Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you'll be limited on speed to Flash sync assuming you want to use strobes so speed is the same on both. I think 3 FPS should be sufficient, (your flashes if they aren't high end strobes won't cycle any faster in any case and at the low end they may not even do this) but you would bet more to choose from at 4.7 fps. 1/180 will stop the action i would think . In any case it is the fastest sync Pentax offers on any model (and if you look back anyone doing this type of shot with 35mm a decade ago would have been lucky to have a 125 sync. or they would have used medium format which offered sync at all speeds (but likely a max speed of 1/500-1/1000)
Alternately you could light with Continuous Light - more expensive than a strobist setup, and you'd be best to look at something that runs cool like Kinoflo. this has the advantage of being usable for Video as well

11-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #47
Ira
Inactive Account

I think you should go for the k-x for the simple reason of buying new for your first serious DSLR.

You're going on an exciting yet sometimes frustrating journey now, and the last thing you need is to worry about whether the camera is somehow defective.

Also:

Don't poo poo the K-x's video capabilities. Using mine for video was the farthest thing from my mind a year ago, but now, man...do I have some projects planned!!!
11-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ahhhhh

Just when I think I have decided on the K20D, someone throws in a comment that makes me think again..

Video on the k-x is not a problem - if it is any good I will use it, if not then Im not missing anything, in 10yrs of ownership, I never recorded one video on my Canon G2..

from the specs, the K20D seems a better camera than the k-x, Im presuming it works OK as it is a post on an pentax forum, and the seller has no way of knowing it wouldn't be bought by a pro who would pick up on an error straight away. Plus, it is in very good condition and seems like it has been looked after..

But something new will elimate the possibility...

Im balancing the k-x and it newness and usability + high ISO against the K20D IQ, more features, but low iso..
11-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Not sure if it's important to you, but the K-x (and possibly the K-r) have
  • no option for wired remote; required if you need to use something that will trigger your camera
  • infrared remote only works from the front, not from the back

11-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K20D has an intervalometer, so you can take up to 99 shots at a set time-span :-)
11-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sod it then, Im going for the K20D as it is alot more camera for the same price as a k-x
11-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #52
Ira
Inactive Account

Done deal yet?
11-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope so - I emailed him this morning to say yes

Can't wait now - just want to get it, get completely lost in the menus, and confused by all the options and try some shots...

edit - he has just replied - 1 K20D is mine

Last edited by edgedemon; 11-19-2010 at 04:20 AM.
11-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

congratulations, i almost bought one myself last week, but decided to wait a bit and go k7/k5 as i already have a k10
11-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #55
Ira
Inactive Account

Congrats! Does he have the manual, or do you have to download it?

For your sake, I hope he has it!

Start hunting for one of those m42 adapters, though.
11-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
I hope so - I emailed him this morning to say yes

Can't wait now - just want to get it, get completely lost in the menus, and confused by all the options and try some shots...

edit - he has just replied - 1 K20D is mine
Congrats on your new camera!
I've been following this topic all the way, but never commented.
I think you made a great choice and am sure you're going to have lots of fun with it. And if you want to go use manual/old lenses, don't forget the Helios 44-2 58 mm. Built like a tank, doesn't cost a lot and gives great sharpness and bokeh.

For now, I hope you can sleep 'till the day you get your camera.
11-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new camera . BTW, you may want to grab a Minolta NP-400 to make it as a spare battery for your new k20D .