Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Deimos's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingdom of Wonder
Posts: 1,708
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I can tell you that it stinks on the K-x:

I manage to get one out of twenty shots in focus, but I keep trying.
I guess its the HDR micro alignment and the fps that makes the difference. Works really well handheld even low light

11-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #47
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
I recently got a k-x, I haven't regretted it at all!
12-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #48
joenottoast
Guest




hey guys/girls, i was wondering if one of you could answer this question. i had an ist dl for a year, then i moved up to kx one year ago, but the more i learn the more i yearn for certain features and more control. does the k-r (or any pentax dslr) allow you to set multiple specific exposures to be shot in a row while not in bracketing mode? for example, lets say i wanted to hold the shutter release button and have the camera take a shot at 1/50, 1/100, and 1/250 in a row. is this possible?

i tried asking pentax themselves, here is what i got:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/joenottoast/pentaxdurp.jpg?t=1292210109

the purpose of this will be hdr time lapses. ive done some regular time lapses, and then this one which is kind of faux-hdr using cs5's hdr toning feature, but i want to do the real thing.

benfranklinbridge.mp4 video by joenottoast - Photobucket
12-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #49
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by joenottoast Quote
for example, lets say i wanted to hold the shutter release button and have the camera take a shot at 1/50, 1/100, and 1/250 in a row. is this possible?
But that's exactly what bracketing mode does. What is it about bracketting mode that you don't like?

12-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #50
joenottoast
Guest




bracketing mode, no matter what youre using (av, tv, even manual) automatically selects the shutter speeds for you. i want to SPECIFICALLY SET 3 exposures... heck maybe i want to do one at 1 second, one at 1/640, and one at 1/4000. thats a huge difference that id probably never need and is an extreme example but all i want to do is set my owwnnn shutter speeds rather than letting bracketing mode choose for me. even in manual mode i can select one shutter speed and bracketing mode decides on the others, and thats not good enough lol
12-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #51
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,841
I don't think there's a way to do this explicitly. On the K-7, you can shoot 5 bracketed images, with a maximum step of 2 Ev between them. That's a total range of 10 stops, and under most conditions, that's close to the limits of the sensor. With this adjustability, you could get it to include the exposures you want and discard images that weren't at the right values. On the K-x, I know bracketing is less flexible, probably not adjustable. I don't know about the other cameras, except the K-5 is probably equal to or better than the K-7.
12-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #52
joenottoast
Guest




speaking of k-5, i dont know if the forum allows this kind of self promotion but i am selling 5 of these k-5 bodies in RED on ebay (for my protection and yours) for way less than any price i could find. i got an epic sale at a local store and just bought enough to sell for enough profit to offset me buying my own. go capitalism anyway, check it out:



edit: i am simple, turns out these come with the 18-55mm kit lens. price remains the same

Last edited by joenottoast; 12-14-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: im simple
12-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #53
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 3
QuoteOriginally posted by anybee Quote
I recently got a k-x, I haven't regretted it at all!
I've had mine for 4 months now. Awesome camera!

12-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #54
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
To be honest, and people here might kill me for this, but if you havent had a dslr before AND are relatively new to more advanced photography, I would actually suggest a Nikon d40, d60, d3100 as they offer superb in camera help and explanations which make understanding why you are choosing a setting over another much much easier. Except for the d3100 they are pretty inexpensive as well

I started out on a d60 which was great to learn on and very capable. I just got a k-r and while it is absolutely fantastic, I am still a bit bewildered by all the settings and modes on offer. And the in camera help is pretty much non-existant.

That said if its only gonna be k-x vs k-r and its your first. I'd go for the k-r the extra features like showing the af points for one will make it much easier to learn on
I know everyone has already killed you for this, but I'll state my opinion anyway. You make good points, from what I have seen, the D40 has a ton of help messages in camera almost like a manual built-in.

However, you will most certainly outgrow it, and getting into photography is about buying into a system: lenses, accessories, etc. Thus, I highly recommend choosing based on where you want to end up, and perusing a book like "Understanding Exposure", tutorials online, or photography friends to learn, all of which I'd rate as highly superior to the D40's in-camera help. Camera manuals aren't that big, anyway.
12-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Deimos's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingdom of Wonder
Posts: 1,708
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I know everyone has already killed you for this, but I'll state my opinion anyway. You make good points, from what I have seen, the D40 has a ton of help messages in camera almost like a manual built-in.

However, you will most certainly outgrow it, and getting into photography is about buying into a system: lenses, accessories, etc. Thus, I highly recommend choosing based on where you want to end up, and perusing a book like "Understanding Exposure", tutorials online, or photography friends to learn, all of which I'd rate as highly superior to the D40's in-camera help. Camera manuals aren't that big, anyway.
I dont think people "killed me" they just flamed me defensively without understanding my comments, yay teh internets!

I disagree on the idea of buying into a system for life or whatever. Especially if it is your first dslr and you are sticking with the kit or one lens. You can always sell and upgrade to something better.

Thats what I did, no more Nikon, I have the K-r, a K1000 and 4 lenses lol Having that D60 really enabled me to learn quickly and get comfortable using a DSLR. But im sure a copy of Understanding Exposure and any camera would have done just as well.

Last edited by Deimos; 12-18-2010 at 08:16 AM.
12-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #56
Veteran Member
BirdDude007's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas NV
Photos: Albums
Posts: 504
I wanted the K-7 from the get go, but thanks to the economy I told the wifey that I wanted to at least get a new DSLR even if it means I have to step down to either a K-x or a K-r, and I told her that in that exact order.
She initially thought I wanted the K-x seeing as it was worded first on my list, well she decided to order it. Not knowing she ordered it I was talking about the entry level cameras and that I would not mind stepping down to a K-r or a K-x (in that order) and my wife says "ooooops I ordered your camera, and it is a K-x". I was a little bummed and she even told me I can send it back and get the K-r if I wanted, well after using this camera for a day I totally loved using it and totally forgot my want for the K-r. I DID weigh the differences and for the money I really got a nice set up. I got one of those kits off of Amazon with the lenses, bag, batteries, tripod, basically all the goodies.
I am extremely happy with it. I figured many different things into keeping this camera~
1) AA batteries are great! I will most likely use the lithiums, and even get the Eneloops, but what I really like about AAs is they are the most popular battery around and I can find them anywhere. Battery packs are nice but I think back to my past experiences with them and that is I really don't like battery packs, they are pricey, and proprietary, and basically a pain in the ass.
Now the batteries are a huge determination when it came to trading my x in for an r.
2) the focusing indicator in the view finder is totally useless to me, I would never use it.
3)the viewfinder is just fine, I just use large memory cards, heck they are so cheap nowadays, I just rely on my computer to view my images and not depend on another 1/4'' on my onboard screen, ya I use it but just to see if the shot registered on the camera, I use it more for adjustments in the menu than anything else.
4) they say it focuses faster in live view mode, yet another useless feature to me......I mostly use the view finder all the time.

This camera is nice and simple and it takes awesome shots as well, I am impressed with it so much that I am just going to take the $300 I saved on it and get something nice for it like a nice macro lens or a nice flash set up.
My main plan is to see how I do with this camera and if everything works out then I will spend the big bux and upgrade to something way nicer like the K-5 or maybe even a full frame camera whether or not Pentax comes out with one.
As for being a noob and learning the camera I feel this is a great camera to learn on and it is a great camera for doing nice professional shots as well, this camera will better prepare me for something nicer down the road, and it will still be a big part of my camera equipment when I do get something upgraded.

Just my two cents.
12-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #57
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I wanted the K-7 from the get go, but thanks to the economy I told the wifey that I wanted to at least get a new DSLR even if it means I have to step down to either a K-x or a K-r, and I told her that in that exact order.
She initially thought I wanted the K-x seeing as it was worded first on my list, well she decided to order it. Not knowing she ordered it I was talking about the entry level cameras and that I would not mind stepping down to a K-r or a K-x (in that order) and my wife says "ooooops I ordered your camera, and it is a K-x". I was a little bummed and she even told me I can send it back and get the K-r if I wanted, well after using this camera for a day I totally loved using it and totally forgot my want for the K-r. I DID weigh the differences and for the money I really got a nice set up. I got one of those kits off of Amazon with the lenses, bag, batteries, tripod, basically all the goodies.
I am extremely happy with it. I figured many different things into keeping this camera~
1) AA batteries are great! I will most likely use the lithiums, and even get the Eneloops, but what I really like about AAs is they are the most popular battery around and I can find them anywhere. Battery packs are nice but I think back to my past experiences with them and that is I really don't like battery packs, they are pricey, and proprietary, and basically a pain in the ass.
Now the batteries are a huge determination when it came to trading my x in for an r.
2) the focusing indicator in the view finder is totally useless to me, I would never use it.
3)the viewfinder is just fine, I just use large memory cards, heck they are so cheap nowadays, I just rely on my computer to view my images and not depend on another 1/4'' on my onboard screen, ya I use it but just to see if the shot registered on the camera, I use it more for adjustments in the menu than anything else.
4) they say it focuses faster in live view mode, yet another useless feature to me......I mostly use the view finder all the time.

This camera is nice and simple and it takes awesome shots as well, I am impressed with it so much that I am just going to take the $300 I saved on it and get something nice for it like a nice macro lens or a nice flash set up.
My main plan is to see how I do with this camera and if everything works out then I will spend the big bux and upgrade to something way nicer like the K-5 or maybe even a full frame camera whether or not Pentax comes out with one.
As for being a noob and learning the camera I feel this is a great camera to learn on and it is a great camera for doing nice professional shots as well, this camera will better prepare me for something nicer down the road, and it will still be a big part of my camera equipment when I do get something upgraded.

Just my two cents.
Congratulations. It's a great camera in its own right and I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
02-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #58
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 49
I know i am asking in delay, but......


I have the K-x, it is good and i love it.

I am also new to dslr it is my first.

I have a problem with my k-x so i am sending it back for replacement.


My question is:

k-x cost me 600$, I can send it for a refund, and get the k-r for 742$.

should I do that?

Is 150$ worth the upgrade?
02-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #59
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
I own a K-x but if I could change it for a K-r for just $150 I'd do it. Better continuous auto focus and higher res lcd would be worth it to me. Lithium battery and illuminated focus points don't matter to me but they might for you.
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #60
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 1
Hi, I`m not new to photography although i am new to digital and i plumped for the kx, i think its a great value camera, menu was a bit complicated at first but i`m getting there, ive always had Pentax, i love the fact i can still use all my old glass.
Great forum guys, found some answers to some niggling questions ive had and found the whole site entertaining and informative. Cheers.!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-r, k-x, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top