Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Night shoot lens choice and settings

I am going to this event for a night shoot. I haven't got much experience doing night shoots so I am not sure what I should be bringing.

Parramatta Thai Water Festival

Loy Krathong | Discover Parramatta

I am thinking I will be bringing my K-x( not that I have another body) with tripod & Metz 48 flash. Any recommendation on what mode I should be using for night shoot?

DA 18-250 is not for night shoot, so I am thinking of a full prime setup. I have currently in my dry box DA15/DA35macro/FA43/F50 f1.7/newly acqired FA 77/DFA100 macro WR and still debating which ones to take with me... Thoughts?

I may end up taking them all along, but the thought of changing lens in the dark' cringe'

11-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We have no way to tell the lighting condition you will encounter. However, if that main picture is representative, you will be relying heavily on your flash. Read the manual for that and use the appropriate setting. It only takes a few seconds to review your shot and make needed changes.

I would start with the 50mm on the camera.
11-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I am going to this event for a night shoot.
I am thinking I will be bringing my K-x( not that I have another body) with tripod & Metz 48 flash. Any recommendation on what mode I should be using for night shoot?

DA 18-250 is not for night shoot, so I am thinking of a full prime setup. I have currently in my dry box DA15/DA35macro/FA43/F50 f1.7/newly acqired FA 77/DFA100 macro WR and still debating which ones to take with me... Thoughts?
Man, you have a goldmine of lenses to select from there.

Seriously, I would tote the 15 for sure, that gives the width to take in most, plus can always crop off unwanted and superfluous.

And if insisting on dragging the tripod along, then be sure to pack away the 100 too for low-light distance[ish] stuff. But remember it's OK to go for handheld too, esp if say, you brace yourself against something for lesser-lit nearer exposures.

Plus you might always face a close-up focusing need that it will fill well, conditions can get cramped at events.

As for flash, yeah I suppose that appendage could be clipped on too, for where desperate and able to swallow flat pics.
Lucky you have a K-x which can ISO stretch though, that's a bonus for your type of outing plan.

Above all, seek to be miminalist in cargo. Go to see and enjoy the show, have fun taking pix, and not having to be a muscle builder or security guard.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-11-2010 at 10:14 PM.
11-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have or have used all but one of these primes (the DA35 macro). When I had similar night situations I kept the FA77 on the K-x most of the time. Even the DA*50-135/2.8 wasn't fast enough when capturing motion. So, as good as the DFA 100/2.8 WR is, I think the FA77 will be better here - It's more than a stop faster, and it's good wide open. You may find yourself keeping it between f/1.8 and f/2.2 much of the time.

So I'd take them all, but the FA77 with the FA43 or F50/1.7 (both of which shoot nice IQ around f/2.2) should be there for sure. And the DA15 is great for when you're close, especially with significant unpredictable movement (like kids in a bounce house). Its generous DOF and wide angle mean you'll be able to take in all of the action, and it still gives its usual nice color, even with a flash. Plus, the DA15 fits in your pocket as well as any of them.

If you had an FA31 it would work well too, giving a usable f/1.8. But I've found the FA77 is more useful for this situation anyway. Just remember, noise is much easier to fix later than motion blur, so consider using ISO 3200 to 6400 when you need it.