Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Hood or no hood?

I have a Pentax DA 18-250 lens on my K100D, I recently dropped my camera and fortunately the blunt of the impact was taken by the lens hood which shattered into 3 pieces. The only damage to the camera was the MF woud not work only the auto focus. I am currently having the camera repaired and wandering if I really need to replace the hood; afterall it was because I had it attached that it fell out of my "Lowepro TLZ Mini Bag" when I lent forward. I have a Hoya UV(0) filter attached to the lens also.

11-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you do- hoods really help in more ways than one. There's an article in the articles section on why that is

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I vote hood! They have saved more than one lens for me in the past. (never set your camera on the shelf where the cat likes to sleep.)
11-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes, there is a reason hoods are made :-)

11-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Use a hood. You won't regret it because it'll help in many ways as Adam states.
11-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hood. Live it. Love it. If bag does not like the hood, find bag that does.
11-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Another vote for a hood. They really do help with flare when shooting during daylight and as you found out first hand they offer extra lens protection. I have bumped into walls, people, etc with a hood on and wondered how things would have been different without a hood on. I might have less lenses.

And like Ratmagiclady said, if it does not fit in your bag, get a new bag.

11-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I vote yes for the hood. They protect the lens a bit, as you found out, and they improve flare and there is some evidence that they also improve precision of focus from what I am reading.
11-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hood.

I'd take a lens with a hood and no UV filter over a lens with a UV filter and no hood anytime.
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

keep the hood.

ditch the filter.

and never use a filter at night, they create strange reflections.
11-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

@woonona_butch: In case you haven't gotten the message: a hood is important.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
keep the hood.
Why would one keep a broken hood ??
11-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Your experience is proof-positive of the value of a lens hood. Had you not had one on the lens, the lens might have been completely trashed and there might have been more damage to the camera.

You say that the hood caused you to drop it. That's possible, but it is certainly possible to drop a camera/lens that is not wearing a hood.

A proper hood has no downside, besides perhaps making it a little bit longer. An improper hood can cause vignetting or intrude into the image, but a proper one will not. In many shots, a hood will make no difference, but if you are shooting anywhere close to the direction of a strong light source, such as the sun, it can reduce or eliminate lens flare. If flare is not a danger, the hood will have no detrimental effect on the image. The same can not be said for a filter. Even a really good filter can cause unwanted reflections. A bad filter is almost certain to.

I almost always leave lens hoods on all my lenses, even when shooting indoors, where flare is not likely. I used to keep UV filters on all my lenses, but I've decided that the lens hood offers better protection for the lens, without the possibility of reduced image quality.
11-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woonona_butch Quote
The only damage to the camera was the MF woud not work only the auto focus.
what?! how can that be? does it happen with every lens?
doesn't really make sense
11-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

hood. There's not a good reason not to use one, IMHO.
11-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for your input everyone. I have already purchased a new bag (Lowepro Slingshot 200). Yes "PABLOM" it happens with every lens!!
My first thread on this (or any forum) and I've got more info than what I have gotten in 12 months of belonging to a camera club. I'd given up taken the K100 out at night because of the yellow tinge produced on my images - never thought of removing the filter!!!. Just following on with the question of hoods - I've just purchased a second hand Pentax FA 50mm 1:1.4 off EBay, should I acquire a hood for this lens also??