Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

hi all! just a bit of info if ya please!

Hi all my name is tony and am from liverpool uk,i was thinking recently of getting a new camera as my old konica 2mp is looking rather shabby! i do like taking photos! and i was interested in getting a all dancing and all singing 12mp models! but today my daughter give me her old but good condition Pentax Optio S5z! i must say its small compared to my old konica but my daughter raves about it! i must say i was impressed with the pics i took with it the colour was briiiant! i know its only 5 mp but its a way step up to what i had! so i joined this forum to see if any of you pentax users have heard of this cam? do you use one? any one got any pics taken with this cam i can see?.. my daughter says the cam is only good as the user! thanks in advance tony!

11-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a job for the Compact Cameras forum, which runs a bit slow, sometimes, but someone might know of them. Seems like a rather older model. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one, myself.

Welcome, though.
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Tony!

Welcome to the forum! We hope you have a great experience here...

As far as the Optio S5z goes, I have never heard of that particular model, but I definitely have heard of the Optio series. I'm glad to hear that you like the pictures from it! Pentax really shines when it comes to true-to-life color rendering!

Keep photographing, and maybe share a few pictures with us if you don't mind!

Again, welcome to Pentax Forums!
11-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Tony

QuoteOriginally posted by macker71165 Quote
my daughter says the cam is only good as the user! thanks in advance tony!
Your daughter is absolubtly right... You should buy her a shiny new Pentax DSLR

Is she letting you keep the camera or is it just on loan? Pentax's range in the UK is pretty big so if you're looking for a new one I'd find a model within your price range and then search for reviews of it online before you buy...

I keep reading that high mega-pixels are not always a good thing in a compact cameras... Something to do with sensor sizes... Don't know how this works or even if its true... Someone here will be a science boffin and confirm or dispute this I'm sure...

11-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for all your reply,s guys! sorry i really should ave posted in the compact section(doh) but i am a forum virgin! my daughter gave me the camera as she just bought a new one(pentax of course) but i cant remember the model but i will ask! i am off work today so am gonna go into town and take some pics i will post them just so you guys can judge what i think is a good pic quality! but am easily pleased :@)... thanks again for your swift reply,s and welcoming gestures tony
11-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

thanks for all your reply,s guys! sorry i really should ave posted in the compact section(doh) but i am a forum virgin!
I wouldn't worry mate... Seemed like a beginners question to me... It's not often I'm actually helpful... so...
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my daughter says the cam is only good as the user! thanks in advance tony!
Tony, your daughter is dead right, 5mp is not a problem unless you want to print posters!! use it and see how you get on, as a pocket camera all the optios are fine as are most compacts of any brand to be fair.
it is a 2005 model full review link below.
Optio S5z Features:

Ultra compact 3.3 x 2.2 x 0.9 inches, weighs just 3.7 ounces
Stylish and durable aluminum alloy body
3x Pentax zoom lens (36-107mm in 35mm equivalent)
5.0-megapixel CCD imager for images up to 2560 x 1920
2.5" color TFT LCD monitor with 100% coverage
Records 640x480 MPEG-4 video with audio at 30fps, length limited to media capacity
30 second voice memos can be attached to images
Shooting modes selected from a virtual mode dial
Super macro mode coverage down to 2.4 inches
Three metering choices: multi-segment, center weighted and spot
28-zone, 62-city, world time with alarm clock.
Time-lapse movie mode
Audio-Video output for TV display
Rechargeable lithium-ion battery included
~10 MB of internal memory plus SD card slot
PictBridge, Epson PRINT Image Matching II and Exif Print compatible
USB Mass Storage compliant

Pentax Optio-S5z Review: Overview
11-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thnx alot guys adwb that was really helpfull review , i needed to know what did what and the controls section is helping me!.. didnt see nothing wrong with the sample pics! though the reviewer said the colours were this and that?...am amazed how the expert people and even amatures pic up on defects like these i dont notice anything like this! just i really just cant pic up on things like this! i just look at the pic either i like what i see or not! thanks again guys