Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Old Remote Shutter Releases and K10

Well, with all my stuff that I got with my old ME I got a thing that looks like a gun... On the front is has the good ol fashion push the stick and a stick pops out the other side, and a big red button...

My general plan was to buy a remote release and wire it into the big red button but I ran into some problems... The new remote releases have 3 wires, and the big red button has 2... I don't really want to take the time to take everything a part new button etc etc... But I did notice that the big red button, while having only 2 wires, accepted 2.5mm aux jack (same as the k10d).... Now these 2 wires aren't color coded, and the 3 wires in the new one are green, white, red.

Now my question... If I plug a 2.5mm to a 2.5mm from it to my camera will it work fine? I know the newer remote shutter releases have focus to take into account, but I do that all manually anyway... And I think those 3 wires are 1 for shutter, 1 for focus, and 1 for ground, but I'm just not 100% positive... I don't wanna short anything important out

11-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are several schematics online for these types of releases. I THINK, that the Tip of the plug is the release while the ring (the part the third wire is connected to) is the focus. So, assuming the plug doesn't short the two (even if it does), it may work fine.. But don't quote me as stating fact.

11-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There are several schematics online for these types of releases. I THINK, that the Tip of the plug is the release while the ring (the part the third wire is connected to) is the focus. So, assuming the plug doesn't short the two (even if it does), it may work fine.. But don't quote me as stating fact.

you are correct, the tip is the release the small ring is the focus/metering, and the last longer body of the pin is ground

Plugging a 2 wire remote into the camera will turn the metering / focus on on the camera. If you are focusing manually then set the switch to manual also to make sure the body does not try to move your focus position.