Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I also think the first book in Scott Kelby's series is a quick read and provides good tips. http://www.kelbytraining.com/product...aphy-book.html
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I can also recommend Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book." Is is actually a series of 3 books but the first one has a lot of good tips for beginners. He doesn't try to teach a bunch of theory but instead just sets up situations and tells you how to get good results in each case, as if you and he were out shooting together. Just "set your camera to A, B and C and fire away."
I'll also recommend Kelby's books, especially the first one. (The second and third tend to either repeat previous points or give info only for very specific situations.) They are great for tips, but not necessarily for explaining how your camera works. He also gives numerous recommendations for camera gear, but that can start to get rather expensive if you're not careful. Trust me.

11-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The Complete Photographer by Andreas Feininger was one of the seminal books in my learning process.
Its long out of print, but seems to be readily available.
The Complete Photographer by Andreas Feininger (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris
and cheap.
The 1978 revision would be the one to get.
Obviously, this is not a technical manual.
Which is as it should be.
11-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #18

learning digital photography resources...

1) there is a great Podcast - free..
PhotoTips - Photography Tips by BC Photo - Download free podcast episodes by BC Photo on iTunes.
also same tips can be found on youtube and facebook group - search for "phototips"
2) Adorama TV has some great tutorials....
Adorama TV from Adorama Learning Center

PS: Note that I have no affiliation with any of the above listed entities, being new to DSLRs the above resources have helped me a lot to understand basic concepts and also some great tips to take great pictures.

Last edited by newyorker; 11-22-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: no affiliation
11-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newyorker Quote
learning digital photography resources...

1) there is a great Podcast - free..
PhotoTips - Photography Tips by BC Photo - Download free podcast episodes by BC Photo on iTunes.
also same tips can be found on youtube and facebook group - search for "phototips"
2) Adorama TV has some great tutorials....
Adorama TV from Adorama Learning Center

PS: Note that I have no affiliation with any of the above listed entities, being new to DSLRs the above resources have helped me a lot to understand basic concepts and also some great tips to take great pictures.
+1 for the Adorama TV, good stuff, intelligently presented.

NaCl(this slightly-older-than-middle-aged brain had no trouble with their stuff)H2O

11-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm in the same boat, and I am reading Scott Kelby : The digital Photography Book Volume 1
Super easy read and laymens terms and there's some humor in it as well instead of the typical dry boring technical stuff.

I've learned a ton from it, and I have plenty to go lol