Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Choosing the K-r or K7

I am looking at making the jump into the DSLR world from the SLR world. I just pulled out my ZX-10 after being in mothballs for a few years now and i am interested in getting back to photography.
Besides liking Pentax as a brand, I also have a few lenses and flash from my old 35mm that will transfer directly to the new camera. I have performed the side-by-side comparisons online at the usual sites but I have not seen any discussion comparing the k7 and new k-r. Is it worth it to spend the extra $ for an older camera? I understand the sensor is now improved and the k-r has a broader iso range and more fps. What will I be getting besides a nicer body with the k7? Is the k7 going the way of the dodo b/c of the k5?
Any input would be very-much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

11-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a direct, specs only comparison:

Pentax K-5, Pentax K-r & Pentax K-x - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Unless you need the weather sealing or extra control wheel (both of which are nice), I'd say go for the K-r simply because it's got the newer sensor. And yes, the K-7 has pretty much been pushed aside by the K-5, but that's not to say it's any worse of a camera.
11-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just a note on the flash; make sure that the trigger voltage is not too high as it might fry your new baby. Search for 'trigger voltage' and the 'make/type' of you flash on the internet.
11-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So after looking at the comparisons between the k-x, k5 and k-r and looking at the price points it appears as though the k-x could be replaced with the k-r? It also seems as though the k-r is more like the k-x than the k7? (I read somewhere that the k-r is the k-x on steroids) But yet there are also improvements to the k-r over the k7? When making a purchase like this I usually look at what suits my needs now then purchase the next model up allowing room for growth but would I be taking a step back or forward with purchasing the k7 instead of the k-r?

(Shooting my childrens sporting events like hockey (indoors) and Soccer and
landscapes)

Mark

Last edited by markt; 11-09-2010 at 09:09 AM.
11-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Markt,
Based upon past marketing strategies, Pentax is very likely to offer the K-x, K-r, K-7 and K-5 for sometimes.

- The K-7 and K-5 are WR. If you intend to shoot outdoor in the rain, that would be an advantage.

- The K7 is an excellent camera and its weakness is low-light conditions. If you shoot outdoor, the K-7 would do great.

- How often do you intend to use your camera? A lot: I would then consider the K-7 or K-5 that are semi-pro bodies. Not too much, I would consider the K-x or K-r that are entry level.

- Your camera will be as good as your lens. "Good glass is worth every pennny". Consider which lens is best for your usage. It is worth to consider the lens(es) now before you invest in the body, and to order at once the basic setup that you need really.

Ultimately I would strongly recommend that you try the camera bodies in your local store, possibly with the lens that you intend to buy. You want to feel good with the camera in your hand. The K-x and K-r bodies are very similar, very close and well suited to small hands. The K-7 and K-5 have the same bodies and it is really a great body with va ery nice hand grip. I tested both the K-x and K-7 and I prefer the grip of the K-7. Everyone is different and your own feel is the most important in relation to your decision.

Hope that the comments will help...

Last edited by hcc; 11-11-2010 at 02:12 AM.
11-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice.
Can you define low light conditions?
I have the old FTZ500 flash and when I brought to the local camera shop and the saleman attached it to both the k-rand k7. It appeared to work and sync with the camera fine. Although he did not run through an exhaustive verification. I have read on this forum that there are definite issues.
I would like to think i would be using this camera on a regular basis taking it with me wherever i go.
As far as lenses, I have a SMC FA 100-300 lens. (along with a few manual lenses) When the salesman attached the 100-300 to the k7 body, it worked fine. He said that it will acually shoot as a longer lens on the DSLR's than on my ZX-10? Does this sound accurate?

The saleman originally showed me the k-x and I was very impressed with the functions and the feel in my hands. But then he broke out the k7 and -WOW- what a difference. A little bigger grip and a 'solid' feel to it. I told him he shouldnt have showed that to me cause thats the one I want now. He did not tell me that the k-r or the k5 that was being released.
Now i am doing more research and it seems that the k-r has things that are improved over the k7 but i love the feel of the k7 body.

Is the K7 old technology now? I have read some threads here that do not paint the k7 in the best light. Is it 'the grass is always greener..' or 'things can always be improved..' mindset?

Thanks for any additional feedback.

Mark
11-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
bfo

The K-7 is a very capable camera. The K-5 is the same body and features as the K-7, but with improved sensor (better high ISO, better DR etc) and AF. The K-5 is also ~ twice the price of the K-7.
The K-x vs. the new K-r is much of the same.
The K-x/K-r vs K-7: K-x/r better sensor, but not as good as K-5. ~ same AF-performance. Less features and contol possibilities on the K-x/r. K-7 has much better build quality (and ergonomics), and is weather sealed.
K-7/K-x was intoduced last year, and are "old". But rest assured, they have not become worse cameras because a new generation has been introduced. A lot of great photos are still beeing shot with cameras far older than the K7/x...

11-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me the big consideration for getting the K7 over the Kx was having two separate adjustments for the Shutter and aperture. You pay extra for this convenience, but to me it was a necessity. If you are going to shoot in manual alot, consider the body with the two control wheels, the K7 and K5!

Also the latest version of the K7 offers a neat level indicator feature. Is this offered in the Kx or Kr (I assume it is in the K5).

Regards,
11-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Mark, look at your price points:

The K5 price is through the roof.

The K7 is cheaper, but doesn't hold a candle to the K-x, K-r or K-5 as far as high ISO shooting goes. (Indoor, dark, no flash.)'

The K5 and K7 are weather-resistant and can handle getting soaked. The K-x and K-r can get wet to a high degree though, and in fact, aside from dropping a camera in the lake, there hasn't been one post from a K-x user who suffered damage due to moisture.

The K-r offers an incredibly improved LCD, unimportant to some but not to me. Improved auto-focus. And other bells and whistles that make it my choice over the K-x, although I haven't shot with the K-r.

And with the K-x at only $500 in a kit, and the K-r $700 plus, I think it's worth the extra $200. Look at the K-7 and K-5 prices and look at the leaps in cost--for cameras that won't deliver any better pictures.
11-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should just go for the K5 if finances allow, kids and hockey are fast, demanding high shutter speeds.
K5 sounds like the ticket, you already handled the K7 and liked it so a lesser body will most likely not make you happy.
11-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markt Quote
Can you define low light conditions?

Is the K7 old technology now? I have read some threads here that do not paint the k7 in the best light. Is it 'the grass is always greener..' or 'things can always be improved..' mindset?
Mark,

I shoot outdoor at dusk, sunset, sunrise and even moon light. That is what I define at low light conditions. In these conditons, I am extremely happy with the K-7. There is a on-going parellel discussion on K-7 and High ISO Noise that you may read:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/121531-k7-high-iso-noise.html

I am not alone to be very happy with the K-7...

On the other hand, you are correct that the K-7 is one year old. Yet its WR, its body and many of its functions were re-used "as is" in the newest K-5. That does say a lot in my opinion...

At the end, follow your own intincts and feeling. If the K-7 feels right in your hand, go for it. In any case you will NOT be disappointed by either the K-x, K-r or K-7.