Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Advice

Hello all,
In a two weeks’ time I’ll get my K7 + 18-55 mm kit lens + D-BG4 Grip. So excited about that!!!

But…….Because I’m going to Europe for holidays (Edinburgh, London, Berlin and Prague), I need your advice about battery and memory cards:
·
  • Since I haven’t got a laptop and I figure out that uploading pictures from a hostel’s pc to any site every night will be an issue, I wondering if 3 Kingston SDHC of 8GB (http://www.adorama.com/KGSD108GB.html) would be enough to storage about 1000 pictures? (all my holidays pictures would be on those memory cards until I coming back home).
  • Are there any portable hard disk where to plug the memory card in and download starts automatically? I mean where any pc, laptop or netbook should be used.
  • Should I buy another D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery? Or Should I buy 6 Sony Cycle Energy AA Nickel Metal Hydride, 2500 mAh Rechargeable Batteries?
Many thanks for your help
Cheers

11-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photo Safe or Picture Porter

QuoteQuote:
An essential digital camera companion – a portable photo storage device
Imagine being on vacation and you are snapping digital photos like crazy. Having Photo Safe II with you means having a place to save your precious photos so you can keep snapping away. Just insert the digital camera memory card into Photo Safe II and directly download images - no cumbersome cabling or computer needed. Never worry about running out of memory card space again. Photo Safe II frees up expensive memory card space and lets you reuse your card to keep shooting. When you get home, simply connect Photo Safe II to your computer to retrieve your saved pictures.
Picture Porter lets you view the files as well as storing them.

QuoteQuote:
Portable Digital Photo Album & Entertainment Center
While viewing photos on Picture Porter 35's large 3.5" LCD screen, you can rotate, zoom, pan, view EXIF information and histogram, and play picture slideshows of your images (including RAW image content). You can also connect Picture Porter 35 to a TV and share your photos and music with family and friends on a big screen in the comfort of your living room. Picture Porter 35 also supports various music and video formats so you can keep your collection of media content in one place for easy access and enjoy them anywhere you go.
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Probably have enough card space even for RAW. If you shoot JPG you definately have enough room.
Get the extra D-LI90, you won't regret it.
11-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
boriscleto, thank you for the info. Thouse diveces looks exactly what I was thinking about. I'll just chose one for my trip!

Thanks again

11-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Photo Safe or Picture Porter

Picture Porter lets you view the files as well as storing them.
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
Probably have enough card space even for RAW. If you shoot JPG you definately have enough room.
Get the extra D-LI90, you won't regret it.

AOShep I forgot to write that I'm planning to shoot in RAW+JPG.
Get the extra D-LI90 was my first idea also, just because the 6 AA battery’s weight.

Thank you very much for your help
11-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ogion Quote
Get the extra D-LI90 was my first idea also, just because the 6 AA battery’s weight.

Take the AA holder with you just in case. No extra weight until you load it with batteries. I've Yet to actually need mine, and I fill an 8Gb card (RAW+JPG) 2 or 3 times between recharging of 2 D-LI90s (and I always have a spare one of those with me). I'd suggest buying 2 extra batteries rather than just one. I've been using $10 ebay 1800mAh batteries for a year. But take the AA holder because you just know, you'll regret it if you don't ...

Enjoy your trip and show us what you can do when you get back..

11-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

There is no reason to use extra card space by shooting RAW + jpg. You can easily "extract a jpg" for the embedded jpgs in the PEF files using the supplied Pentax software (one of the good things it does). It might take as many as 60 seconds for a full card - probably less. Converting takes a bit more time, but can be done in a batch, unattended after a few clicks.

The money spent on one of those storage devices buys a couple more cards, that battery, and a remote :-)

However, I take a netbook during travels, loaded with FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... just for viewing and backing up.

11-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There is no reason to use extra card space by shooting RAW + jpg. You can easily "extract a jpg" for the embedded jpgs in the PEF files using the supplied Pentax software (one of the good things it does). It might take as many as 60 seconds for a full card - probably less. Converting takes a bit more time, but can be done in a batch, unattended after a few clicks.

The money spent on one of those storage devices buys a couple more cards, that battery, and a remote :-)

However, I take a netbook during travels, loaded with FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... just for viewing and backing up.
Thanks for the suggestion about "extracting jpg", there are many things that I don't know yet, because I used to shot with a film camera and the K-7 will be my first dsrl.
I haven't either a netbook or notebook so why I wondering if another kind of storage device exist, but before to take a decision I've to save money . Buying the K7+Battery Grip+Card memory dry my pocket

Thank again for your help
11-09-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with SpecialK

A net book is about the same cost as the mini back up devices and much more useable.

As to extra cards, take the 3 you have, and consider picking up extras if needed on the way. Unless you have a low cost source of cards, the premium for picking them up on the street is minimal. I would use the netbook for back up but keep images on teh cards.

I would consider taking dual batteries. I don't see the grip as that much of a benefit, but dual batteries definitely are.

The grip could be a benefit if you run out of batteries, but I found it harad to burn down the K7 battery in a day of shooting, and you can recharge overnight.
11-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

A net book is about the same cost as the mini back up devices and much more useable.

As to extra cards, take the 3 you have, and consider picking up extras if needed on the way. Unless you have a low cost source of cards, the premium for picking them up on the street is minimal. I would use the netbook for back up but keep images on teh cards.

I would consider taking dual batteries. I don't see the grip as that much of a benefit, but dual batteries definitely are.

The grip could be a benefit if you run out of batteries, but I found it harad to burn down the K7 battery in a day of shooting, and you can recharge overnight.
Unfortunately, here in Buenos Aires (Argentina) a net book costs about USD 600, nowadays has become fashion to get one and price starts to rise.

I do climbing and mountaineering, and I decided to get a grip (an original one) in order to prevent changing batteries within dust and wet environment.
Sorry, but what do you mean for dual battery? D-LI90 + AA (please take into account that English is not my original tongue)

Thank you for your advice
11-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Inactive Account

The grip could be a benefit if you run out of batteries, but I found it harad to burn down the K7 battery in a day of shooting, and you can recharge overnight
Your second statement is correct. The grip is a Huge benefit. Both for power and for function. Set the camera to use the Grip battery first and just refresh that one overnight. You'll have power to spare every time.

Unfortunately, here in Buenos Aires (Argentina) a net book costs about USD 600, nowadays has become fashion to get one and price starts to rise.

I do climbing and mountaineering, and I decided to get a grip (an original one) in order to prevent changing batteries within dust and wet environment.
Sorry, but what do you mean for dual battery? D-LI90 + AA (please take into account that English is not my original tongue)

Thank you for your advice
Dual battery could be either 2x D-LI90 or 1x D-LI90 and the AA option. For your hiking where every ounce counts, stick with the 2x D-LI90 but have the AA tray available for an emergency case (of course you'll need to find 6x AA batteries to fill it).

11-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Your second statement is correct. The grip is a Huge benefit. Both for power and for function. Set the camera to use the Grip battery first and just refresh that one overnight. You'll have power to spare every time.

Dual battery could be either 2x D-LI90 or 1x D-LI90 and the AA option. For your hiking where every ounce counts, stick with the 2x D-LI90 but have the AA tray available for an emergency case (of course you'll need to find 6x AA batteries to fill it).

JeffJS, Lowell Goudge

I'll get 2x D-LI90 right now for my next holidays and I would keep in mind the AA option for the next time I go to the field.
I think that AA batteries isn't an option for my next trip just because I won’t to carry two different chargers + a lot of batteries, I'll try to keep my stuff as simple as possible

I'll post pictures when I come back, but I guess it should be done in another part of these forum, right?

Many thanks
11-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JeffJS, Lowell Goudge

I'll get 2x D-LI90 right now for my next holidays and I would keep in mind the AA option for the next time I go to the field.
I think that AA batteries isn't an option for my next trip just because I won’t to carry two different chargers + a lot of batteries, I'll try to keep my stuff as simple as possible

I'll post pictures when I come back, but I guess it should be done in another part of these forum, right?

Many thanks
have fun on your trip. Too bad about the netbook, I got both my kids netbooks last year for $325 each (canadian, but close enought to USD presently)

How ever you take it dual batteries is a good idea. I like specialK's idea about starting with the one in the grip first, as that is the easiest to change, without taking the grip off.

The idea of taking the AA carrier is also a good one, but this would be for emergency use only. You are right, the number of chargers you end up taking is a real pain.
11-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Inactive Account

have fun on your trip. Too bad about the netbook, I got both my kids netbooks last year for $325 each (canadian, but close enought to USD presently)

How ever you take it dual batteries is a good idea. I like specialK's idea about starting with the one in the grip first, as that is the easiest to change, without taking the grip off.

The idea of taking the AA carrier is also a good one, but this would be for emergency use only. You are right, the number of chargers you end up taking is a real pain.
I don't want to nitpick but I'm looking for where SpecialK says to start with the battery in the grip (set the camera to use it first). I know I did, in post #11.

11-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I'm looking for where SpecialK says to start with the battery in the grip...
Me, too:-) I have a grip and set the camera use the battery with the most charge...