Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie need help with K7 custom settings

I'm new to digital. Used to have a Pentax ME and a bunch of lenses (M Series best I can tell), so I've been looking for a good digital Pentax to use with all my lenses. I just received a new K7 and come to find out, of course, the old lenses are a bit cumbersome to use on it. I have read the previous posts and am trying to make the settings for manual operation. The first obstacle is that I can't find the custom settings menu to change the "using Aperture Ring" setting. The manual seems quite simple: In capture mode (which I take to mean ready to take pictures vice playback) press "menu" and cycle through using the 4-way controller. But when I press the menu button, I can see tabs for rec 1 & 2, playback 1, and settings 1-4 (the wrench), but there is no tab for custom settings like shown in the manual. Any ideas out there??? I would much appreciate it because I have a $1100 paper weight right now!

11-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do not have a K7 but I think the wrench is the custom settings menu. On my Kx it is on the last page and is called "Allow use of Aperture Ring" or at least something very close to that. Just read every option in the wrench menu and it will be in there somewhere.
11-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Singledn.

You are correct in assuming the wrench is the custom menu. You are looking for setting 38 'Using aperture ring'. Set it to "Permitted" to enable use of lenses wit aperture rings. I am amazed that Pentax don't just default to this setting, after all, the use of heritage lenses is a major Pentax selling point.

Good luck with a great camera.

Wayne
11-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by singledn Quote
I'm new to digital. Used to have a Pentax ME and a bunch of lenses (M Series best I can tell), so I've been looking for a good digital Pentax to use with all my lenses. I just received a new K7 and come to find out, of course, the old lenses are a bit cumbersome to use on it. I have read the previous posts and am trying to make the settings for manual operation. The first obstacle is that I can't find the custom settings menu to change the "using Aperture Ring" setting. The manual seems quite simple: In capture mode (which I take to mean ready to take pictures vice playback) press "menu" and cycle through using the 4-way controller. But when I press the menu button, I can see tabs for rec 1 & 2, playback 1, and settings 1-4 (the wrench), but there is no tab for custom settings like shown in the manual. Any ideas out there??? I would much appreciate it because I have a $1100 paper weight right now!
I find the K7 and absolute joy to use with Manual lenses. Now that someone has told you how to enable the aperture ring, go a few steps further..

1. In that same custom menu, find Preview (Pg 129-130) and make sure it's at Optical.

2. Set the e-dials (in the custom menu) so Shutter speed (Tv) is on the Rear dial when in M mode. Pg 106.
2a. I also find it useful for Tv mode, to have the ISO on the front wheel, and shutter speed on the rear dial. For Av, same thing except Aperture is on the rear dial (with ISO on the front).

3. Just for grins and giggles, turn on Catch In Focus while you're in there (pg 128).

4. When you use your M (or K) lenses, set the camera to M mode.

5. Focus as you normally would.

6. Pull the preview lever as described in the manual which will activate the meter.

7. Adjust your aperture ring with the ring (assuming these are not A type lenses) and use the Rear dial on the camera to set your shutter speed.

8. Take your picture.

9. Sit back and admire your results now that you know your camera is not a paperweight.

Welcome aboard.

11-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I am amazed that Pentax don't just default to this setting, after all, the use of heritage lenses is a major Pentax selling point.
Yeah, especially when there is apparently no need need to have it disabled.
11-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you but still can't find it

Thank you the replies, I really appreciate your help. But I took a long and detailed look at all the options available in the menu and the custom settings are missing. In fact I only have half of the record settings the manual describes. The manual clearly shows that I should have a separate tab marked "C" in the menu but it is not there. I pondered the idea that I needed to be in some other mode before pushing the menu button for a while, and changed some settings but finally gave up on that idea. I'm beginning to think the software in this particular camera body wasn't loaded correctly and will probably return it to the on-line store I purchased it from.

Much abliged for your help!
11-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Get out of green mode and lots of settings become accessible Including the C for Custom menu

11-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Say again?

Thanks for the hint Sterretje and I'll certainly try that tonight. Sorry to be a bother but remember the newbie part that started off this thread. Can you please expound on the "get out of green mode" part? How does one do that?
11-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Set your mode dial to anything but the green block (P, Av, etc). Further follow JeffJS's instructions in post 4 and he mentions Manual mode (the M on that dial).

Good luck
11-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Seriously? The dial on the top of your camera next to the viewfinder. Also known as the Mode dial (pg 39). Press the little button in the center of it that keeps it locked in place and put it on some other mode. Your Custom menu will then be available.

11-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, I know

Thanks for all your help Jeffjs and Sterretje . In my defense I have good knowledge of photography from my years of taking 35mm slides with the ME Super. But it was a shock to me how complicated the digital camera was when I got the manual. I just have to get used to all the settings.

JeffJS, I printed your instructions to this post and I'll go through that procedure this evening.
11-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

That's alright.. I've been at these cameras for 4 years and couldn't understand why you couldn't fine the (C)ustom menu until somebody else brought up the Green Mode (not to be confused with the Green Button). That's how often I use the green mode (the green rectangle on the mode dial). Get past this one hurdle and you'll find what a nice camera the K7 really is.

11-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Don't worry too much. When you put it in M, it will be nearly the same
11-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My first SLR was an ME Super, now I simply use any camera in Av mode to emulate that fabled beast...