Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

K20D Viewfinder Question

I recently noticed a small tear on the rubber part of my K20's viewfinder. While shooting an event yesterday, the rubber viewfinder (eyecup?) tore almost completely off the camera.

My question...

I'd like to replace the part but I'm not exactly sure what I need. Do I need a viewfinder, eyecup or something else? I don't think I NEED a magnifying viewfinder (though I do use manual lenses frequently).

What should I be looking for???

Thanks!
Treetop

11-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adorama has them for about twenty-five bucks. (Don't thank me; thank Google).
11-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since its only a hole in a piece of metal with rubber around it (no glass), you dont NEED it other than for comfort and keep out some glare. The Pentax magnifying replacement (not the 2x, its 1.2 or something like that) is only slightly helpful with my MF lenses but the split focus screen PLUS the magnification is so good even I can get sharp MF shots from 50mm/1.4 to 400mm/2.8. Hoever, the magnifying replacement makes it difficult to see the entire frame and information along the bottom. You have to move your eye position slightly to see one or the other.

Hope that helps your decision.
11-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep, it's just an eyecup/plain eyepiece. Though it's not the worst time to try one of the magnifying eyepieces if you've ever thought about that. They don't cost much more than the plain eyepiece (Last I heard, anyway) and you might really like it.

A lot of us like the KPS model, and that comes with a lovely eyecup, and I think it really does help a lot with MF in particular.

Vignetting with those seems to vary somewhat with the shooter, I don't think it's worse in any event than the Pentax one, despite the slightly better magnification.

11-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe a good time to try the O-ME53.
11-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Since its only a hole in a piece of metal with rubber around it (no glass), you dont NEED it other than for comfort and keep out some glare.
Actually, without it, you will end up moving the diopter slider around and messing up your focus. I lost mine halfway through a recent vacation, and was always having to adjust it.

Note: I lost the entire frame, not just the rubber. You might be able to get by without just the rubber.
11-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Actually, without it, you will end up moving the diopter slider around and messing up your focus. I lost mine halfway through a recent vacation, and was always having to adjust it.

Note: I lost the entire frame, not just the rubber. You might be able to get by without just the rubber.
Ha! I had forgotten about the diopter adjustment. I snapped mine off by accident 18 months ago but fortunately it was already in the right place. I did not realize you need to be careful when sliding the eye piece off.