Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #1

Asahi Pentax auto 110 system

I Have an Asahi Pentax auto 110 system camera set in a steelcase im trying to sell but i dont know how much it is worth.

It was my fathers but he passed away and im just cleaning out some of his stuff. the instruction booklet is in french.

if i sold it online how much could i get for it ?

11-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, I would be very careful before you settle on a price. I would check in other places as well, dealers, 2nd hand sellers, etc, because it is so easy to be mislead.
Even have a look on ebay and follow how auctions go there, for an indication.
Be aware of the value of those lenses and attachments as well.
11-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
To be honest, I would be very careful before you settle on a price. I would check in other places as well, dealers, 2nd hand sellers, etc, because it is so easy to be mislead.
Even have a look on ebay and follow how auctions go there, for an indication.
Be aware of the value of those lenses and attachments as well.
I tried Houston camera exchange and afew other places and they wont take it.

I looked online on ebay but i see so many different prices for it. one guy has a different set in a plastic case for like $250. someone has just the camera for like 10 bucks starting bid but i dont see anyone that has the steel case edition like mine with all the extra accessories and lens.
11-10-2010, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

I think the Marketplace here might be the most likely place to find a buyer.
I am in Australia, so I wont be interested. So my advice is, perhaps, hold on for 24hours or so, and see what responses you get here for your question
If I were you, you could give some details of what the lenses are, details will be printed on them, that will help give an accurate total value.

Be careful of Private Messages before you list it on the Forums Marketplace, because somebody might try to pick it up for a song.

Hope I have been of some assistance

11-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #5

The Auto 110 was the first camera I ever owned. I only had maybe half of what you have there. Brings up a lot of nice memories just looking at it, and it's sentimental value is very high.

That said, even with the sentimental attachment I have it wouldn't be something I'd buy as film isn't available - it's value is as a collectible only imo. And I'm not a collector in any way; I like things to be usable. So despite how damn cool it is, that collection has no value to me. However, I would think there has to be some collector out there just waiting for something like what you have to turn up.

Be patient, take your time researching it, and I'd think you'd get some decent coin for it eventually. Good luck!
11-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Go to eBay and scan for completed auctions. I watch for good deals on Auto 110 systems, and this seems to be an item that gets overvalued a lot. I've seen people asking $200 or more for just the camera. They don't get it.

eBay keeps completed auctions around for 90 days and you can search them. Just go to "Advanced Search". I would use "Pentax Auto 110" as the keywords. Select the option to search completed auctions. For some reason, they won't let you search completed auctions and use the "Search title and description" option at the same time.

In any event, completed auctions are the only way to tell what something will actually sell for on eBay. People have strangely inflated ideas about the value of the cameras they sell.

Does the motor drive work? They seemed to have had a design flaw that caused the battery door to break off easily. Many of the motor drives sold on eBay seem to have this problem.

Just a wild guess, but I would estimate that a complete set like yours, in excellent condition would bring between $200-300. 110 film can still be found online, but it has pretty much disappeared from any kind of retail store. I believe that the Frugal Photographer still has it and will process it.

Its a neat little camera. It is still so fondly remembered that Pentax styled the A-10 digital P & S after it. I have seen many threads in which people asked for a dslr like the Auto 110.
11-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NbyNW Quote
The Auto 110 was the first camera I ever owned. I only had maybe half of what you have there. Brings up a lot of nice memories just looking at it...
It wasn't my first camera but was my first SLR. I not only have nice memories but some nice photos: I shot over 100 rolls with it on our trip to China in '84.
11-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

you know, with a little imagination you could probably put a P&S sensor integrated into a new back, and have a mini SLR

11-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NbyNW Quote
it's value is as a collectible only imo.
I don't agree
the lenses are a perfect MF match for m4/3 system with an adapter and many people use em

if you intend to sell it, I suggest you to find a m4/3 board and inquire there
11-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

$200-$250 would be a fair price for what you have there. I got the same without the 2 bigger lenses for $160. Try listing it in the Marketplace!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chomper Quote
I tried Houston camera exchange and afew other places and they wont take it.
Good that they didn't take it. They would have only given you a fraction of what it was worth and told you it wasn't worth anything. The next day, it would be up for sale for 5 times more than you sold it for.

I would also avoid any pawn shops. As said above, this is something a collector would pay top dollar for. Even if you have to hang onto it for a while to find the right buyer, it may be worth it.

You could always list it on eBay with a BUY IT NOW price of $1000.00 OR BEST OFFER, and see what gets offered to you.