Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

camera bag recommendations

Hi all,

Just got a k-x kit with 2 lens (18-55, 55-300), with a 3rd lens coming on the way (helios 44). What camera bag would you recommend to hold the K-x with lens attached, 2 other lenses and potentially a flash?

Thanks!

11-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you like shoulder bags then you'll like the Crumpler 5 or 6 million dollar home for that kit. I have the 5 and the 7. The 7 is quite big and fits all my stuff (4 primes, 3 zooms, flash, K-x, video camera + p&s. The 5 I use for going out and packing a few lenses and my Kx, or a flash and couple of lenses. A 6 is might be a good compromise.
11-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've got the lowepro slingshot 100AW, but there are bigger models. I have the K-x, 2 lens kit, and 2 other lenses and have no problems. I love how easy it is for me to take the bag hiking and just walking around the city, and took it camping last week. It has a rain cover in case you get caught in the elements.
11-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
not sure if you're a man or a woman but for women etsy.com has some awesome bags if you just search for "dslr bag" and kelly moore has mostly (AMAZING) women's bags but they've got a couple of men's bags as well.

11-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is the best website for comparing bags that I have found.

CAMBAGS.COM Camera bag review resource for Canon and Nikon D-slr cameras

I own the LowePro Fastpack 350 for a set-up similar to yours. Backpack for camera and laptop, easy access like a sling bag, extra storage for accessories. The only complaint I have with it is that the top grab handle is a tad small.

Tim
11-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did a lot of searching before I bought my Lowepro backpack. I didn't want a shoulder bag that would dig into my shoulder but I wanted something that had enough room to hold my gear. Although the bag looks small in size, you would be surprised what you can store inside. I can fit my K10D(gripped) with a Sigma 135-400mm attached, a 16-45mm, Sigma 105mm macro, 50-200mm, 18-55mm, a flash and a bunch of other little things. I got mine on Ebay for around $80.

Lowepro - Flipside 300
11-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I started out with a Slinger bag that came as a package deal with my K20D, but quickly outgrew it with lenses and paraphinalia. Lowpro appeared to make the best backpacks for the money (though still pretty expensive), but I picked up a good used backpack from a second-hand store for $3 and used the velcro pads from Slinger to pad it. Although it has a number of pouches, pockets and zippered compartments, it lacks the specialized pockets and pouches of the Lowpro, so sometimes I have to hunt for a particular lens, but it is comfortable to hike with, and I'm getting by just fine for $3.
I also needed a lens bag for my DA* 200mm and had a pair of thick LaCrosse knee socks that I never wore, so that became my lens sock. These socs are finely woven and over 1/4-inch thick, so it actually protects the lens better than anything I can buy.

11-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I shop "in person" for bags when possible to make sure there is no odd zipper that will rub across the LCD, etc, or other funky design issues.

I like Tamrac shoulder bags, and their website has pretty useful diagrams of the compartments. I would suggest getting one that holds "everything" plus an extra hole for expansion.

Once you get a bag that holds everything, you might want to get a small one for outings when you know you may only bring one extra lens.
11-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Amazon.com: Lowepro Nova 3 AW Camera Bag (Black): Camera & Photo

This is the first bag I bought. It currently holds my K5 with the grip and an FA*85 attached, my AF540 with a Stofen attached, and room for my DA*300 f4. It'll certainly hold your K-x kit with a lens attached and room to spare. It's physical size is about 12x12x10. I've had as many as 8 primes (and the camera body and flash) in this bag. Fits nicely into small spaces, easily concealed, and you can arrange the inside any way you like. I have backpacks, larger camera bags, and even Pelican cases. THIS is my go to bag for a small go out and shoot kit.

11-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamrac is good, I have one. I recently purchased a Swiss Army shoulder bag from Best Buy on sale. Built Tank tough, doesn't look like a camera bag, and holds all the gear the OP has listed and more.
11-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I went thought a bunch of options when I got my K-x with the same kit. I asked here for input and got a lot of suggestions that were very helpful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/113906-new-k-x-...ggestions.html

I am currently using the Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55AW with attached lens bag.

Amazon.com: Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55 AW (Black): Camera & Photo

I swapped out the strap, pretty poor frankly, for one from an older laptop case that has extra padding and an anti-slip interior surface plus all metal hardware

Added the Lowepro Lens Case 1 to it
Amazon.com: Lowepro Lens Case 1 (Black): Camera & Photo
and I'm pretty comfortable taking several lenses, the camera, extra batteries, cleaning gear, and several filters with me.
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #12

I bought the same kit as yours (K-X with 18-55 and 55-300) and now own another 3 lenses and 2 more on the way (LBA!!!!) Anyway to stay on topic, I ended up purchasing the Lowepro 102AW, the one main factor I was looking for (other than space) was the ability to reach my camera without having to remove the bag from my back. Lowepro allows me to do that, there are bigger ones but so far I am able to fit my two kit lenses and the 3 I have at the moment. Lowepro also have different accesories like individual lens bags that can attach to the exterior of the lowepro bag, this is what I may do once I receive the two lenses I have on the way. Just FYI I purchased mine from ebay for $40 when it retails for $80.
11-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
thanks for all the replies, everyone!

i'm still not making a final decision, but i must say that i am leaning towards the lowepro slingshot. to the slingshot owners out there, would the 102 suffice or should i bite the bullet and get the 202 (for future kit expansion.. ).

follow-up question - on an airplane, would the 102 or 202 qualify as an extra carry-on bag on top of the usual carry-on luggage?

thanks again!
11-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #14

It all depends on what your needs are. As I said, I have the 102 but its getting to the point where I may need extra space so I am considering the add on lens bags that attach to the exterior of the bag.

As far as airplanes, so far I have not had to pay for the 102. In general the rule used by most airlines is that if it fits under the seat then is no charge. You can always check out the dimensions on lowepro website and compare against the baggage regulations of each airline carrier beforehand.
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My two cents, check out the mountainsmith line. They make excellent outdoor gear that is sturdy and made for cameras. I have the Kit cube that I can put in just about any bag if I am traveling light. I have the tour fx that I use most of the time until I outgrow it or have to start deciding what I dont want to take with me that day. There backpacks look great I just dont have that much gear yet. Remember too that you can customize any bag as well to hold things that it might not say it accomodates in the description with extra Domke inserts or picking up a cheap bag to get extra velcro inserts and maximize your space.
Kit Cube:
Mountainsmith
Tour FX:
Mountainsmith
Mountainsmith camera line:
Mountainsmith