Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

K7 Black and White Setting?

Hello All,

I was at an event yesterday, with my K7 & DA lenses. After about 6 shots, I reviewed my photos, and found that they were all black and white.

Now I know that you can apply a digital filter, and once you do so you snap a photo and it is processed as a black and white or monochrome shot- but that is applied afterwards, or even if leave the setting on, it takes at least 1/2 second to process.

But I was shooting black and white consistently, and able to shoot quickly, nothing was processing- the shots came out rather good! I went under my menu, and checked all- digital filters were off- I switched from manual mode to auto program, and still the same thing, all black and white. I finally went under the menu and hit reset under one of the tool options, and my shots returned to color.

I carry by camera via a lanyard and it dangles upside down by my waist, so I imagine, I bumped enough dials and buttons to do some kind of setting change.

Could you gentlemen please shed some light here? I'd like to know how to recreate this- this could be helpful in the future.

11-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I understand you correctly, you want to get BACK to that B&W setting? Perhaps a browse through the EXIF in PhotoMe will reveal the settings. Either that or the digital camera utility that came with the camera.

11-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Black & white ("monochrome") is one of the "Custom Image" settings, accessed by the "right arrow" of the 4-way pad. See pages 82 and 205-206 of the K-7 manual.

I often set my K-7 to black-and-white in RAW+JPG mode. This gives me the possibility of "developing" the shot in color from the RAW file later, but otherwise shoot in black & white.
11-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Black & white ("monochrome") is one of the "Custom Image" settings, accessed by the "right arrow" of the 4-way pad. See pages 82 and 205-206 of the K-7 manual.

I often set my K-7 to black-and-white in RAW+JPG mode. This gives me the possibility of "developing" the shot in color from the RAW file later, but otherwise shoot in black & white.
Thanks, sir. I checked those settings- and you were spot on. I can't believe how ignorant I can be about this camera still- goes to show, I've a long way to learn.

Thanks for the help, gents.

11-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My pleasure. As an aside, here are the settings I am normally using under the "Monochrome" option:

Filter Effect: None
Toning: 0 (centered)
High/low key adj: 0
Contrast: +1
Contrast highlight adjustment: +2
Contrast shadow adjustment: -2
Fine Sharpness 2: +1