Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
anouther ? about a lens i have

well i have a auto sears 200mm f:3.5 m42 lens and i wanted to know if it is a good lens i have used it a # of times and it seemes allright but i really dont know much about it, so if someone could point me in the right direction i would be greatfull... thank you

11-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

If you've been using it and it gives you good results, then it's clearly a good lens.

Not sure what you're asking for, but it's a pretty decent telephoto lens and quite fast too.
Just go out and enjoy it.
11-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i was asking cause i heard that sears had a bunch of lens made by a different company and stamped their logo on it and marketed it as theirs i was woundering abou the true company the manufactured the lens?
11-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and anouther thing is that does it make a difference what addapter i use for the m42 threads cause while looking one says they will foucus to infinity and others say they wont

11-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
i was asking cause i heard that sears had a bunch of lens made by a different company and stamped their logo on it and marketed it as theirs i was woundering abou the true company the manufactured the lens?
If you have a snap of it, someone might recognize it. Some Sears lenses were made by Ricoh, and pretty nice glass. Odds are that that one's pretty nice by today's standards, save perhaps for a lack of high-tech lens coatings (A good deep lens hood can help make up for that, though. )

For infinity focus, you'll definitely do well to invest in the 'Genuine Pentax' adapter. It's much less hassle/doesn't need special keys. The difference is that the kind that do not allow infinity focus have a flange that goes between the mount and the lens: the kind that do, just sit inside the camera's lens mount and don't have that flange. The genuine Pentax kind has a better latch to allow it to do this, basically.

Ash is right, though, if you have the lens in hand, you can explore for yourself how nice it is. (If you have doubts if it's you or the lens, just use solid camera support, and try different apertures, etc. I'll lay odds that's a pretty nice lens, though, at least if it's in good order. )
11-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you and where can i get a genuine pentax adapter another thing is how do i insert an image into these conversations it wants a url?
11-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
and anouther thing is that does it make a difference what addapter i use for the m42 threads cause while looking one says they will foucus to infinity and others say they wont
Get the adapter that'll focus to infinity - you won't regret it. I have a 200mm that I consider junk without the right adapter. The right adapter isn't as convenient as the ones that won't focus to infinity, but the results are well worth it.

As far as the lens itself, Ratmagiclady is right. If the lens gives you good shots, then it's a good lens. Sears did a lot of outsourcing (everything I believe) of it's lenses. Search the web and you should find some ways to identify them. HOwever, don't be surprised if it takes some time and you may never have a 100% answer. I've had some Sears lenses and found the quality highly variable. The good ones are well worth keeping though!
11-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here let me try this

11-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
didnt work its cool
11-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As to the M42 adaptor, I agree it's best to get the genuine Pentax version. I got mine on ebay and sometimes one shows up here in the Marketplace. You might also try KEH.
11-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here is the 200mm lens

Last edited by lguckert79; 12-06-2010 at 07:05 AM.
11-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
Sears did a lot of outsourcing (everything I believe) of it's lenses.
Everything they sold, I believe.

From shotguns made by Winchester to Outboard motors made by Eska (and others) to kitchen appliances by Whirlpool. Even today, lawn equipment made by MTD and others.

If I recall correctly, the manufacturer of a Sears branded item can be identified by the prefix of the Sears model number. This seems like a comprehensive list.