Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Dear RTROX, I was in the same predicament when I bought my K20D in May 2009. And you asked about settings, but no one suggested the right one. I had the same experience on this forum, so I found out the best settings. Here they are, and I bet you will start taking great photos:
a) use BRIGHT; Hue & Saturation "0", Contrast +2, Sharpness +3. See Fn menu.
b) use Auto AWB
c) Auto ISO between 100 & 800. Dont use Dynamic Range. Fn menu.
d) Centre point autofocus (SEL dial to center)
e) Spot metering is perfectly OK. Where you have an expanse of sky, snow or
water, use Matrix (multi segment) metering.
f)set auto focus to AF-S (single)
g) choose single exposure in the Fn menu
h) set JPEG quality to highest (premium) and 10 megapixel.
i) turn shake reduction ON
j) use Program (P) mode switching to Av (aperture priority) or Tv (shutter priority)
at the touch of the front and rear e-wheels. To return to Program mode just
press the green button.
k) keep the sun behind you. Shoot on sunny days.
Then post a few of your best shots.
You have great camera and an excellent lens collection.
Thanks I am trying those settings right now!

11-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
After 85,000 shots on my K20d I can atest that my copy takes slightly dark exposures too. I have read many times that Pentax does that as a conservative move to prevent blow-out from bright areas. Regardless, I often add +0.5 stops to the exposure when in Av or Tav mode.

Funny, my K-5 tends to overexpose slightly and I keep that camera at -0.5 exposure comp usually. All of this would only be a problem if there was no easy adjustment.
You've nailed it, guy. Back when the PZ-1 came out, one of the magazines did a test of the matrix metering on all the cameras then out, and panned Pentax because it was 0.5 stops under all the way. They claimed the Canon was better, but the Pentax results were exactly the same for every exposure test except bright subject on dark background. The Canon was over here and under there so much that a slide show with them would have been completely bad. I add the exposure in post processing if it needs it, but then I'm an anal old phart and use only RAW.