Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #1

K-X flash strength?

Is the Pop-Up flash of the Pentax K-x adjustable in brightness? I could have sworn i was reading two people talk about that on the forums before.....

11-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure this is not an option on the Kx because I have read the entire manual and have never heard anyone talk about it.

*Maybe someone hacked the software or even the hard wires to do so.
11-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Raylon

From Pentax:

Q: Can the flash output of the K-x be compensated?

A: Yes, the output of the built-in flash or a PENTAX external flash can be adjusted in the range of -2.0 EV to +1.0 EV. [Status screen > Flash Mode screen].
11-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
Is the Pop-Up flash of the Pentax K-x adjustable in brightness? I could have sworn i was reading two people talk about that on the forums before.....
Hi Silverkarn,

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to adjust the normal P-TTL exposure, you have Flash Exposure Compensation (normally -2 to +1 Ev) in the flash menu and you can probably double up with the regular Ev Compensation (IIRC -2 to +2 Ev -- I don't have a Kx so I'm not sure). I know that I can use both in at least my later Pentax bodies.

Use (-) Flash Ev or Ev comp to lessen the flash's exposure and (+) to brighten it.

If you get inconsistent flash exposures, try using a fixed ISO. Also try setting the AF to lock with AE in your custom menu. P-TTL flash with the popup should be pretty accurate for what it is.

Scott

11-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
From Pentax:

A: Yes, the output of the built-in flash or a PENTAX external flash can be adjusted in the range of -2.0 EV to +1.0 EV. [Status screen > Flash Mode screen].
I guess I missed that part. But thats good to know. I'm gonna try that.
11-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've found it very nice to be able to dampen down the flash to use it as a lower level fill at higher ISO. In several shots it has brightened the face in a darkened room without lighting up the entire room. Very nice feature.
11-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've found it very nice to be able to dampen down the flash to use it as a lower level fill at higher ISO. In several shots it has brightened the face in a darkened room without lighting up the entire room. Very nice feature.
Its about the only nice feature of the flash... Set anywhere up from -1 it looks horrible!
11-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Its about the only nice feature of the flash... Set anywhere up from -1 it looks horrible!
you can use a diffuser

11-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
you can use a diffuser
Or bounce it on a wall or ceiling with a mirror. On-axis flash other than light fill flash sucks pretty bad.
11-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Ananta Androscoggin

I'm almost all the way through the K-x manual, and apparently I missed that part when I read through the Flash section.

Glad to know about it, and thanks.
11-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Perhaps I am not as discerning but I find the flash on the K-x to be a very solid performer. No, it's not as good as bounce flashes, remotes, etc., etc., and natural light is always my preference but there is nothing wrong with it IMHO. It's a pop-up built-in flash and for what it is its performance is absolutely fine.
11-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
From Pentax:

I must be blind, or dumb. Either way i cannot find this setting......
Can someone explain?
11-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
I must be blind, or dumb. Either way i cannot find this setting......
Can someone explain?
Click the down arrow button to go to the flash menu from the main status screen. Then use the the scroll wheel thing to adjust flash brightness.
11-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm really glad someone told me about this flash strength. I tried it today and when I don't have my diffuser with me, this is the next best thing. I was actually able to shoot someone's face at night with skin tones not too harsh while lighting up the background a little too.
11-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cinders Quote
Click the down arrow button to go to the flash menu from the main status screen. Then use the the scroll wheel thing to adjust flash brightness.
Oh my GAWD!!
This is GREAT!

I have the Puffer and at full strength it is too strong, with the puffer and slightly toned down flash this will work perfectly for Thanksgiving/Christmas photos.