Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #1

Hello, new to it all...

whats up everyone... i have a few questions. Ran a search but I really dont know what im looking for being tho im not sure of a lot of the terms used.
Recently brought me a Pentax K-x, loving it (compared to recording with my cell phone, lol)
Im a model so im use to being in front of the camera and no i didnt buy one for that reason because i know photographies a skill/craft just like any other thing folks do.
I brought it because i record a lot of my ventures for myself to walk and show to others and i wanted something to be able to the Depth of Field look.

i wanted to ask whats the best/most reasonable lens I could buy for the K-x that would give it that look better than the 18-55 stock lens????
I want to be able to blur the images in the background even more and other way round...

also another question...

I edit my videos using Sony 7 ( i know..but i got it for free.. lol)
I wanted to know, from those that use Sony V. whats the best template to render the video in? i currently put it on 6mpbs HD720-30p video... not sure if thats right or not

keep it mind im new to all this..
thanks again
also heres an example of one i made using that render as selection:

11-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! If you want great depth of field control, one of the best you can buy for that is a Pentax 50mm f1:1.4.

Index of /Photos/ForSale/Payfor85/TakenWith/M50f14

You can also buy a 50mm f1:1.7 and do nicely as well. Actually Any fast prime lens will give you what you want.

11-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums RickVick!
To greatly blur the background of your subject, a good way is to use long zoom lenses.
Use any of the end or near end of the zoom and this will greatly blur your background.
Here's an example using a Sigma 28-200mm with this taken at 200mm if I remember right.
Attached Images

11-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! If you want something similar to the 18-55mm kit lens check out the Tamron 17-50mm 1:2.8. This should give you more control of the background being in focus or not and also be an upgrade as far as image quality is concerned.

11-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks folks for the advice, im about to research everyones suggestion, thanks again
11-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Either a long focal length, or a small f-number (larger aperture) will blur the foreground and background. The most blur will be with a long lens, like 200mm more, and a small f-stop like f2.8. Also, the camera-subject distance will affect how much is in focus.
11-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
@SpecialK... gotcha
thanks..preciate it, checking out some now

11-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Forum and congrats for the K-x.

You may wish to think about wheter you prefer a zoom lens or/and a prime lens. A zoom lens needs to comprise over the focal length range and would mos toften have a lower IQ than a prime lens for the same price.

I have both zoom and prime lenses, and each has its own usage. I have also 2 AF lenses and one MF. The diversity and complementary nature of these lenses is a blessing and give some a lot of options.

Since you already have a zoom lens (18-55), why don't you try to get a prime? Some options to consider could be :

- the DA40mm Ltd, a very, very small lens that will make your K-x smaller than all other dSLR, easy to carry, easy to handle

- a 50-55mm f1.a: that is a fast prime that can shoot even in low light conditions. (My Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 is such a beauty that I would recommend it very strongly if you are prepare to get a MF lens.)

Look also in the Users' review in the Forum as well as in the independent reviews by www.photozone.de.

Hope that the comment will help...
11-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Welcome! If you want great depth of field control, one of the best you can buy for that is a Pentax 50mm f1:1.4.

Index of /Photos/ForSale/Payfor85/TakenWith/M50f14

You can also buy a 50mm f1:1.7 and do nicely as well. Actually Any fast prime lens will give you what you want.

Ditto on the prime 50 1.4.

But go manual with an old M42 Takumar and adapter for your body.

See The Takumar Club thread under the Lens Forums.

A hundred bucks at most for the lens, $30 for the genuine Pentax adapter, and you're in like Flynt.
11-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps the new 35mm f2.4 DA-L would be a good comprise and seems to be a fantastic lens.