pace I want. Actually, the Kx would make a nice backup body...
You've convinced me. I think we all need one of each!
11-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K20D is purely and simply a good camera. No video capabilities but good performance to ISO 1600 and all the features you want in a weather-sealed body. To be convinced, I'd suggest you test drive both models in your hands and feel the difference. The K20D is excellent value for money.
11-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You've convinced me. I think we all need one of each!
I aggree!

Sometimes think of selling K-x and getting a k20D instead!
11-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Adding another two cents for the K20d, especially if you can get that deal. It just happens to be my strategy, but I think they're a great place to hang out for a few years, still, and not be crying out for upgrades all the time. (At least if what you're wanting is a traditional still camera with the controls and durability and all)

I think the K5 will prove to be another such model when that comes down in price: seems to be in the same pattern of taking a really nice platform and refining/upgrading it.
11-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

K20D = tethering, intervalometer, grip.

I never used tethering but some people want it. I used the intervalometer once or twice to awkwardly get a sequence of self-timered shots...and have the grip mounted all the time (holds the IR remote, extra SD card, and the second battery of course)...
11-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I say get the K20D.
That's already rock bottom price for it and even if you plan to sell it in the future, it won't go down as much and you won't lose money on it unlike if you buy the K-x at it's price now and re-sell it later, you would most likely lose more money since when you have to re-sell the K-x at a much lower price.
If you don't like the K20D, it would be an easy re-sell at that price and just buy and try whatever you would want again.
11-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to echo what the other said. Get the K20 and a weather sealed kit lens (or even a more expensive weather sealed lens if that is in the budget). The two things that the kx has over the K20 are video and high iso ability. To me, these are trumped by the build of the K20. If you really want video on a DSLR, you may want to look at one of the higher end cameras anyway.