Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie question

Hi guys!

Yesterday I got myself a brand new Pentax K-x camera.
After reading the manual, i realize that I still have much to learn.
I already have taken a few shots to test the camera and I must say that the results are very good so far. But here's my question: after running through the different menu's, I can't find the right setting to take black and white pictures.
Please help!
Thx!!

Willfried

11-09-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There will be filter settings that you can apply to your photos in the post-processing part of the menus - but I don't have it in front of me to let you know where it is.

But you have a manual in front of you - look up filter effects and you'll see B&W come under that topic.
11-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Yes, you can use the Digital Filter effects to shoot your images in black and white.
11-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a note that digital filters only work with jpgs, not RAW files.

11-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

Actually, that's not quite the right place to find the B&W setting. It's in the color settings, not the digital filters.

When you are ready to shoot a picture, push the Info button (twice). The top left icon is for setting the color settings - navigate to this using the < and > keys. Once it's highlighted, just use the control wheel to cycle through the color settings to BW.

The camera will remember the color setting between power up/down cycles. The default color setting is "Bright".

You can also convert color images to B&W in almost any photo editor program.
11-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Not to argue and I am basing this on the K-x's bloodline, the K-7, but Monochrome setting is the Digital Filter that is but one feature that can be saved in the Memory.
While it is true that many photo editing software programs can have tools to easily make many edits to images and arguably with better results, I believe the digital editing tools of cameras like the K-x, K-7 and others probably help introduce quick and basic edits and offer a bridge to packaged software. And in camera is fun and quirky. Digital is about instant gratification for many.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 11-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.
11-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #7

Ok, here is the correct way to do it on k-x:

- Make sure the camera is not in automatic or scene mode, b/w conversion is not available in these modes. For example put the camera in P (program) mode.
- Press the info button once to enter the info/shooting settings menu. (twice will turn off screen)
- The top left icon is for color settings. select it and enter with Ok.
- With left right buttons scroll to BW monochrome mode.

Note that the standard black and white conversion will give you quite bland pictures, because different colors can be converted to the same type of grey. By using the differrent color filters in this menu (press down to scroll to these options) you can spice it up a bit.
Try red filter for people or infrared for dramatic landscapes. Also try different contract settings, also in this menu.
You can your the +- Check button to preview your filter settings.
11-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another way of activating B&W : MENU / Custom Image / BW. (default = "Bright"), works for both RAW and JPEG.

Also, RAW images can be converted to JPEG in the camera. To access this, press the down arrow when viewing a RAW, then choose "RAW Development", there the top item controls the same choice as the above menu item. Also, the "Monochrome" digital filter is available in here, and can be applied to both JPEGs and RAWs after the fact.

11-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

That sounds reasonable.
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, does the K-x not have Monochrome in it's digital filters?

Also one other point. Many of these in camera Digital Filters can be applied in various combinations with one another after the image was captured as well. You can either choose to capture an image in black and white or capture an image in color and then create another image in black and white using the Digital Filters.
11-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #10

Nope. It does have colour extraction, but that will leave one colour in. :-)
11-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok guys, I got it now, thx for your help!
12-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #12

OK people I guess I'm stupid today but how do I get a B/W or monochrome picture my K5? with out using filters.? My friends Canon just push the monochrome button and bingo there is a B/W picture ,with out going through all the BS to get B/W picture.
12-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

On the K-7, press the righthand button on the 4 way controller. Then press the lefthand button (WB) a few times until BW is selected, and OK. Exact number of buttons you press depend on where your image tone setting is normally.
12-31-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You can get the camera to produce B&W, but you get a much bigger choice of conversions and hence better conversions if you use the PC. This URL shows you some of the range that's available. The examples are done using Photoshop but you can do all of them using PaintShopPro - unfortunately Elements doesn't have a built-in channel mixer so far as I am aware. I did try using a free add-on but it really didn't cut the mustard. Elements will convert to B&W but doesn't have the degree of control you get with Photoshop and PaintShopPro. I suspect Gimp offers a channel mixer as well, I have no idea about Mac software and stuff like Picasa.

Creating digital Black and White pictures from colour