Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #31
Forum Member

Just ordered a K-r body

$680 delivered is only $65 more than I paid for my K-x body 12 and a half months ago.

11-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #32
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwar Quote
$680 delivered is only $65 more than I paid for my K-x body 12 and a half months ago.
Only $680? So that's only a $200 difference now:

The K-x with 18-55 kit is under $500 now.
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #33
Forum Member

newegg.com

$799 x 15% off - $5 offsets the shipping
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #34
Forum Member

Now if I could only get my hands on one of the B&H rebate cards

11-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
As opposed to K-x, which is made for advanced people and professionals? The K-x is an entry-level camera that delivers professional IQ. There's no reason to spend money on 4-6 years old cameras, or on the d3100, whose sensor is inferior to that of K-x. A newb can get any help that s/he needs either by consulting the manual or by asking question on here PF. I don't mean to attack you, but your suggestion wouldn't work for me personally if I wanted to buy my first dslr. No doubt, I would like to get the best bang for the buck in the entry-level category, and that's K-x--with K-r being an updated version of it.
i totally agree with you. i am not a professional photographer,i like photography just for the joy of it and i do at my leisure.so when i buy a dslr,this might be the only dslr i will ever buy.making the right choice is very important.i definitely want best bang for the buck.after a long battle of thoughts for 2 months between k-x and k-r,i narrowed down to k-x just because i got a good deal(body+18-55+55-300=678.9 USD)on amazon and i was convinced by then that for me k-r is not as worth those extra bucks as my near-future desire for an extra lens.
11-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #36

I recently was presented with the same quandary as the OP (though the K-r was at that point unreleased, it was right around the corner), and in the end decided on the K-x.

The only thing that almost had me waiting for the K-r was the brighter lcd. I learned to love shooting in live view for macro and landscape work with a Canon 50D I was able to use for awhile. The lcd of the K-x is adequate at best for these purposes; however, in the end I felt what money I saved would be better put towards the inevitable lenses I'll want ... or even towards a body such as the K-5 in the future.

For me the other benefits of the K-r weren't of any consequence for what I like to shoot - but make no mistake, they are benefits and may be worth the price difference if it makes what you like to image more enjoyable.

In my humble opinion anyway.
11-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The k-r is an in essence an improved k-x, the most important improvements being illuminated autofocus indicators on the viewfinder, faster autofocus in live view and a higher resolution display. In my opinion, while nice to have, these improvements are not essential so relative to current price of the k-x the $300 difference seems a bit steep for these and would be better used for an extra lens or other gear. Do get the double kit though, both the lenses are an excellent value for money especially so when bought as a kit.
That's pretty much it. This is a perfect time to buy the K-x because the new K-r is causing downward pressure on the K-x's price and the price difference is not work the incremental improvement. The K-x is already a superb entry-level DSLR.

Spending the difference on a better lens will certainly be the best way to improve quality or
versatility (depending what you choose).

- Itai
11-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #38
Inactive Account

I too am debating the same, although leaning more towards k-r due to the faster AF and higher burst. Since I plan to shoot some action. Is the AF increase substantial? What do you think?

11-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #39
Site Supporter

The K-r AF seems pretty fast to me! I think the screwdrive is a nice bit faster than the k-x which helps with some lenses. The FPS is actually almost silly fast (coming from 3.5fps) Like a machine gun
11-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I agree. The K-R AF is just as fast as the T2i I owned previously. Plus the 6 FPS is super fast! The K-R is an AWESOME DSLR, despite the focus on this forum being on the K5.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
The K-r AF seems pretty fast to me! I think the screwdrive is a nice bit faster than the k-x which helps with some lenses. The FPS is actually almost silly fast (coming from 3.5fps) Like a machine gun
11-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #41
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by marubex Quote
I too am debating the same, although leaning more towards k-r due to the faster AF and higher burst. Since I plan to shoot some action. Is the AF increase substantial? What do you think?
As a K-x owner, I'm talking out of my ass about this based on what I think I remember hearing:

The K-r is way improved in continuous shooting mode--the speed--resulting in much better in-camera HDR images.

If you do the math and the K-r is only going to run you $200 to $250 more (if so), I don't see the benefits of that savings with the K-x.

I would jump on the K-r in a heartbeat.

To save 200 bucks, you're going to buy the OLDER incarnation of this camera?
11-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Handheld HDR works a treat fyi
11-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If I were you (OP), I would buy a K-x, use that extra 200$ on some lenses, use this to learn a lot about DSLR (since it's your first, if I am not wrong), next year or next to that buy the ultimate K-L or K-3 (LOL, K-x ---K-r--- K-L & K-7----K-5----K-3), but seriously a k-x is more value at this moment and I am sure K-r is the best in it's class right now.

On other note, built-in help menu in camera software who needs that, for that you have K-x Manual and Pentaxforums.com

Last edited by ultraviolet; 11-11-2010 at 09:33 PM.
11-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #44
Ira
Inactive Account

I better stop reading this thread:

I want another body, and Christmas is coming up.

Maybe I should order another Pentax M42 adapter just to be ready.
11-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #45
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Handheld HDR works a treat fyi
I can tell you that it stinks on the K-x:

I manage to get one out of twenty shots in focus, but I keep trying.