Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #1

Can't decide between Pentax & Canon

Hi folks

Long time lurker, first time poster

I'm torn between buying a K-r or a T2i/550d. I currently have an Olympus E-620 and went travelling with the kit lenses and the 25mm pancake. I loved the pancake so much I never used the kit zooms. I liked the challenge of a fixed focal length!

Pentax appeals with a wide range of primes (and pancakes). Canon have their range of primes as well, but they're not really pancake sized. I also read mixed reviews about some of the Canon primes / zooms. The Pentax primes (even the kit zooms) seem to be well regarded.

I guess my only concern is the longevity of Pentax as brand? I know they've been around as long as anyone else, but I guess I have some concerns they'll slowly fade away like Olympus, or release new lenses/bodies as often as them. I've been disappointed with Olympus generally concentrating on micro 4/3rds at the expense of regular four thirds.

The pricing of the K-r is also very competitively priced in Australia.

I don't expect to ever become a pro, for me it's only a hobby. So help convince me one way or the other!

11-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day mate.
You want pancake? Then forget the 'is Pentax going to stay in business' debate and just go for it. Simply, there are no better quality pancakes than Pentax's. It's their niche market.

K-r with DA 15, 21, 35 macro, 40, 70... take your pick - they're all excellent (and small/lightweight).

All the best in your decision.
11-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The longevity of Pentax is no longer an issue--or you can safely bracket it for a long while. Pentax hasn't been doing so well as now in many, many years. K-x was a success, and there is reason to expect K-5 and K-r will fare well too, if not better. And as Ash said, in terms of small excellent primes nothing beats Pentax.
11-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
Hi folks

Long time lurker, first time poster

I'm torn between buying a K-r or a T2i/550d. I currently have an Olympus E-620 and went travelling with the kit lenses and the 25mm pancake. I loved the pancake so much I never used the kit zooms. I liked the challenge of a fixed focal length!

Pentax appeals with a wide range of primes (and pancakes). Canon have their range of primes as well, but they're not really pancake sized. I also read mixed reviews about some of the Canon primes / zooms. The Pentax primes (even the kit zooms) seem to be well regarded.

I guess my only concern is the longevity of Pentax as brand? I know they've been around as long as anyone else, but I guess I have some concerns they'll slowly fade away like Olympus, or release new lenses/bodies as often as them. I've been disappointed with Olympus generally concentrating on micro 4/3rds at the expense of regular four thirds.

The pricing of the K-r is also very competitively priced in Australia.

I don't expect to ever become a pro, for me it's only a hobby. So help convince me one way or the other!

If you liked the Olympus pancake, you will like even more to travel with one limited lens on the body and one more in each pocket. They are pocketable!
I do DA15/35/70 ltd, but another good 3 lens combo is 21/40/70 ltd or combos of these two.
And like the others said, Pentax went through a couple of rough years loosing market around the shift from film to digital, including changes in ownership and leadership, but now it looks more stable on the management side and with a lens line more complete than any other APS-C system and bodies that live up to these lenses, I don't see how anything else than major global economical troubles could kill them.

As for Olympus, its a pitty they don't understand to use the potential of their systems. Compact bodies with bulky lenses does not make sense to me.

11-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Forum Member

I actually sold the T2i to get the KR. I have no regrets. The KR is a better camera in my opinion. The white balance is better. Its 6 FPS is much faster than the T2i. The KR has more custom features than the T2i. Plus buy the 2 lens kit with the 55-300 and you have a great zoom to go along with the kit lens. I have owned DSLRs by Nikon, Olympus, Sony and Canon and the KR is easily my favorite. Good luck!
11-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone who questions Pentax's longevity compared to Canon needs to be reminded that Canon hasn't exactly got the best track record for longevity.
11-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
JHD
Veteran Member

Canon is too big too fail.

11-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If worries over brand longevity is the primary concern, then your choices are extremely limited, and Canon and Nikon have you right where they want you. Many of us are using Pentax film cameras that are 30 or more years old, and still getting them repaired, so I think you can use these cameras as long as needed. With digital bodies, it seems to me that whatever the brand, obsolescence is the biggest threat.
11-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi folks

-----Pentax appeals with a wide range of primes (and pancakes). Canon have their range of primes as well, but they're not really pancake sized. I also read mixed reviews about some of the Canon primes / zooms. The Pentax primes (even the kit zooms) seem to be well regarded.

I guess my only concern is the longevity of Pentax as brand?
-----------I don't expect to ever become a pro, for me it's only a hobby. So help convince me one way or the other!

-If you never expect to ever become a pro, the longevity of a brand should not be much of a concern.
-If photography is a hobby, then find out what you love and see what models fit into it.
-My personal reasons for buying a pentax was more or less the same as yours. I didnt know anything about pentax longevity concerns when I bought mine and I didnt care. Cameras tend to last a long time. My only requirement was a small camera with small lenses that help you take great pics. Try the da limiteds. I take plenty of pics and carry my camera around all the time because they are so compact.
-You may the personality type that gets specs envy and get the 'upgrade' bug frequently. Do you have any other interests where you constantly 'upgrade' to the latest. If that is the case, another brand maybe a better choice.
11-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote

I wouldn't be so sure.. how many people have predicted that GM would file bankruptcy and need the US government to bail out. Although Canon is a Japanese co, it is different in many respects.
11-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Another consideration you may need to think about is that the pancake lenses mounted on the K-r are SR whereas any canon/nikon lens without IS would not.

If there is any indication that Pentax will fade away, then I will scoop up half-a-dozen k-5s cheap and be done with any further camera upgrades for good. And also some dirt cheap FA limited.... that would be good. I already have my 3-amigos, but I will collect more just in case for replacement parts
11-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

if you're worried of a mount change than I think it's a safe bet that the k mount will keep going strong after 35 or so years. being the single most compatible mount in the industry is Pentax's biggest asset imo (maybe not but it is it's biggest advantage to me).
I got into Pentax digital about 10 months ago with a K-x and because pf that compatibility I'm confident that I couldn't make a better choice (actually, maybe a used K10/K20 would have been a better choice).
but that's me, only you know, or will know, what is good for you regarding your shooting preferences.
btw if you're going with the k-r you might be interested in the new DA 35mm f2.4 that comes bundled with it, that seems to be the closest thing to the 25mm pancake rom Oly.
11-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #13
Forum Member

Pentax is bigger than you think as far as a worldwide camera company goes.
Pentax is more of a cautious brand coming out with products conservatively.

Keep in mind, although the lower end of Canon DSLR's get great reviews they are the bread
and butter of Canon profits. They are highest selling, most advertised, cheapest built, all
plastic, drop once and it's over, camera made. The new 60D and up is all I would ever buy if it
were to be a Canon.
11-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
They don't have to fail.
How may Canon FD lenses can be mounted and used with Canon Cameras built in the last 25 or so years without farting around with adapters?
Perhaps my memory is longer than it should be, but I wouldn't trust Canon to not render the EOS line obsolete.
11-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
How may Canon FD lenses can be mounted and used with Canon Cameras built in the last 25 or so years without farting around with adapters?
Not mine, or I'd still be shooting Canon, I think.

Pentax has been dead for 20 or 30 years now, according to others :-)