Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Checking DOF before I take the shot?

Is there a way that can I check what the DOF will look like before i actually take the shot?

Years ago I shot 35mm film with a Canon TLb. It was a manual everything sort of SLR camera. On the front face of the body there was a lever you could push down on and you could look through the viewfinder and see what the shot would look like based on the f stop setting. It was quick and easy.

Is there something similar I could do with a K7?

11-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. I would suggest reading the manual. Hint: Page 130.

Last edited by boriscleto; 11-16-2010 at 04:51 PM.
11-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure is, the optical preview, activated by pulling the on/off switch little further.
Needs to be enabled in the menu also.
11-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #4

Or, you can just take a picture, review it, and if it looks good keep it, if no scrap it, adjust aperture, rince and repeat.

11-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for pointing out the use of the digital preview button.
What I was able to do with the old film SLR was compose an image, press down on the button and see an image & DOF as it would appear on film based on the aperture...so far that's what I could do with the digital preview or just by snapping the shot. However, the old camera allowed me to change the aperture while the button is press down and view how the change is effecting what I'm seeing DOF wise. Very simultaneous. Changing what you see involved just changing the aperture once that button was down and looking through the viewfinder.
So what I was looking for was the ability to view a digital image in digital preview along with the ability of rotating the aperture dial while viewing the preview to see how the image changes. In preview, rotating the dial zooms into the image. It seems that what I sought isn't possible with a DSLR without backtracking from a digital preview image, changing aperture and then going back into preview. Similar to SLR but involving a few extra steps. Doing this in preview saves me the extra step of deleting the image that I wouldn't want to keep. Thanks again.
11-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
Thanks for pointing out the use of the digital preview button.
What I was able to do with the old film SLR was compose an image, press down on the button and see an image & DOF as it would appear on film based on the aperture...so far that's what I could do with the digital preview or just by snapping the shot. However, the old camera allowed me to change the aperture while the button is press down and view how the change is effecting what I'm seeing DOF wise. Very simultaneous. Changing what you see involved just changing the aperture once that button was down and looking through the viewfinder.
So what I was looking for was the ability to view a digital image in digital preview along with the ability of rotating the aperture dial while viewing the preview to see how the image changes. In preview, rotating the dial zooms into the image. It seems that what I sought isn't possible with a DSLR without backtracking from a digital preview image, changing aperture and then going back into preview. Similar to SLR but involving a few extra steps. Doing this in preview saves me the extra step of deleting the image that I wouldn't want to keep. Thanks again.
Set your camera for Optical Preview and you can use it just as you did your film SLR. FWIW, when using a Manual lens, this is the way I set my exposures in M mode.

Pg 129 in the manual.
11-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks JeffJS
Getting ready for a day of work but I'll read pages 129 & 130 ASAP. I have a M 50mm 1.7 and I'll see what happens in M mode.

11-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Here's another tip for metering that M50 in M mode. Set your Rear E-dial to be shutter speed (default to aperture). That way you can pull the preview with your index finger and set the shutter speed with your thumb

Pg 106.

11-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thesorus Quote
Or, you can just take a picture, review it, and if it looks good keep it, if no scrap it, adjust aperture, rince and repeat.
And I think you'll find this method way more accurate too because you can zoom in and see more clearly.
11-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

And if you *really* like the old Canons like that, you can set spot metering and be pretty close to the 'fat spot' selective area metering those cameras came with.