Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Christmas pictures

In an effort to do something for my kids school, one of the organizers asked me if I would be their photographer for their "Breakfast with Santa". Basically they are running out of time, and need a photographer to do the pictures of the kids sitting on Santa's lap. I've not given them a OK, but I'm considering it. It's a volunteer thing, so they will pay for my supplies. (ink, paper, etc) I've never done anything like this before, so who knows. I'm planning on taking my shoot through umbrella, extra batteries, etc. I think they print on the spot, so my thinking is take 20-25 shots, load them on my laptop, get them printing, then shoot some more. I've got 2 memory cards, so I don't think doing this should be an issue. The first year they did this, we went with out kids, and they were only using a polariod camera, so my K7 will be leaps and bounds above that level.

Anyone got any tips on doing an event like this? They are estimating about 150 kids. Is there any flaw in my basic thinking above, or can you think of something that may work better / different?

11-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! What an assignment!

Good luck!

I have no advice to offer, because this sounds like a real PITA.
11-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the support Ira! The things we do for our kids. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will like the work, and maybe I'll get some work out of this.
11-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Don't forget the ink!

11-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I would try to separate the shooting and the printing.

The best is to have the kids picking up the prints the next day, or the next next day. That gives you some time for simple post-processing if needed and significantly reduces the stress.

If it has to be "instant print," I would separate the shooting location and the printing location, and request the school to find someone (two or more) to handle simple post-processing (if needed) and printing. Of course you can provide some quick training for the printing people ahead of time, but I wouldn't try to manage shooting and printing at the same time.

You will need some assistance at the shooting location too.

150 is a lot of kids. The last time I checked, they were demanding customers!
11-05-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the good suggestions SOLDBear. I'll have to talk to them about the printing part of things. I guess waiting a day or three shouldn't be a big issue. My kids could just bring the pictures with them to school, and give them to someone to distribute. Maybe they will give me a elf to help me out.
11-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #7

When I have taken my daughter to one of these events, they usually have atleast two people, photographer and reviewer/printer. The photog swaps cards every so often to keep the reviewer busy. The reviewer just picks one out of the multiple the photog takes per child and prints the best one.
11-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

My advice:

RUN!

11-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Quote
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman there to hear it; is he still wrong?
If a woman speaks in the forest and there is no man there to hear it; is she still complaining?
11-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Thanks for the good suggestions SOLDBear. I'll have to talk to them about the printing part of things. I guess waiting a day or three shouldn't be a big issue. My kids could just bring the pictures with them to school, and give them to someone to distribute. Maybe they will give me a elf to help me out.
I'm with SOLDBear on this one as well. The scariest thing about this whole deal is the printing. In order to print on the spot, I would need to run quite a few test shots through this rig and develop PP settings which work with this lighting, printer, ink, paper, etc. I need, for example, very significant differences in gamma settings just between two printers I own from the same manufacturer. I can't imagine getting good results from an unknown printer without a good deal of work.
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm with SOLDBear on this one as well. The scariest thing about this whole deal is the printing. In order to print on the spot, I would need to run quite a few test shots through this rig and develop PP settings which work with this lighting, printer, ink, paper, etc. I need, for example, very significant differences in gamma settings just between two printers I own from the same manufacturer. I can't imagine getting good results from an unknown printer without a good deal of work.
The printer would be known, as I'd bring my own. At least that would be one thing out of the equation.

They are trying to get someone else. I told them I would do it if they got really stuck, but I hope they find someone else.
11-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Maybe your best bet is to post them online as a Flickr group...

Have the people email you with their choice(s)...

And then bring the final SD card to WalMart and print them there.

Don't kill yourself worrying about the printing end, let alone the cost. Let the school/organization/parents pay for the printing costs down to the penny, and you just concentrate on taking the photos.

The WalMart kiosk prints come out damn nice, they're cheap, and you save yourself a lot of gray hairs.

And by the way:

From personal experience, please don't make fun of the Jewish kids there, because we love Santa too.
11-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I can remember taking my kids to something similar many years ago. The kids got a Polaroid shot to bring home. To do professional quality shots of 150 kids is a little much to ask of a volunteer parent. It's too bad the Polaroids aren't around any more. They were great for this kind of thing and the kids always loved watching the picture slowly develop.