Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Image sensor cleaning risk using blower bulb

How much risk is there in using a blower bulb (a VisibleDust Hurricane Blower) to clean the image sensor (the low-pass filter or SP coating)? Is it effective? Is there a risk of introducing more dust?

--DragonLord

11-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
How much risk is there in using a blower bulb (a VisibleDust Hurricane Blower) to clean the image sensor (the low-pass filter or SP coating)? Is it effective? Is there a risk of introducing more dust?

--DragonLord
As long as the camera does not shut off and flip the mirror down or you do not touch the sensor, there is next to zero risk. Someone however reported a small bug (insect) had blasted out of his blower (think splatter on the windshield) and created a big problem. So give the blower a few blasts before aiming it inside your camera.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-se...ml#post1128045

11-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somehow a fiber had gotten onto my sensor. No idea how, but I followed the instructions here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120365-dusty-sensor.html

and got one of these
Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large (Black): Camera & Photo

and all is well again.
11-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'll probably get the Giottos AA1900. It seems more people use this and that this is a better solution.

--DragonLord

11-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a generic blower and use it pretty often. I have sometimes noticed more dust specs after I use it but those specs could have already been in the camera and the blower made them visible, but I just do the blower again and their gone. I think most blowers are very safe to use, but I would give it a few squeezes before you actually blow inside your camera.
11-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you want to be extra safe, you can try to blow out any contaminants from the blower before pointing it at the sensor, and also not insert the nozzle so far that the mirror would hit it if it went down unexpectedly.

Paul