Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A cheap new manual option with a safe trigger voltage would be the YN-560. I got one from ebay for US$ 65 and it works fine with the k-x. This has a tilt/swivel head, adjustable output, zoom (for controlling the width of the beam), and a slave mode which seems to ignore the pre-flash pulses from the k-x built-in flash. This is mode S2, in the plain slave mode S1 I get erratic results (dark and/or out-of-sync frames) with the built-in as master so I presume the built-in is sending the control pulses, which apparently cannot be turned off. Another thing I might want to turn off in the slave mode would be using the flash as an AF assist lamp as this sometimes triggers the slave. No big deal though, if I eventually get the radio trigger set I ordered from ebay and it actually works (~US$25 shipped for two receivers :-).

01-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
well i hooked up a car volt meter to my sunpak flash and it said 2-2.5 volts now i dont know if this is right so im going to try to get anouther reading from a different volt meter just to confirme that the 2-2.5 is the right read out so I am thinking this flash is probablly safe on my k100d but still i want a second opinion. The volt meter i used was an older one and one for a car so i dont know if that really makes a differents but better safe than sorry.
01-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey! That's great! Thanks for posting that!

Soldbear builds his own for like a BUCK, so the Wein at 50 doesn't make sense.

01-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
well i hooked up a car volt meter to my sunpak flash and it said 2-2.5 volts now i dont know if this is right so im going to try to get anouther reading from a different volt meter just to confirme that the 2-2.5 is the right read out so I am thinking this flash is probablly safe on my k100d but still i want a second opinion. The volt meter i used was an older one and one for a car so i dont know if that really makes a differents but better safe than sorry.
You need to use a digital multimeter. Analog multimeters can give false results for reason far beyond my understanding.