Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x or K-r?

I am new to DSLRs and this will be my first one. I like both the K-x and the K-r and can't choose between the 2. So my question is this.

Are the upgrades offered by the K-r worth the extra $300 or so difference between the two for a first time DSLR buyer? I am looking at the kit that includes the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm lense for each.

Appreciate the help!

11-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DangerMoose Quote
I am new to DSLRs and this will be my first one. I like both the K-x and the K-r and can't choose between the 2. So my question is this.

Are the upgrades offered by the K-r worth the extra $300 or so difference between the two for a first time DSLR buyer? I am looking at the kit that includes the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm lense for each.

Appreciate the help!

To be honest, and people here might kill me for this, but if you havent had a dslr before AND are relatively new to more advanced photography, I would actually suggest a Nikon d40, d60, d3100 as they offer superb in camera help and explanations which make understanding why you are choosing a setting over another much much easier. Except for the d3100 they are pretty inexpensive as well

I started out on a d60 which was great to learn on and very capable. I just got a k-r and while it is absolutely fantastic, I am still a bit bewildered by all the settings and modes on offer. And the in camera help is pretty much non-existant.

That said if its only gonna be k-x vs k-r and its your first. I'd go for the k-r the extra features like showing the af points for one will make it much easier to learn on
11-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
To be honest, and people here might kill me for this, but if you havent had a dslr before AND are relatively new to more advanced photography, I would actually suggest a Nikon d40, d60, d3100 as they offer superb in camera help and explanations which make understanding why you are choosing a setting over another much much easier.
Exactly how is shooting a Nikon easier than shooting a Pentax?

And exactly why should he expect to get more support from a Nikon site than here?

Bad answer.

If you can afford the extra $300 without a big ouch, go for the K-r, but if not, the K-x is MINIMALLY behind it, especially for a new shooter. For 500 bucks for the K-x and 18-55 kit lens, you can't go wrong.
11-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I 100% disagree with the advice from Deimos.

If you are brand new to photography just stick it in auto for a while, the camera will still take photos. At some stage in the first few weeks spend even 5 minutes of reading about what aperture is and you’ll be able to progress to shooting in Av mode which even pros use a lot. Another 30 minutes of reading and you will understand the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture and you’ll be ready to shoot in any mode.

Regardless of which DSLR you choose you need to understand this anyway if you want to progress beyond snapshots. No hand holding menu help in camera can substitute for that.

That said, I'd buy the K-x and use the money saved to buy the DA L 35mm f2.4 prime in addition to the kit lens(es).

Good luck !

11-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Appreciate the help!

Only you can decide if the upgrades are worth it. To those who are buying k-r, they are well worth. Main advantages, as I see it:
1. Better AF system
2. You can see what focus point you have chosen. You can choose between different points even in the k-x, but you choice is not visible in the viewfinder.

To me, 2 is not really important because of the way I shoot. I always focus and then recompose. 1 will definitely come in handy though. K-x is not good in lowlight situation with zoom lenses.
11-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Exactly how is shooting a Nikon easier than shooting a Pentax?
The d40/d60/d3100 are made specifically for newbs. Built in help & explanations for all settings at the touch of 1 button along with pictures for reference. Sorry but that actually DOES make it easier to learn. I can speak from experience on this one

Dont forget I sold my nikon and bought a pentax k-r dont get your panties in a bunch

Last edited by Deimos; 11-04-2010 at 04:46 PM.
11-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The k-r is an in essence an improved k-x, the most important improvements being illuminated autofocus indicators on the viewfinder, faster autofocus in live view and a higher resolution display. In my opinion, while nice to have, these improvements are not essential so relative to current price of the k-x the $300 difference seems a bit steep for these and would be better used for an extra lens or other gear. Do get the double kit though, both the lenses are an excellent value for money especially so when bought as a kit.

11-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some advice. I would add:

- Both the K-x and K-r are great cameras. You cannot be wrong with either.

- The K-r is an improved version of the K-x and it might be advisable. Improvement include improved view finder, choice of 2 batteries,...

- The kit lenses are great value for money. Good choice.

- Do not forget to buy good quality rechargeable batteries and a good battery charger.

Hope that the comments will help...
11-04-2010, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #9

Go for the k-x

I was total newbie earlier this year (still am compared to most of you

But....why buy a nikon, canon or anything else...with the k-x you are getting about the most feature packed camera for the money. In body stabilization is a big deal with prime lenses. Pentax also feels the most comfortable to me also.

Also, I have to say, buying a dslr is a slippery slope. I bought the k-x in feb. 2 months later I bought the da 55-300 and then a month later I bought the da 40 limited. You will want to buy lenses, so why not pick a brand and stick with it. I do have to say, for the money a k-x/da40 limited combo is *really* impressive!!! So small and great quality!!

The k-x is just fine for a beginner camera.....buy a good book like "understanding exposure" look at youtube videos and most importantly look through all the threads in this site. I cannot emphasize enough how helpful this site has been in helping me understand the basics of photography.

So here is how I see it. Just take pics with your camera (even if it is auto). Do the heavy learning on websites such as this...people are really nice on this site.

Buy the k-x (instead of k-r) and then use the extra money and buy a da 40 limited..you will never look back!
just my two cents.....
11-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The d40/d60/d3100 are made specifically for newbs. Built in help & explanations for all settings at the touch of 1 button along with pictures for reference. Sorry but that actually DOES make it easier to learn. I can speak from experience on this one

Dont forget I sold my nikon and bought a pentax k-r dont get your panties in a bunch
As opposed to K-x, which is made for advanced people and professionals? The K-x is an entry-level camera that delivers professional IQ. There's no reason to spend money on 4-6 years old cameras, or on the d3100, whose sensor is inferior to that of K-x. A newb can get any help that s/he needs either by consulting the manual or by asking question on here PF. I don't mean to attack you, but your suggestion wouldn't work for me personally if I wanted to buy my first dslr. No doubt, I would like to get the best bang for the buck in the entry-level category, and that's K-x--with K-r being an updated version of it.
11-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter

When you are out in the field taking shots there is no pentaxforums! and why open a manual when you can push a button. I agree that k-x is best bang for buck no doubt and blows all those nikons out of the water IQ and hi ISO wise, but it is not easier to learn on than an entry nikon sorry.

that said you really cant go wrong in any case, hell buy anything these days everything is capable

QuoteOriginally posted by trevorgrout Quote
I do have to say, for the money a k-x/da40 limited combo is *really* impressive!!! So small and great quality!!

The k-x is just fine for a beginner camera.....buy a good book like "understanding exposure"
That would be a nice combo, I still want a da40 its like a big body cap!

Understanding Exposure is fantastic, its like having a conversation rather than reading a manual.

Last edited by Deimos; 11-04-2010 at 06:06 PM.
11-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's my 2 cents on this topic. I recently went through the same process and ended up with the K-x with the 18-55 + 55-300 lens kit. The reviews on the 300 vs the 200 make it a no brainer IMHO to go with the 300 and the price difference when purchased in the kit is minimal.

On the K-x vs K-r. You've heard about the differences, do you know what they mean? If not, and a beginner really won't, then how can they be worth $300 more to you?

On the issue of the K-r having 2 battery options. Right now that is not true, there are no adapters available for using AAs with the K-r per multiple posts here and Google searches. So, the K-r uses a proprietary battery and the K-x uses AAs. IMHO the K-x wins hands down on that one. I got 1700+ photos on 1 set of Lithium batteries and get around 700 on a set of NiMH. WHY would you want to be restricted to a proprietary battery pack? You know you'll want a 2nd battery, at what cost? If I run out when out shooting I can always buy batteries at any grocery, drug, or convenience store and keep shooting. That is a great advantage IMHO.

Does the K-r have some nice additions, sure. But as someone said - why not take the extra $300 and buy a Pentax DA 35mm f2.4 AL lens for $219 (list)? and on some great Eneloop batteries and charger?
11-04-2010, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Your statement almost sounds like that Corolla is more new driver friendly than Sentra cause it has better interior layout.

I can't say much about d40 or d60 but from my research i've read many times that Nikon's interface wasn't popular for being newbie friendly. But i am sure they are great cameras. The more important question i would ask myself is lenses - which brand has lenses i may need in future and how much will cost WHOLE system, not just body.

Pentax K-X is my first DSLR and manual had everything i needed to start taking photos in custom modes. I didn't finish reading it but i am sure it has everything i need to fully utilize all camera features. And interface was intuitive enough to mess with some settings without reading manual. I was considering K-R but can't justify price difference. I think much wiser choice would be save money and get K-5 in future. Cause eventually we both going to outgrow K-X or K-R. So, my advice get cheapest camera first and couple nice lenses and start saving money for better body in future when you are ready to upgrade. That what i am planning to do at least. Good luck.
11-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Appreciate the help!
I really believe the Kx is the best entry-level DSLR on the market and that includes the Kr so no I do not believe the Kr upgrades are worth the extra $300. Now that is just my opinion and others believe the Kr is definitely worth the extra $300.

The Kr has an AF assist lamp - the strobe on the pop up flash on the Kx works well enough for me.

The Kr has a higher resolution LCD screen - the screens are small enough to where this does not matter to me.

People have done side by side testing of IQ and most cannot see a difference, even in high ISO range, where the Kr was suppose to be better.

The Kr has AF indicator lights in the viewfinder, this is useless to me because I only ever use center spot.

The 2 upgrades that do matter to me are the improved AF system and the 6 fps. Those 2 are very appealing to me but again are not worth the extra $300.
11-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Black_ronin Quote
Your statement almost sounds like that Corolla is more new driver friendly than Sentra cause it has better interior layout.

I can't say much about d40 or d60 but from my research i've read many times that Nikon's interface wasn't popular for being newbie friendly. But i am sure they are great cameras. The more important question i would ask myself is lenses - which brand has lenses i may need in future and how much will cost WHOLE system, not just body.
fron dpreview in the original d40 review:

"In everyday use the D40 is just what it set out to be, a very capable, compact, lightweight and easy to use camera which makes a perfect first step for anyone wanting to get into digital SLR photography. It provides enough control and a large enough range of manual settings to enable you to experiment and learn but also helps you to take great pictures in the process. It's one of those cameras you can just pick up and start shooting without fuss, that you can hand to a friend who's never used an SLR and know they'll be able to do the same. "

I dont buy into the whole one system for life, I switched to Pentax from Nikon and now own five lenses and a film k1000. Pentax now baby! The free market is a wonderful thing, and lots of ppl looking for used gear.