Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Visible autofocus on new Pentax

I recently bought a Powershot S95, which I love, but I want to buy a 2nd hand DSLR to experiment a bit further on.
I don't want a canon/nikon, I want a Pentax partly for the massive availability of cheapish lenses and also because my dad was so disappointed with me buying a Canon!
I was thinking of the K100D, Id rather a K200D, but I have yet to see any come up on the bay, whereas there are a couple of 100D's due to go in the next couple of days. I was thinking this would be a good dslr to cut my teeth on, macro stuff mainly, with landscape and street photography a close 2nd. Its cheap and all pentax lenses will fit
My wife heard about my plans and wants to give me some money towards it for an xmas present, which means I might be able to get a new Pentax, maybe a k2000 or a k-x, but Im concerned about the newer Pentax models and their lack of a visible auto focus? Is this a big issue, how are people finding this?

How do you know what is in focus?

Also regarding the lens mounts, some models list Pentax KAF2, KAF, KA mount, and some only list KAF2, does this mean that if it is only KAF2, then some pentax lens will not work, or can I safely assume that most Pentax lenses will work with a Pentax camera?

Are there any good 2nd hand sites for Pentax camera's, I might still buy a new model, but if auto focus is an issue for a relative noob, then I will try and get a 100/200D 2nd hand

Im glad I found this place as the pentax forum on DPreview is like a ghost town and it was worrying me a bit - doesn't anyone buy pentax anymore?

Thanks for all your help

11-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
bfo

I think the K-x is the only model without visible AF-confirmation.

The marketplace on this forum is a good place to find used equipment.
11-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax mount lenses will fit all Pentax DSLRs, you can even use screwmount lenses (M42s) with an adapter. I bought the K100D when I first got into DSLRs and have been very happy with it. I bought mine at KEH which had it for a good price. Also, we (Pentax Forums) have affiliate stores, like Adorama, and B&H that carry used Pentax cameras and lenses, and accessories.

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!!
11-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

re: considering pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
I recently bought a Powershot S95, which I love, but I want to buy a 2nd hand DSLR to experiment a bit further on.
I don't want a canon/nikon, I want a Pentax partly for the massive availability of cheapish lenses and also because my dad was so disappointed with me buying a Canon!
---------I might be able to get a new Pentax, maybe a k2000 or a k-x, but Im concerned about the newer Pentax models and their lack of a visible auto focus? Is this a big issue, how are people finding this?

How do you know what is in focus?
I am an amateur, have had a DSLR only for a year and I have the K2000.

Autofocus point: I shoot with the settings set to center focus.
So whatever is in the center of the screen will be the area that is focused. Most people shoot this way whether they have visible focus points or not.

What if you want something off center to be in focus? Well, you focus on the place you want to focus, keep the shutter button still half-pressed and frame your shot the way you want and press the shutter fully.

Having 11 focus points on the screen would drive me nuts. There are uses for those things but nothing that most people would miss. If you want to spend the money, the new entry level model K-r does have visible points I am told. The k2000 is not that great in low light so the model in between the k2000 and the k-r is the k-x which has no focus points but is a great buy. Personally if I were to be a first time dslr buyer I would get the k-x

Someone else will answer regarding lenses I am sure. Otherwise scroll through the forum-that question has been asked and answered before.

The pictures below was taken without visible focus points, I focused on the mask and then moved the camera to frame it off center. Works well enough for us amateurs I think:

11-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Having 11 focus points on the screen would drive me nuts.
Me too.
11-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies everyone..

B&H are American unfortuantly, Im in the UK. I will keep a look out in the forums and see what comes up over the coming days as you have soothed my doubts.
My first DSLR will be a Pentax, hopefully either a 200D, or a K2000 as it is a little bit smaller..
Or maybe even a K-r - Im not sure yet..

Last edited by edgedemon; 11-04-2010 at 06:57 AM.
11-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We had to guess where you were since you didn't say. But we are also affiliated with Amazon who has a UK site.

11-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost 5 years ago I started out with the K100 - its a great camera. Its 6MP wonderful sensor, great package - has everything, wonderful entry level - excellent for learning. I still have it and use it....

About 18 months ago upgraded to a K20. More direct user controls, and much faster, but again kept and still use the K100.

The K200 is essentially the guts of the K10 slid into a K100's body. Again a wonderful setup.

As an introduction - especially at the price, I do not think you can make a mistake.

For Pentax you only have two mounts to worry about. The K (and all the sub types - but do not worry about them as the slight differences do not matter), they all work. Then the M42 screw mount, that works with an adapter.

QuoteQuote:
Im glad I found this place as the pentax forum on DPreview is like a ghost town and it was worrying me a bit - doesn't anyone buy pentax anymore?
On area page, scroll down to the bottom and take a look at who is currently logged on. This is a world wide site - it never sleeps, folks are on all the time and there are a lot of us.

QuoteQuote:
There are 1688 users online right now (221 members and 1467 guests)
11-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

B&H are American unfortuantly, Im in the UK.
Try SRS Microsystem in the U.K.. They are a Pentax Pro retailer. If you register with "Pentax User" forum, you get free shipping from SRS when you buy on internet.
11-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There is also a member selling his K100D, he's in Lisbon. As was mentioned earlier there are some great deals in our Marketplace forum, you really should check them out.

Here's the K100D:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/116843-sale-p...worldwide.html
11-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Personally I don't suffer too much from the AF points missing with the k-x. I suppose it would be a nice feature to have, but even with that I suspect I'd use the half press - recompose - full press routine most of the time as the indicators would merely show that the camera had focused on something else than I intended. Using the center point only I can get the camera to consistently focus on what want and with that the single viewfinder focus indicator is sufficient.

This would seem to turn up some uk sellers for the k-x: eCompare

There is also this: Buy Consumer Electronics at Simply Electronics, but I'm not quite sure I can recommend it although I got my k-x from them. It took over a week for them to ship an item supposedly in stock at the time of the order. I didn't mind that too much as Googling around had turned out similar expericences but they seemed basically honest in that people had received their stuff eventually. However, the bigger potential problem is that these might be grey imports which might mean problems with the warranty down the line: the included user's guide seems to be a photocopy and warranty - to the extent there might be one - works only trough the seller (or so I gather from the buyer experiences found by Googling).
11-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
There is also a member selling his K100D, he's in Lisbon. As was mentioned earlier there are some great deals in our Marketplace forum, you really should check them out.

Here's the K100D:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/116843-sale-p...worldwide.html
That K100D Super looks like a pretty good deal considering that lens sells in Romania for about 60 euro. So 170 euro for a body with SR...
I got an *ist DS body for 120 euro and I thought it was a good deal. Maybe I should have checked the Marketplace here more.
Anyway, I think your choice will depend on how much you're willing to spend.
11-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Would the focus points be nice to have? Sure, but it doesn't stop me from shooting. I have a K-x and like everyone else, keep my settings on center focus and do the focus then recompose routine. The only time I wish I really had the focus points is when shooting in dark environments where there is hardly any contrast. Mainly because the lines of the focus screen in the viewfinder disappear when it's dark and I have a hard time centering.
11-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the links and tips everyone, I will check them out...

Choices choices, Im really not sure what to go for now..
I like that 100D, but it is a bit pricy, I have been keeping an eye on ebay, and have yet to see a 100D go for more than £150 with kit lens.
I know ebay prices fluctuate, so not really an accurate guide. The 100D is a good beginners route in, but if it works out around the 200 mark, I might as well go for the model up and get 10MP instead of 6.1
Im trying to hold out for a 2nd hand 200D/K-m, I will keep an eye on the forums marketplace and see what comes up...
11-05-2010, 04:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the quick replies everyone..

B&H are American unfortuantly, Im in the UK. I will keep a look out in the forums and see what comes up over the coming days as you have soothed my doubts.
My first DSLR will be a Pentax, hopefully either a 200D, or a K2000 as it is a little bit smaller..
Or maybe even a K-r - Im not sure yet..
try pentaxuser Pentax User - Pentax Camera Magazine and their Classified Adverts Forum - Pentax User
since you and I are in the UK.