Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just won a Super Takamur 50mm/1.4

I've never used an M42 mount lens before and wanted frank opinions about which adapter to use. All my other lenses are K mounts and I understood that with some of the less expensive Adapters its possible to, essentially, permanently mount the adapter to the M42 lens thereby making it a K mount functionally.

Thanks!

11-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't mess about, get the real deal, the Pentax M42 adapter. Some of the cheaper options will lose infinity focus. The lens is quite easy to use on a Pentax dslr, set the aperture, press the green button, focus and take the shot
Enjoy the tak, its a lovely lens, great contrast, bokeh, and a seriously smooth focussing ring!
11-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
...set the aperture, press the green button, focus and take the shot .
Make sure the lens is in M mode.

If the camera is in Av mode, there is no need to "press the green button."

Sometimes it's easier to focus (at full aperture), set the aperture, take the shot.
11-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Don't mess about, get the real deal, the Pentax M42 adapter. Some of the cheaper options will lose infinity focus.
If you don't get the Pentax M42 adapter now, you'll get it later. Granted, it's more expensive than the cheapies you can find elsewhere, but it is well worth it!

11-04-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

A few points:

1) M42s will consistently underexpose on the K-x in Av mode, which is why I always shoot in M.

2) On the K-x, you don't have to use the Green button to lock in shutter speed, and you can assign it for something else. The Av+/- button defaults to do the same thing in M mode. (I shoot mostly JPEGs, and have my Green button assigned to switch to RAW.)

3) You will still get focus confirmation with these old manual lenses (beep and hexagon), but at very small apertures, it doesn't always work. So if I find myself shooting at F11, I'll focus wide open, then stop down, then hit the Av button.

4) Make sure you have it set for "Use Aperture Ring--Permitted."

5) Every time you power up the camera, you will get a menu to select the manual lens's focal length. (This is for shake reduction.) You'll select 50, and it will default to this every time you use this lens, but you still have to hit "Okay." If the next time you put a 135mm manual on there and select 135mm, it will keep defaulting back to 135 when you power up. (The camera remembers the last manual lens used.)

Have fun with it. That's my favorite lens!!!

Last edited by Ira; 11-04-2010 at 03:00 AM.
11-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thats a good lens I have one also but like they say get the real adaptor.
11-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've never used an M42 mount lens before and wanted frank opinions about which adapter to use. All my other lenses are K mounts and I understood that with some of the less expensive Adapters its possible to, essentially, permanently mount the adapter to the M42 lens thereby making it a K mount functionally.

Thanks!
Takamur? Looks like a great new brand Just teasing you, +1 for going with the genuine Pentax m42 adapter. I have 3 of those and I'm happy I have that much while I still can find them.

11-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 for the genuine Pentax Adapter. Many of the cheap adapters need a special tool to remove it from the camera body (unless you take out the spring clip, which gives the lens a chance to fall off of the camera). Very few allow infinity focus too. Also note: Some of the other adapters can short the contacts on the body - this can be helpful for catch-in-focus. Many threads on this topic too.

I've seen some threads where people discuss different ways of mounting the adapter semi or permanetly to the lens. Glue, epoxy, spot welds, etc. When I use old glass, it's usually only 1 lens so I don't need to go to such extremes.

Last edited by chalion; 11-04-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: even more spelling mistakes
11-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Takamur? Looks like a great new brand Just teasing you, +1 for going with the genuine Pentax m42 adapter. I have 3 of those and I'm happy I have that much while I still can find them.
Truth be told I am a terrible speller.
11-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Truth be told I am a terrible speller.
- I heard that excessive sex could badly affect your ability to spell. Is that true?

- Probabley knot!
11-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
- excessive sex
No such thing.
11-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens arrived today. Mechanically in great shape. A few dust specs that I can live with but its a bit yellow. I searched and it seems that these older Takumar lenses can yellow from storage. I've seen some recommendations about exposure to UV light. Any idea how effective this is and how long it takes?

Thanks!
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Any idea how effective this is and how long it takes?
I wrapped my Super Takumar 50mm 1:1.4 in aluminum foil, with the top open.

I left the lens on a south-facing window sill (outside), and turn the lens over half day.

It took only 2 days to get rid of the yellow tint.

It was August in No. CA.

If you leave it inside, it will take a loonnngggg time (months) because window glass blocks most of UV light.

If you have a friend working for a tanning salon, buy him/her a Starbucks coffee and ask for a favor

If you have an old EPROM UV eraser, you can try it too.
11-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I wrapped my Super Takumar 50mm 1:1.4 in aluminum foil, with the top open.

I left the lens on a south-facing window sill (outside), and turn the lens over half day.

It took only 2 days to get rid of the yellow tint.

It was August in No. CA.

If you leave it inside, it will take a loonnngggg time (months) because window glass blocks most of UV light.

If you have a friend working for a tanning salon, buy him/her a Starbucks coffee and ask for a favor

If you have an old EPROM UV eraser, you can try it too.
Thanks. The foil is to increase the light activity within the barrel?
11-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The foil to block the sun from hitting the outside of the lens (heat is bad). The "bottom" also helps reflecting the UV back into the lens.