Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
To be honest guys, I really am not a big fan of extensive PP which is why I want to do what I can in camera, so that when I "edit" my photos afterwards it is simply a matter of maybe adjusting WB, contrast or cropping. Nothing more

I dont want to become one of these ppl that puts every image through 15 post processes, I see it as kind of cheating in my book, where does it all end? Sure if im editing photos for someones wedding or an ad campaign that might be a different story but this is a hobby so I want to keep it "pure" if that makes any sense. (and yes I know that if the camera is doing it in body it is still processing..)
Well, I only do those three main things, too. Plus cloning out the occasional garbage can or woman and stroller. And of course leveling the horizon as both bodies have the Pentax tilt.

"Pure" is nice, but there is not one setting for every shot, and being able to accurately judge them on a 2.7" screen is optimistic.

Basically, you will allow a little in-camera micro-processor with limited choices determine the outcome of your image, because, after spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars and a good portion of time getting there, setting up, and making "camera adjustments", you don't want to take another 15 seconds later?

I'm not saying you have to shoot RAW, but the arguments for jpg is weak at this stage of technology.

Don't take it personally because it is not mean that way :-)

And some people like PP as...a hobby.

11-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, I only do those three main things, too. Plus cloning out the occasional garbage can or woman and stroller. And of course leveling the horizon as both bodies have the Pentax tilt.

"Pure" is nice, but there is not one setting for every shot, and being able to accurately judge them on a 2.7" screen is optimistic.

Basically, you will allow a little in-camera micro-processor with limited choices determine the outcome of your image, because, after spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars and a good portion of time getting there, setting up, and making "camera adjustments", you don't want to take another 15 seconds later?

I'm not saying you have to shoot RAW, but the arguments for jpg is weak at this stage of technology.

Don't take it personally because it is not mean that way :-)

And some people like PP as...a hobby.

Thanks for the reasonable response.

From what Ive seen and heard shooting raw with a k-x k-r whatever doesnt give as much benefit as on other models. Not to mention the jpegs look much sharper, better in general from what ive seen in recent tests. Understanding that they are being processed in camera

I know there is not one setting for every shot but figured some basic in camera adjustments might help things a bit. seeing as I used to use picasa for edits and kept it pretty basic on that side. I can say I have taken a lot of photos prob 100k and all without PP other than the most basic of adjustments in picasa, they turned out just fine. For me taking the shots is the hobby not spending the time on the pc after. If a state of the art brand new mid entry level dslr, well-handled, cant produce a nice image without PP - there is a problem, either with the camera or more likely the photographer

Last edited by Deimos; 11-03-2010 at 04:07 PM.
11-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@JeffJS, Nowherematt, jolepp, specialk

Thanks guys. Thats exactly what I was looking for, I missed the last few posts when I looked earlier.

Please accept my apologies for being perhaps a bit touchy/cranky (or hungry im fed now) or whatever and maybe taking good-humoured help out of context.

deimos

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
A simple answer: in the "Custom Image" menu set +1 for sharpness and +1 for contrast (leave the rest at zero), use auto for High ISO NR, and you should be fine.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I hope my humor has not set a poor tone with you and we are only trying to understand and give you help. This is a fantastic forum filled with a number of people who really like urging others to become better at photography.
But Yeah uh some of us kind have fun messing around and making time for photography.

You could set Sharpness to +1 and Contrast to +1 and never look at another menu or Photoshop program.
Sometimes image quality varies from lens to lens and I may make in camera adjustments when I see fit. Sometimes I play with sharpness, saturation and contrast if the lens is not performing in a manner I like. I am sure that on my K10 I have left it on the plus side of Sharpness just from laziness but I often will adjust Contrast and a little Saturation when the situation calls.
With my K-7, I don't bother with any of those three much. They are often set right at 0 but I will vary the Custom Image invariably.

Have a better week.
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Here is my suggestion. No, I don't own a K-r (or a K-x) but I would say this regardless of the camera.

How sharp an image will appear is affected by a number of things. Aside from the obvious like the lens and the camera's ability to resolve and focus the light, also the lighting can affect sharpness of a photo. Exposure can affect it. For instance, if you are taking a photo of something with white print against a black background, and you overexpose the photo, the print will appear blurry around the edges. White balance can also affect it.

So, here is my suggestion. Leave it at 0 or +1 if you must, shoot RAW+ and learn to process your images to get the optimum out of them. The camera does a pretty fair job I'm sure (My cameras do) but you can get a much more refined photo if you learn to tweak things in post processing.

Last edited by Deimos; 11-03-2010 at 04:24 PM.
11-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You are welcome, no apology necessary AFIK :-)

11-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If a state of the art brand new mid entry level dslr, well-handled, cant produce a nice image without PP - there is a problem, either with the camera or more likely the photographer

Well, that is the issue in a nutshell. Either you think jpgs are fine as-is, or you think there is room for improvement later.

Either way, it's your hobby, so do what works for you.

Honestly, I did the sharpness test, saturation test, etc when I got the K100D, and it only takes about 10 minutes. Just find a decent subject like a park fountain or statue with trees and colorful flowers.
11-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, that is the issue in a nutshell. Either you think jpgs are fine as-is, or you think there is room for improvement later.

Either way, it's your hobby, so do what works for you.

Honestly, I did the sharpness test, saturation test, etc when I got the K100D, and it only takes about 10 minutes. Just find a decent subject like a park fountain or statue with trees and colorful flowers.
Im more likely a jpg shooter but would like to get into more RAW work eventually. Part of my bias is that for two years I was travelling with just a d60 and a netbook so didnt have any computing power for RAW editing.

I was playing with the settings a bit last night. Part of the issue is my apartment is all Tungsten and I get BF so not ideal for testing, but I managed to find a compact fluorescent to play around a bit.

Seems the sharpening +1 might be good, also did contrast +1. Also seems it made the image a bit more washed out, but I wasnt using a tripod so it wasnt exactly controlled.

I'll keep messin around
11-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Hi All,

Just got my k-r the other day.

Ive gone through the menus and adjusted the settings how I think I like them.

I have not however adjusted anything like colours or sharpness.

I know some ppl routinely add a bit of sharpness to the body output but not sure if I should or not. Havent had enough time to play with it to tell.

The photographyblog review suggested perhaps adding a bit of sharpness either in camera preshot or PP.

Any recommendations on some default settings that might be a good starting point? And where would I adjust someting like say sharpness +1 anyways?

Thanks for the help

d
ok can I suggest you do the following, switch the K-r on/ press the info button/
make sure the custom image box [top left] is highlighted/ press ok/ use the left/righ buttons to view each preset custom image/ you will see tha Pentax have installed presets for you and the little adjuster bars alter including the sharpness one on some as you scroll through the preset types. I would suggest you take one image of a subject with each custom image type and look at them find the one you like best and use it. no messing about with settings any further if you are happy.

11-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
ok can I suggest you do the following, switch the K-r on/ press the info button/
make sure the custom image box [top left] is highlighted/ press ok/ use the left/righ buttons to view each preset custom image/ you will see tha Pentax have installed presets for you and the little adjuster bars alter including the sharpness one on some as you scroll through the preset types. I would suggest you take one image of a subject with each custom image type and look at them find the one you like best and use it. no messing about with settings any further if you are happy.
Thanks!
11-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just had an idea that has very little weight in this subject but here is my inspiration.
I'm gonna borrow a DA 50-135 and shoot at 120mm with Sharpness at zero and then take my SMC A 70-210 at 120mm with Sharpness at +3 and peep at those pixels for any differences. Any odds makers want a piece of the action?

Well maybe. I'm all talk and no action sometimes.
11-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I just had an idea that has very little weight in this subject but here is my inspiration.
I'm gonna borrow a DA 50-135 and shoot at 120mm with Sharpness at zero and then take my SMC A 70-210 at 120mm with Sharpness at +3 and peep at those pixels for any differences. Any odds makers want a piece of the action?

Well maybe. I'm all talk and no action sometimes.
Lets see it! Whats the deal here are the lenses nowhere comparable or something? Why not just do the comparo with one of them?
11-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Matt: it would seem like a good idea to shoot both lenses at both settings while (if) you are at it (?).

I'd suspect that sharpening results might not look that good at the pixel level, although they probably result in nicer looking images at moderate magnifications (most of the time).