Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Extra Wheel on the K7

As I contonue to flip-flop on my decision to buy either a K7 or a K-r, can someone tell me the distinct advantages to the extra wheel on the K7 that is not on the K-r?

Thanks for all the input i have received so far.

Mark

11-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've got one wheel for shutter speed, and one wheel for aperture, and don't have to press a button to switch between the two. The two wheels can also be customized to behave differently in different modes, and are VERY handy in other places inside the menu, such as when you're setting up bracketing:

Of course, on the K-r, you're limited to 3-photo bracketing, so you wouldn't need the front scroll wheel. The above is just an example

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With 2 wheels, in M mode, you can select shutter speed with one wheel and aperture with the other wheel . Or you can see the beauty of Pentax top line DSLR by using TAv mode which ISO floating in Auto range, then with 2 wheels, you select shutter speed, aperture and see the ISO varies with your selections, then you can choose the best posible shutter speed and aperture with the lowest posible ISO for the scene .
11-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You've got one wheel for shutter speed, and one wheel for aperture, and don't have to press a button to switch between the two
So with the K-r I can make adjustments TTL, I just have to "toggle" between shutter and aperture by pressing a button?

QuoteQuote:
TAv mode which ISO floating in Auto range, then with 2 wheels, you select shutter speed, aperture and see the ISO varies with your selections, then you can choose the best posible shutter speed and aperture with the lowest posible ISO for the scene .
So on the K-r the ISO is set and does not give a floating ISO mode option?

I borrowed someones Canon yesterday and liked the ability to do this.

11-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Having both the K2000 (1-wheel) and K7 (2-wheels), I find the K7 much more easier and faster to use. Maybe it's because I use the K7 more, but when I use the K2000, I find it a slight bit irritating to have to push an extra button to get to aperture, where-as on the K7, it's all right there and I don't have to pull the camera away from my face to access both the shutter speed and aperture at the same time.
11-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markt Quote
So on the K-r the ISO is set and does not give a floating ISO mode option?
I would guess that the k-r does the same as the k-x: with ISO set to auto it is auto adjusted in P, Tv and Av.
11-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by markt Quote
As I contonue to flip-flop on my decision to buy either a K7 or a K-r, can someone tell me the distinct advantages to the extra wheel on the K7 that is not on the K-r?

Thanks for all the input i have received so far.

Mark
The extra control-dial is what separates entry-level cameras with the advanced ones. The reason for it is that it lets you operate the camera faster by having to press fewer buttons and avoiding trips through the menu system.

In Manual (M) mode, the benefits are obvious since you can have one dial for aperture and the other for shutter-speed but wait there's more.... Pentax uses both dials very effectively in all modes:
- In Program (P) you can use the dials to enter A or T mode.
- In A or T modes, one dial sets Aperture or Shutter-speed but the other is configurable. I always have it set to change the ISO, but you can also make it shift or apply Exposure-Compensation.
- There are custom assignments for most other modes as well.