Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Light and compact daily use solution.

For occasional snapshots i always keep a P&S with me, but because of it's age it seriously lacks quality in more complex situations (low light, hight contrast, long exposures, fine focus).

I was thinking of throwing together a plastic film SLR (with small Lithium bat.) with something like industar 50-2, as a cheap solution.
It would offer enough manual control and much more quality over my P&S.

Most important requirement is price, then comes weight and size. I go by foot/bike and carry backpack daily. If i were using public transport or private car i'd be carrying my DSLR.

What weight i could achieve if i replaced NiMH's with disposable AA LiIons and got the new DA 35/2.4 (or some manual pancake/lightweight) for my k200d.

Maybe it would be wiser to upgrade my P&S (it's year 2005 - LX1)? But this would be too expensive (good f2.8, IS, manual, 28mm P&S costs more than DA35/2.4).

Any other ideas?

11-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Maybe it would be wiser to upgrade my P&S (it's year 2005 - LX1)? But this would be too expensive (good f2.8, IS, manual, 28mm P&S costs more than DA35/2.4).
I'd say go with the W90. Small, stylish, and water resistant. It will cost more than a 35/2.4, but with those features, it would be something that I'd carry everywhere.
11-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I went with the Panasonic ZS-5 and am very happy with it as a P&S. Cost was $206 shipped from Amazon.
DMC-ZS5/DMC-TZ8 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Digital Camera - Express Review - The Imaging Resource!

11-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I'd say go with the W90. Small, stylish, and water resistant. It will cost more than a 35/2.4, but with those features, it would be something that I'd carry everywhere.
Good advice. Actually waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof. Got mine for $239.

Attached Images

11-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For the price (starts at 320$ here in EU) it does not quite even match my requirements(only F3.5, no IS, no manual/priority modes, only 4s long exp., small sensor).

Also a new P&S is kind of a last resort. I'd *much* more prefer a lot cheaper solution, since the LX1 is plenty good in decent light:

Low light (minimum iso, quite big F number):

The noise in dark areas is too obvious and i think because of the age the sensor exhibits serious blooming making night shots unsharp and lacking contrast.

Last edited by ytterbium; 11-15-2010 at 01:55 PM.
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
For the price (starts at 320$ here in EU) it does not quite even match my requirements(only F3.5, no IS, no manual/priority modes, only 4s long exp., small sensor).

Also a new P&S is kind of a last resort. I'd *much* more prefer a lot cheaper solution, since the LX1 is plenty good in decent light:

Low light (minimum iso, quite big F number):

The noise in dark areas is too obvious and i think because of the age the sensor exhibits serious blooming making night shots unsharp and lacking contrast.
P&S cameras have their utility. Despite having "moved up" to a dSLR I still find the size and convenience of the P&S with 25mm to 300m equivalent and 80-6400iso plus 1/2000-60 shutter speeds with movie and sound in a 4.1 x 2.3 x 1.3 in. 7.3oz size to be unbeatable by even the cheapest older dSLR.

Perhaps the Lumix ZS-5 is not as robust as the W90 but its feature set make it a very versatile companion when carrying a dSLR is just not in the cards.
11-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

if you're not looking for water proof (like the W90), the super zoom might be something you want, and despite how pentax does in the DSLR world, their P&S is not so hot... besides the tiny canon (sd 780 ect...) that provides no manual what so ever, but canon still kills for P&S, people just eat them up.

Then you have the sony W200 or W300.

and the Panasonic LX lines

Also check out the fuji F series (older ones).

Alot of the ones I've recommened above is kindda expensive, but the whole deal with them is the upgraded sensor over their peers in P&S, unless you're out doors alot, the cheapo P&S is horrible indoors (even some what well lit indoors), they're just sooo sooo bad. They take pictures, you'll see stuff, but it just very unflattering.
11-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
if you're not looking for water proof (like the W90), the super zoom might be something you want, and despite how pentax does in the DSLR world, their P&S is not so hot... besides the tiny canon (sd 780 ect...) that provides no manual what so ever, but canon still kills for P&S, people just eat them up.

Then you have the sony W200 or W300.

and the Panasonic LX lines

Alot of the ones I've recommened above is kindda expensive, but the whole deal with them is the upgraded sensor over their peers in P&S, unless you're out doors alot, the cheapo P&S is horrible indoors (even some what well lit indoors), they're just sooo sooo bad. They take pictures, you'll see stuff, but it just very unflattering.
Had a Sony DSC-W170 and it took good photos for a P&S. Then tried the W290 and the W300 and they were WAY softer across the zoom spectrum than previous Sony products. Reviews indicate that Sony has intentionally gone with a softer feel for its photos. It's why I moved to the Panasonic Lumix ZS-5 which gets nods from many review sites as a superior SuperZoom with good wide angle as well. If you are good at tracking deals it can be had for $215 or less.

11-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a Fuji F10 which is now in the hands of my girlfriends 6 year old... He's taking some cracking shots with it! A six year olds idea of composition is deffo something to consider...

Nothing much in the way of manual (in fact... Practically nothing!!) control but shots usually come out quite nicely...
11-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I have a Fuji F10 which is now in the hands of my girlfriends 6 year old... He's taking some cracking shots with it! A six year olds idea of composition is deffo something to consider...

Nothing much in the way of manual (in fact... Practically nothing!!) control but shots usually come out quite nicely...
the whole fuji f lines is notorious for doing low light shot, I believe some where along the line they made some F models with manual control, I had an F40 that had no manual, but took really nice pictures (for P&S), best low light camera I've had and seen, the canons are over rated, besides their top of the line SD9XX the rest of them are crap, nice designs but not the best bang for the buck when it comes to IQ, but they even fooled me into buying one (dam you canon).
11-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

the whole fuji f lines is notorious for doing low light shot, I believe some where along the line they made some F models with manual control, I had an F40 that had no manual, but took really nice pictures (for P&S), best low light camera I've had and seen, the canons are over rated, besides their top of the line SD9XX the rest of them are crap, nice designs but not the best bang for the buck when it comes to IQ, but they even fooled me into buying one (dam you canon).
Have to agree with you there. We had two Canon P&S at the clinic for light duty in a variety of ways. Both just stopped working. In each instance the lens stopped extending. Googled it and there were Loads of complaints about Canon P&S models that had been assembled other than in Japan. That's when we switched to Sony. Now they've gone with "soft" focusing in their newer models so moved to Panasonic for P&S....
11-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your advices, but as stated previously i'm more inclined to look for a film solution. Currently i cannot afford a P&S that matches my needs.

I've had an f100fd. Pretty much excellent camera for my needs, except for no manual controls and single duration (8 [s]) night mode. Gave it to someone else.
Fast, good low light, high iso just an EV worse than my k200d.
I'm quite aware of the P&S offers and their differences.

I already own F50/1.7, tak 55/1.8 and pentacon 30/3.5. Maybe those can become a part of some nice combo. Although they all have quite a lot glass and metal making them heavy for everyday carrying.

I'm thinking of plastic SLR which uses only single or two of the smaller lithium cells (like CR123 or CR2).
What other *CHEAP* lens options besides Industar 50-2 there are?