Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Manual lenses and Focal length prompt question.

Ok I am new to digital DSLR's and am using on my K-X some M42 screw mount lenses that my father gave me. I have a Yashinon Tomioka 60MM macro lens. Being there is no 60MM focal length setting should I set it to 55MM or 65MM focal length? Or does it not make a large difference?

Thanks

Al

11-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either one. It isn't going to make a lot of difference. I use 65 for my Voigtlander 58mm (just so I can decipher between what is what when I sort by focal length). Works fine.

60mm Tomioka? You decide you want to unload it, drop me a line.

11-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response.

The pictures I have taken with the lens so far are very sharp even wide open and hand held. I am still playing with it as I am not much of a photographer but eager to learn. The lens was like brand new not a scratch on it. I was with my dad the day he purchased it at a base exchange. I was 5 years old. It was purchased in 1972 His equipment was always lovingly taken care of. I am very lucky

I am really enjoying playing with the manual lenses.

Al
11-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_T Quote
Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response.

The pictures I have taken with the lens so far are very sharp even wide open and hand held. I am still playing with it as I am not much of a photographer but eager to learn. The lens was like brand new not a scratch on it. I was with my dad the day he purchased it at a base exchange. I was 5 years old. It was purchased in 1972 His equipment was always lovingly taken care of. I am very lucky

I am really enjoying playing with the manual lenses.

Al
Congratulations, free lenses are the most fun IMHO.

11-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
So far as theory is concerned, there's little difference between equal + or - errors in focal length. I think this is found in practice too.

Dave
11-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Typically with a macro lens your camera will be on a tripod, in which case SR should be off, anyway.
11-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Typically with a macro lens your camera will be on a tripod, in which case SR should be off, anyway.
I shoot hand held macros all the time. In addition the OP can use the 60mm lens for "normal" photography.

NaCl( the only thing 'normal' in my house is the button on the washing machine)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 11-09-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling
11-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I don't think I've Ever used a tripod for macros. Usually the subject is moving so much a tripod would be absolutely useless.

11-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I don't think I've Ever used a tripod for macros. Usually the subject is moving so much a tripod would be absolutely useless.

Well, it all depends on the subject of the shot. I do macros of watches, the movement moves but the overall object of the shot is static. The tripod makes it all easier and allows slower shutter speeds.
11-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Well, it all depends on the subject of the shot. I do macros of watches, the movement moves but the overall object of the shot is static. The tripod makes it all easier and allows slower shutter speeds.
I'm sure you know what I meant by 'subject is moving'.

11-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm sure you know what I meant by 'subject is moving'.

Well, everyone around here seems so precise I thought I ought to point that one out
11-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm the same as you, Jeff. I shoot bugs with my macro, not studio table top setups, so I am chasing them all over. Hand held with my M 100/4 macro using Catch-in-focus.
11-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Well, everyone around here seems so precise I thought I ought to point that one out
I'm just busting chops ... also noting that macro doesn't make a tripod necessary. I'll bet if your watch were on a walking person, the tripod won't work out so well .

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm the same as you, Jeff. I shoot bugs with my macro, not studio table top setups, so I am chasing them all over. Hand held with my M 100/4 macro using Catch-in-focus.
I just learned to use CIF my last outing with a manual focus Macro (actually closeup) type lens.

See the flower photos..

Even with a still subject, I find it easier to get what I want, hand held. That is unless, as noted, I'm going for a long exposure.

Of course, a nice Pentax Ring flash doesn't hurt the effort ..

11-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm just busting chops ... also noting that macro doesn't make a tripod necessary. I'll bet if your watch were on a walking person, the tripod won't work out so well .

I just learned to use CIF my last outing with a manual focus Macro (actually closeup) type lens.

See the flower photos..

Even with a still subject, I find it easier to get what I want, hand held. That is unless, as noted, I'm going for a long exposure.

Of course, a nice Pentax Ring flash doesn't hurt the effort ..

Why would I take macros of watches on walking people

I'd love to try out a ring flash for macro work.
11-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Why would I take macros of watches on walking people

I'd love to try out a ring flash for macro work.
For the challenge of course... I for one would be Very impressed..