Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #1

Slightly out of focus-K20D

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to this site as well as to photography. I have recently purchased a K-20D with Pentax 18-250mm lens. So far I have only been using the Auto mode (green on the dial) and am very disappointed with the photos. The color seems to be fairly accurate in the photos but they are just not crisp and clear. They almost appear slightly out of focus. When I push the button down halfway to focus the indicater in the screen is never flashing so it leads me to believe it is in focus, BUT IT"S NOT!!!
Would appreciate ANY help. If I cannot get it right in auto mode chances are I will sell the camera due to frustration level.

Thanks,

11-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your photos might be suffering form motion blur, as that lens has a fairly small aperture. You should post some sample photos, and we'll be able to tell what the cause is!

Make sure you leave EXIF information intact in your photos. If you attach them using the attachment system, that information will automatically be read by out system and displayed in your post

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could also be front/back focusing... I went thru 3 K20d's to get one that wasn't doing it.

Pat
11-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Set your auto focus to center.

11-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #5

Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I have attempted numerous time to load photos and am unable to do so. Error message stating invalid security token?? and then times out. I have refreshed and tried again to no avail.

Will start a new thread re: resources on understanding and using aperture and shutter properly. I am guessing part of the problem is my own

Cheers,
11-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #6

Original Poster

Hello,

Just thought I would try to load only 2 pic's to see if it worked. YEAH!
Thoughts please...

Carrie
11-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where are they Carrie?

11-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it set to MF?
11-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #9

Original Poster

Hi,

I am obviously doing something stupid!! After clicking manage attachments, I chose my pictures and pressed upload. It now says " the sum of all attachments owned by drako4 is 653.1 KB but when I submit my post they are not attached. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Feeling really silly right about now. The camera was not on MF for the photos.

Carrie
11-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #10

I know that "out of focus" can be caused by "front or back focus", but don't know what that is? Somebody help me out here with a succinct explaination>
11-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
drako4 Hi,

I am obviously doing something stupid!! After clicking manage attachments, I chose my pictures and pressed upload. It now says " the sum of all attachments owned by drako4 is 653.1 KB but when I submit my post they are not attached. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Feeling really silly right about now. The camera was not on MF for the photos.

Carrie
When you click on the Paperclip icon to insert file attachments, it allows you to browse your computer for the location of the file you wish to upload. When you have found the one you want to upload, you can double-left click on it and it will insert into the file window, with a readout of precisely where it is located on your PC. Now, all you have to do is click on "upload" and all should be good.

There is a limit to how much attachment space you can use here at the forum.
11-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good advice. I have the DA18-250mm and I would recommend a few tricks:

- Set Auto-focus to Center.

- Set AF-S.

- Enable Shake Reduction (SR On).

- After pressing half-way the shutter button, wait 1-2 s for the SR confirmation light. (Adam is right: your shots might appear blurry if the SR confirmation did not appear when you shoot.)

Hope that the comment will help....