Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #1

Lens question...

Hi all,

I've searched the forum high & low and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for about the Auto Promaster MC 135mm f/2.8.

I have the opportunity to buy one but I can't find any info about it. Did it even come in a K mount (will it work without having to file or grind anything?). I don't want to try to mount it on my K20D if there's a risk of getting it stuck!

Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Treetop

11-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't matter if it was ever produced in K mount if you don't know that the one you have the opportunity to buy is K mount in the first place.

Understand?

That being said, never heard of it, and judging by the hokey name, I wouldn't waste my time. Sounds like cheap stuff.
11-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I'd be willing to bet that the lens is similar if not the same family as the sears / cosmicar / star-d / jc penny etc lens. If that is in fact the case, do a search on Stuck Ricoh Pin to learn if the lens will have a problem or not. The only mounts I can find the lens in on google are Non Pentax mounts.

11-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'd be willing to bet that the lens is similar if not the same family as the sears / cosmicar / star-d / jc penny etc lens. If that is in fact the case, do a search on Stuck Ricoh Pin to learn if the lens will have a problem or not. The only mounts I can find the lens in on google are Non Pentax mounts.

For all we know, this is a Minolta mount lens. And how can it have a Ricoh pin if it's not M42?

11-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
For all we know, this is a Minolta mount lens. And how can it have a Ricoh pin if it's not M42?
Huh? Can't say I've ever seen or heard of an M42 lens WITH a Ricoh pin. Did I miss something somewhere?

11-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Huh? Can't say I've ever seen or heard of an M42 lens WITH a Ricoh pin. Did I miss something somewhere?

I thought the dangerous Ricoh pins were on M42 lenses.

And hey:

Good thing for me that they can't take AWAY reputation points, huh?
11-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I thought the dangerous Ricoh pins were on M42 lenses.
The infamous Ricoh pin, if exists, is on lens with pK-A mount. In most cases, the marking is something like "PK-A/R-PK."

Note that Ricoh pin does not necessarily mean bad. The one in this photo is harmless because it's a ball, not actually a pin.

Back to the OP's question re. Auto Promaster MC 135mm f/2.8 lens: the lens could be used for Pentax. Promaster doesn't make lenses but rebadges lenses made by various manufacturers. You have to look at the mount of that particular lens to determine if the lens is for Pentax.

I once had a Promaster 28mm F/2.8 with pK-A mount (made by Sigma). So it's possible that the 135mm lens is for Pentax.

Last edited by SOldBear; 11-03-2010 at 03:05 PM.
11-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Two things here: Ricoh pins don't exist on M42 lenses, only on PK-A mounts. And some are only low balls, not pins. One that was no problem on my K20D *was* a problem on a Kx, so YMMV.

Second: My understanding was that Promaster was generally a store-brand name for Tamron lenses, same as a now-defunct chain used the Quantaray badge. I think my two Promasters (PK-A 60-300 and PK-AR 28-70) aare Tamrons, but I can't be sure. I'm too lazy and tired to research that right now. G'night. ZZZzzzzzz...
11-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Two things here: Ricoh pins don't exist on M42 lenses, only on PK-A mounts. And some are only low balls, not pins. One that was no problem on my K20D *was* a problem on a Kx, so YMMV.

Second: My understanding was that Promaster was generally a store-brand name for Tamron lenses, same as a now-defunct chain used the Quantaray badge. I think my two Promasters (PK-A 60-300 and PK-AR 28-70) aare Tamrons, but I can't be sure. I'm too lazy and tired to research that right now. G'night. ZZZzzzzzz...
Promaster is still around. And, yes, they are a lower cost store brand, although they are not tied to any particular store, like Quantaray was a captive brand of Ritz/Wolf camera.

BTW, Ritz is still around, as well. They emerged from bankruptcy a much smaller company. They closed all but three of their Ohio stores, so there are none near me, which is okay, since they were never any good anyway.

The story I heard was that, when Ritz went bankrupt, they owed Nikon something like $26 million. The company's founder bought the assets from the bankruptcy court, with the financial backing of Nikon USA. Apparently, Nikon figured that this was the only way they would have any hope of seeing any part of the $26M.