Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Settings suggestions for new K-r?

Hi All,

Just got my k-r the other day.

Ive gone through the menus and adjusted the settings how I think I like them.

I have not however adjusted anything like colours or sharpness.

I know some ppl routinely add a bit of sharpness to the body output but not sure if I should or not. Havent had enough time to play with it to tell.

The photographyblog review suggested perhaps adding a bit of sharpness either in camera preshot or PP.

Any recommendations on some default settings that might be a good starting point? And where would I adjust someting like say sharpness +1 anyways?

Thanks for the help

d

Last edited by Deimos; 11-03-2010 at 08:08 AM.
11-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see much difference between 0 and +3 as far as sharpness goes but then I am not interested in looking closely. There is an obvious difference -3 and +3 but 0 or +1?
I do believe that good contrast also helps improve the appearance of sharpness.
I know it is easy to gather the opnions of others to start your path to exploring and those are some if mine.
11-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Here is my suggestion. No, I don't own a K-r (or a K-x) but I would say this regardless of the camera.

How sharp an image will appear is affected by a number of things. Aside from the obvious like the lens and the camera's ability to resolve and focus the light, also the lighting can affect sharpness of a photo. Exposure can affect it. For instance, if you are taking a photo of something with white print against a black background, and you overexpose the photo, the print will appear blurry around the edges. White balance can also affect it.

So, here is my suggestion. Leave it at 0 or +1 if you must, shoot RAW+ and learn to process your images to get the optimum out of them. The camera does a pretty fair job I'm sure (My cameras do) but you can get a much more refined photo if you learn to tweak things in post processing.

11-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Many people save the "sharpening" as one of the last steps in post-processing.

However, if you shoot RAW, the camera tweak-settings do not affect the output, and you can make individual PP choices per image, or batch process them all or in groups. It is not as time consuming as you might think.

Plus, your ownership of the PEF file (which you would never post or use elsewhere) will go a long way toward proof of copyright ownership.

11-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Many people save the "sharpening" as one of the last steps in post-processing.
+1 with SpecialK
I would leave the sharpening for PP.
11-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
To be honest guys, I really am not a big fan of extensive PP which is why I want to do what I can in camera, so that when I "edit" my photos afterwards it is simply a matter of maybe adjusting WB, contrast or cropping. Nothing more

I dont want to become one of these ppl that puts every image through 15 post processes, I see it as kind of cheating in my book, where does it all end? Sure if im editing photos for someones wedding or an ad campaign that might be a different story but this is a hobby so I want to keep it "pure" if that makes any sense. (and yes I know that if the camera is doing it in body it is still processing..)
11-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Then just put a lens on the camera and start taking pictures. Change the settings and see what you like best. Simple. It ain't rocket science (neither is Post Processing).

11-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with many parts of both the last two posts. Have fun shooting what you like the way you like. You have to please yourself. Just go put one of those round things on a square thing and try for a good capture. Something that makes you smile and maybe bring others into the entertainment.
11-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
gee, yes of course I will put lens on body press the shutter take photos and see what happens ....is that how photos are taken? <rolleyes>

I was kind of hoping for someone with experience with Pentax's preferably a k-r or k-x to say:

I use shapening +1 and whatever the hell -2 and that works great for me..

I had a d60 for two years and didnt touch any such settings. Not much time outside of work to mess around so i was hoping to get some advice so I could get it 'right' from the start.....I guess I'll figure it out myself
Fine but, the problem with that is that the settings that work for someone else, may not work for you. We don't know what your preferences are when it comes to photos. There aren't but 6 or 7 steps on the sharpness settings in these cameras so it seems to me that a little experimentation isn't out of order.

11-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I understand, but I think sharpness is a pretty universal idea.

Does anyone use any IN CAMERA settings such as sharpening, with a k-x or k-r or something that might compare so that I can have the optimal settings in camera WITHOUT having to mess around testing them all, I work a lot and have precious little time to take shots. I dont want to spend that time testing, Id like to get straight to shooting with optimal output as far as the camera settings can dictate that.
11-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Yes, I will put the round thing on the square thing and press the shiny button and see what happens.... <rolleyes>

That doesnt help me

Does anyone use any IN CAMERA settings such as sharpening, with a k-x or k-r or something that might compare so that I can have the optimal settings WITHOUT having to mess around testing them all for weeks on end, I work a lot and have precious little time to take shots. I dont want to spend that time testing.

NowhereMatt, you just leave your settings at 0 then?
If you hope to produce the best images possible with a DSLR, you had better learn about post processing in your computer.

There's no way around it.

However, that being said, if you insist on shooting just JPEGs (which is fine) and only use the in-camera settings (which is not fine), GOOD LUCK!!!

In this regard, digital photography is like film. You capture the image on a negative, and then improve it by making prints.

And by the way:

Do you intend to crop any of your photos for final presentation, or do you expect to shoot all of your images perfectly cropped? Good luck AGAIN!!!

That's considered post processing work as well.
11-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote

Does anyone use any IN CAMERA settings such as sharpening, with a k-x or k-r
That's what he said:

There are only 7 settings for in-camera sharpening:

None, or plus 3 or minus 3.

Same for color saturation, and other things.

This will not require weeks of testing as you claim, but if you want a recommendation now, try setting everything to -3, and see if you like it or not.
11-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If you hope to produce the best images possible with a DSLR, you had better learn about post processing in your computer.

There's no way around it.

However, that being said, if you insist on shooting just JPEGs (which is fine) and only use the in-camera settings (which is not fine), GOOD LUCK!!!

In this regard, digital photography is like fine. You capture the image, and then improve it by making prints.

And by the way:

Do you intend to crop any of your photos for final presentation, or do you expect to shoot all of your images perfectly cropped? Good luck AGAIN!!!

That's considered post processing work as well.

Yes I understand that anything done to an image after it is taken is POST processing, what I dont want to get into is TOO MUCH of that stuff.

And yes I think I have very good composition skills and VERY rarely crop, so I must have VERY good lucK!

I seem to be offending people by not wanting to do pp sharpening? WTF? No images can be good without PP?

And yes for me it might take weeks to test, I might only get an hour a weekend to shoot. Seeing as some ppl here have been shooting pentaxs for years, and I have been using Nikon. I thought I might find some good advice. Apparently I have: "put round thing on square thing and press shiny button" and "figure it out yourself"

Should have stuck to the Nikon forums I guess...
11-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A simple answer: in the "Custom Image" menu set +1 for sharpness and +1 for contrast (leave the rest at zero), use auto for High ISO NR, and you should be fine.

Last edited by jolepp; 11-03-2010 at 02:08 PM.
11-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I hope my humor has not set a poor tone with you and we are only trying to understand and give you help. This is a fantastic forum filled with a number of people who really like urging others to become better at photography.
But Yeah uh some of us kind have fun messing around and making time for photography.

You could set Sharpness to +1 and Contrast to +1 and never look at another menu or Photoshop program.
Sometimes image quality varies from lens to lens and I may make in camera adjustments when I see fit. Sometimes I play with sharpness, saturation and contrast if the lens is not performing in a manner I like. I am sure that on my K10 I have left it on the plus side of Sharpness just from laziness but I often will adjust Contrast and a little Saturation when the situation calls.
With my K-7, I don't bother with any of those three much. They are often set right at 0 but I will vary the Custom Image invariably.

Have a better week.