Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Ergonomics How Important? - Keep K20D (As New) or Sell & Get K-5 or KR

Hello esteemed forum members,

Got a bit of a dilemma.

I have a K20D + DBG-2 Grip - 420 shutter actuations (280 from factory), with extended warranty (2 extra years - Australia).

I was wondering whether to sell the K20D while it is still worth some money and get the K-5, or keep the K20D as my weather proof, low ISO camera and cover my high ISO, grab and go, and video options by getting a K-R?

The main reason I have the dilemma is that I own 2 MZ-S's and I find the ergonomics absolutely heavenly. I find the K20D good to use but a little bulky.

K20D - 141.5(W) x 101(H) x 70(D)mm
MZ-S - 136.5 (W) mm x 95.0(H) mm x 64.0(D) mm
K-R - 125mm(w) x 97mm(H) x 68mm(L)
K-5 - 131mm (W) x 97mm (H) x 73mm

At this stage I don't want to shell out $1500 for a K-5, so hence the K20D + K-R option.

I would also be interested to hear comments from forum members that use a 2 pentax DSLR solution and how it works for them, or if they are facing similar dilemmas.

Cheers .

Rod.

11-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've given every reason to trade in the K20D for a K-5.
Mate, unfortunately the K20D isn't going to be worth all that much - not even half that of a K-5 - but as you've indicated it's not fitting the bill for you as much as the K-5 would.

Ergonomics are important - some find it more important than others, and you've said it's quite important to you, so yeah, K-5 would be the way to go.

Nevertheless, the K-r is just as ergonomically favourable, since the body designs are very similar. Whichever way you go (K-5/K-r) you won't be disappointed - it just depends on what advanced features you'd be after - there may be some compromises there going from a K20D to a K-r (mid-range to entry-level dSLR).

If you really want 2 bodies, you could go with the K20D + K-r, but to save you even more dough, how about K20D + K-x (my recently acquired combination). The K-x does video well, though does have its limitations just like the K-r, K-7 and K-5, and ergonomics are much the same - K-x with an FA 43 is almost pocket-sized.

But to me, if one body's enough, the K-5 is the way to go for *everything*: low ISO, high ISO, video, ergonomics... you name it, it'll be better than the K20D (yep, even for low ISO).
11-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Given Me Food for Thought

Thanks for the detailed response Ash.

I think I'll have a clearout of the K20D, all film bodies (except MZ-S's!), surplus lenses (not FA limiteds!), accessories etc. Then I can buy the K-5 and be a minimalist with just a camera and a few Pentax primes.

Photography life might have just got a little bit simpler and lot more enjoyable
11-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simple and practical is best Rod.
Enjoy the K-5, you'll notice the difference - and coupled with FA limiteds, you'll never be short of quality in any respect.