Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I landed a bag of old lens, what to do?

I went on cragslists and a lady was selling a bag of old lens for pentax... I was told some was working and some was not, I have no clue as to how to test them OR a pentax camera to test them... But the whole bag was 30 dollars.. I figured what the heck time to take a crap shot.

So I went home and open the bag (I trusted the lady, and it was night when i met her, so didn't even bother checking).

I've found a few lens to be defective

1X was loose on the zoom (it literally just started extending when i point to the floor)... I'm not sure if it suppose to be like that (i heard older lens tend to do this) so can someone confirm?
1X the aperture doesn't open/close as i twist the switch... that one is a gonner I think.

3X Pentax M 50mm f/2. These seems fine, aperture opens closes all the way, some dust on the lens but I don't see any cracks, any fungus or oil on the blades... I was hoping for some f/1.7 or f/1.4, I don't think anyone uses these dam f/2 lens.

1X Unknown lens, made in korea. 70-210mm f/4-5.6 Everything seems to work, except the zoom slide down/up if I tilt it vertically not sure if it's suppose to do this.

1X Takumar 135mm f/2.5 seems clean, everything seems to work.

Again, I've never had experience with lens or DSLR, i'm just planing to pick up a P-X so I thought 30 bucks what the heck, just throw it out there... I hope it didn't just throw money into the sea lol. I'll check everything tomorrow morning where it's a little brighter, but under my lights everythign seems fine, dusty but no fungus... BTW any one knows how to clean the dust?

11-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, the good news is some older (especially push-pull type) zoom lenses do indeed extend just by pointing them downwards, so as long as the motion is not too fast, it could be normal. (PhotoNotes.org Dictionary - Zoom creep)

The bad news is generic 70-210 lenses are the most boring lenses ever and are worth nothing on the second hand market

More good news, though: three working Pentax-M 50/2 lenses are easily worth $30 alone, and the 135 is decent I'm sure, although "Takumar (Bayonet)" is Pentax' cheapo line from back then (single coated instead of SMC I think.) The 50/2 is certainly unflashy and not as desirable as the 1.7, 1.4 or 1.2 versions, but it is still a good lens, sharp as a motherclucker, and you shouldn't have trouble selling two of them for $15 each to recoup your money, if you want.
11-18-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one where the aperture does not open/close might be normal behaviour. Make and model might be useful.
11-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Why would anyone have 3 50 2s in the first place?

11-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

@Ira - Photo program leftovers? Film body collector leftovers? Not like they've ever been worth all that much. The kit 50mm f/2 isn't a bad lens, its just that there are lots of better 50mm lenses out there. I have hundreds of rolls of film taken with mine.

An air blower works well on loose dust.
11-18-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ira, I have 4-SMC-M 50mm f2.0 lenses; they were package deals with the film cameras I purchased. Many ebay resellers keep this with the film camera they are selling so they can add a couple of dollars to thier minimum allowed bids (or used to do that, under the old ebay rules). They're also sometimes cheaper to get than body caps to put on cameras!
11-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The 70-210mm lens, would it happen to be one like this?
Focal QTII 70-210mm f4-5.6 Auto Zoom Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

All in all, I would say you did very well for $30. Irregardless of the potential reputation of some of the lenses, you now have what - like at least four lenses you can use and explore your photography with. And if you choose, put up for sale for a low, near charitable price in The Marketplace and give someone else the opportunity to decide what they expect from certain lenses and their own photography.
11-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

congrat's on the buy

overall, the $30 is not a total loss.

As for the lenses, while there are lots of F2 50mm lenses around this is still a sharp lens, and a stop faster than any zoom you can get at 50mm so one of them is not bad to have, keep the best and sell the other two for $15 each to cover your total purchase.

the 135F2.5 Takumar, Is this a bayonet or screw mount. If screw mount it is worth probably over $100 if bayonet it is worth about $50. The difference is that the bayonet takumars were cheap lenses without great coatings. they are poorly regarded for this reason, but they are probably better than most 3rd party 135's just no where near as good as either SMC or M42 Takumar 135's which sell for a lot more.

The zooms are probably not worth a lot, and all single ring zooms, even most modern ones suffer from zoom creep so that is not a killer, it is just that old slow zooms are simply old slow lenses.

Is the list of lenses in the post the whole list, or was there more.

Out of this you have at least 2 winners/keepers, 2 worth reselling (50mm F2's) and two zooms that anything you get for them you are ahead of the game.

11-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
congrat's on the buy

overall, the $30 is not a total loss.

As for the lenses, while there are lots of F2 50mm lenses around this is still a sharp lens, and a stop faster than any zoom you can get at 50mm so one of them is not bad to have, keep the best and sell the other two for $15 each to cover your total purchase.

the 135F2.5 Takumar, Is this a bayonet or screw mount. If screw mount it is worth probably over $100 if bayonet it is worth about $50. The difference is that the bayonet takumars were cheap lenses without great coatings. they are poorly regarded for this reason, but they are probably better than most 3rd party 135's just no where near as good as either SMC or M42 Takumar 135's which sell for a lot more.

The zooms are probably not worth a lot, and all single ring zooms, even most modern ones suffer from zoom creep so that is not a killer, it is just that old slow zooms are simply old slow lenses.

Is the list of lenses in the post the whole list, or was there more.

Out of this you have at least 2 winners/keepers, 2 worth reselling (50mm F2's) and two zooms that anything you get for them you are ahead of the game.

upon closer inspection this morning, one of the 50mm f/2 can't focus, that one is out... the 135 f/2.5 is a bayonet, it says so on the lens itself.

also found a tokina 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 also zoom creep...

It's just an impulse buy by me... if i get 1 or 2 to work I think it's good already. time for me to save up and buy a k-x lol.
11-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
The 70-210mm lens, would it happen to be one like this?
Focal QTII 70-210mm f4-5.6 Auto Zoom Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

All in all, I would say you did very well for $30. Irregardless of the potential reputation of some of the lenses, you now have what - like at least four lenses you can use and explore your photography with. And if you choose, put up for sale for a low, near charitable price in The Marketplace and give someone else the opportunity to decide what they expect from certain lenses and their own photography.
this guys is a mind reader. yes it's exactly like that one lol.
11-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
upon closer inspection this morning, one of the 50mm f/2 can't focus, that one is out...
You could think about getting an inexpensive set of extension tubes and using the 50mm that may have focusing issues with the tubes for macro work. Since you will be focusing primarily with moving the lens closer or further from the subject any way, a lens which fails to have a working focus ring might just be spared if only for tasks like extension tube macro.
Just a thought before you think about tossing it out.
11-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
this guys is a mind reader. yes it's exactly like that one lol.
Well congratulations! You may be only the fourth member on the forum who currently still owns a lens such as this.
Read our reviews, use it a little and decide for yourself. Depending on what other lenses you may have, it may be a nice, compact tool.
But first make sure the Ricoh pin is round. I am confident that it is but just make sure.
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

I check Craigs List every day for my area, and for the last year, besides P&S, there has never been any old Pentax gear listed.

The people in my area are idiots.
11-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #14

If you are willing to send the broken aperture lens to me i would enjoy that
I took apart my last purchase on E-bay to fix the aperture.

Try this on the lens with the problem aperture: Hold the lens horizontal and look through it like you would a telescope. Turn the aperture wheel to the highest setting (closed). Rotate the lens. If the aperture closes as you rotate the lens then the spring that holds the aperture open has come loose and is pretty easy to fix.

If its the opposite and the Aperture stays closed when you put the ring to the lowest setting then i have no clue whats wrong.
11-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
... there has never been any old Pentax gear listed.
The people in my area are idiots.
Sounds like they might be smarter than you think, hanging on to their nice old lenses.