Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have ?? about turning my camera into an infrared camera

So i have heard that you can turn a k100d in to an inferred camera. so how do you do so, and after you do this can it be changed back to a normal photo camera? cause if it can not then i just wont even try thanks larry

11-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have inferred from your question you mean infrared :-)

I'm pretty sure it requires a modification. There is a member who had done it but I can't remember his name :-(
11-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that's cool i thought you could just change the firm wear and it would work but i found out that it will not work that way but you can get a filter for the same efect
11-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There are 2 ways to shoot infrared with most digital SLRs...

1. Use an Infrared Filter which basically blocks all visible light and only allows the heat frequencies to reach the sensor. This method requires long long exposures to get a properly exposed image.

2. Have the camera modified by removing and replacing the low-pass filter that is mounted over the camera's sensor. This requires disassembly of the camera and sometimes a certain amount of electrical surgery. It is technically something you can do yourself, but I would not recommend it. Best to send it off for professional service (has it's own risks... see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/119715-spencers-camer...-my-k200d.html)

Search "infrared" here on the forum for more threads dealing with the conversion.

Mike
PF Moderation Team

p.s I corrected the spelling of "infrared" in your thread title

11-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
There are 2 ways to shoot infrared with most digital SLRs...

1. Use an Infrared Filter which basically blocks all visible light and only allows the heat frequencies to reach the sensor. This method requires long long exposures to get a properly exposed image.

When you say "long long exposures" are we talking Minutes or Hours?

Cheers...
11-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Here's a short explanation that uses a Canon as an example. It does explain the camera mods and also some of the changes you have to make to focus correctly.

Infrared with a DSLR

Here's another link with more details:

http://irbuzz.blogspot.com/2007/03/ir-for-beginners-my-dslr-is-not-modded.html

Last edited by DonP; 11-15-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: To add another reference to my original post.
11-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #7

does IR camera also detects laser?

if yes, how can you make the camera detects just infrared?
11-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
When you say "long long exposures" are we talking Minutes or Hours?
We're talking seconds here, not minutes or hours; how long depends on the camera. With my *istDL, it usually takes around a second (assuming f5.6 to f8 and bright sun). With my K200D, it takes much longer: as much as 30sec. The K200D produces better results (assuming you don't have problems with the wind). My sister's converted Nikon, however, produces even better results than the K200D with IR filter on lens.

11-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
... can it be changed back to a normal photo camera? cause if it can not then i just wont even try thanks larry
Yes, but it doesn't mean that you should do it yourself: Look here for some photos on the mod.

http://www.lifepixel.com/ir-tutorials/nikon-d70-digital-infrared-conversion-instructions.htm
12-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Infrared (IR) is an area of the EMF spectrum with wavelengths longer than visible light. Some IR-pass filters, like around 680-720nm, also pass some visible light; these need mere seconds for daylight exposures on an unmodified camera. Some IR-pass filters block ALL visible light, and exposures may last many many minutes on unmodified cameras.

All digital sensors are sensitive to IR, and nearly all digital cams have an IR-block 'hot.filter' in front of the sensor. Old Sony 'NightShot' P&S and video cameras had a switch to flick that hot.filter out of the way. Sigma and Fuji made (and maybe still make) 'forensic' dSLRs with removable hot.filters. But for most dSLRs to do IR well, their hot.filters must be removed.

The typical dSLR-IR conversion removes the hot.filter and replaces it with an IR-pass filter in the 680-720nm range. But then the camera is only good for IR work. I'd recommend a conversion where the hot.filter is replaced with clear optical glass. Then, for non-IR work, you need merely add an IR-block filter to the lens. NOTE: a hot.filter can't just simply be removed -- it needs replacement with something of equal thickness to maintain the focus point.

I've used IR-pass filters on my unmodified K20D. I own an old 5mpx Minolta 300F that's been modded with a 680nm filter replacing the hot.filter. But I prefer to use my old 5mpx Sony Nightshot DSC-V1. I can mount a deep-IR filter like 930nm or 1000nm for handheld daylight shots, with the image clearly visible on the LED screen. Your K100D modded with clear optical glass would give similar (but better) results.
12-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is pretty easy to modify P&S cameras for Infra-red photography. Simply open the camera and remove the glass "hot mirror" in front of the sensor then put an IR filter in the optical path (I put one in front of the lens).

It need not be replaced with an equal thickness glass (at least in the case of the Fuji F20) because focusing works with or without the filter in place. This is not the case for a DSLR.

Dave
12-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
Alj

Photos: Gallery
Infrared with K20D

I have just started yesterday, playing with infrared on my K20D. I have found that a 72 IF filter produces results fairly easily and that I need somewhere between 20 & 30 secs. I am still working out a workable procedure but currently- pre focus before fitting filter, set at approx f5.6, use a tripod and remote, ISO 100(still experimenting), and Bulb for around 30 secs in bright sunlight. I am an inexperienced amateur but have already gotten some pleasing results, certainly enough to encourage me to continue. My 92 & 85 IR filters have been retired. The image produced requires some tweaking and this I do in Elements 8.

Last edited by Alj; 12-06-2010 at 04:55 PM.